Hunting in Wombat State Forest VIC?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting in Wombat State Forest VIC?

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jun 2016, 12:03 am

halfcocked wrote:Read this whole thread. Not 1 person has shot a single pest this decade it seems.

Not correct. I picked up a fox 8 or 9 months ago. That was my laat trip to Wombat
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shorti85 » 26 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm

I've got quite a few bunnies in wombat and every time I go to a certain spot there are a few foxes too but I never have my rifle with me when I go past
if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by halfcocked » 26 Jun 2016, 8:33 pm

Ahhh good work fellas. I went to toolangi today only saw 1 wallaby as i walked down the mountain to sight in. Didnt walk around much though
halfcocked
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 05 Jul 2016, 2:40 pm

Shorti85 wrote:I've got quite a few bunnies in wombat and every time I go to a certain spot there are a few foxes too but I never have my rifle with me when I go past

They check the back of your truck for rifles before they show themselves :unknown:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Questions for wombat state forest

Post by WildHunter » 17 Aug 2016, 6:56 pm

FuzzyM wrote:
Varmtr wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:What sort of deer? I have never seen deer sign.

I have shot a few goats there but must be 20 or more yrs ago, down the south end. Have seen pig sign but only on 3 or 4 occasions, never seen one.

I have been told on a few occasions of wild dogs in the area. A friend from work who is also a shooter was camping with his 5yo daughter at Firth Park. He said they just got to sleep when he heard what sounded like a kangaroo bounding through the camp. Then just as he turned the light on in the tent there was was something pressing against the tent above his daughter's face. Which then gave it 5 knuckles and its reply was a yelp.

We had someone walk through our dead end camp in the middle of nowhere in wombat state forest one night.
Didn't have firearms yet either :shock:

Have heard some weird stories from other campers of strange blokes in the middle of the night.

My mate told me he was camping/hunting with four friends, they were settling down to sleep when they heard chanting that was getting louder and louder. They literally threw everything in the car and drove out with their guns pointing out the window.
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 18 Aug 2016, 10:11 pm

Chanting? Some times when a jet plane flies high over the top of the range the sound builds in waves for a few minutes before the plane passes over head and I rekon that could be mistaken for chanting. Probably got something to do with how the terrain interacts with the sound waves, but then I'm no acoustics engineer.

Whatever it was you mates are safer sleeping in the forest at night than in their suburban homes
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by happyhunter » 18 Aug 2016, 10:12 pm

..or maybe it was a snake cult doing human sacrifices :D
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by WildHunter » 19 Aug 2016, 4:15 pm

The reckoned it was some weird cult s***
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 19 Aug 2016, 6:06 pm

...and the weird cult people be like, holly crap, that was close, glad those militant crazzy nutjobs speeding around at night with guns pointing out the window didn't approach us...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 20 Aug 2016, 2:04 pm

juststarting wrote:...and the weird cult people be like, holly crap, that was close, glad those militant crazzy nutjobs speeding around at night with guns pointing out the window didn't approach us...

Bahh hahaha.... Eggs Zachary!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by WildHunter » 21 Aug 2016, 12:23 pm

Someone should start a thread called weird s*** that happened to them in WSF haha
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 16 Feb 2017, 8:52 am

Does anyone know if lerderderg is legal to hunt aswell as wombat as they are both touching but wombat is a state forest and lerderderg is a state park?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 16 Feb 2017, 9:15 am

State 'Park' is very much no go with firearms
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by WhelanLad » 19 Feb 2017, 11:14 am

gma.vic.gov.au
WhelanLad
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 23 Feb 2017, 3:53 pm

Chanting? sure it wasn't those mental wombats barking?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by taffy4x4 » 25 Feb 2017, 11:57 am

Ha, I was just about to start typing then I looked at the date of the post, I'm a couple of years too late but I'll give my input anyway. I used to live in the Wombat area and I still have friends there, unfortunately shooting in a lot of areas has been spoilt by weekend idiots coming up from Melbourne thinking their Rambo. I have friends who have had stock shot and one mate has a bullet hole in his house. Unless you spend the time to introduce yourself to landholders or make sure you are well away from any properties you may find that the local coppers have been called.
Life is not a test drive
taffy4x4
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ChazG » 05 Oct 2019, 6:47 pm

Gday! Does anyone know what wombat SF is like these days, chasing some deer, will be down that way next weekend. Cheers!
ChazG
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Howzee » 30 Nov 2019, 7:44 am

Good to see someone else wrote in this a few weeks ago. Only just joined up. Was wondering the same thing. Haven’t gotten a chance to hunt state forest before. Was wanting to get a pig. Or anything really. If anyone has any tips or is going and wants someone to tag along. I’m keen to learn new stuff. All I’ve done before is spot light in paddocks. Any help would be good. Cheers.
Howzee
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Dec 2019, 8:43 am

ChazG wrote:Gday! Does anyone know what wombat SF is like these days, chasing some deer, will be down that way next weekend. Cheers!

There are pigs, goats and deer in there. But its proximity to the burbs and the trail bike, 4x4 & hunting activity makes it dificult to hunt these days. Travel further.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey