Before...and after....Sambar stag at wallow....Then on wall

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Before...and after....Sambar stag at wallow....Then on wall

Post by brinny » 02 Feb 2020, 11:32 am

Not often you get pics like this of stags at their wallows and then get the stag in the next gulley two days later.....
Camera is my mates homebrew using a Sony S600 camera....Stag went 25 inches and i took him with my Remington Mdl 700 308....

A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Before...and after....Sambar stag at wallow....Then on w

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Feb 2020, 11:57 am

Fantastic pics Mate,,,,, congrats :thumbsup:
However,,, I've never hunted Sambar so I know sweet f a about them.
The last pic standing on hind feet,,,,,,,,,,, What is he doing ?
If you say urinating on the tree,, I'll start getting some Stainless urinals set up for all his mates. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brinny » 02 Feb 2020, 12:22 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Fantastic pics Mate,,,,, congrats :thumbsup:
However,,, I've never hunted Sambar so I know sweet f a about them.
The last pic standing on hind feet,,,,,,,,,,, What is he doing ?
If you say urinating on the tree,, I'll start getting some Stainless urinals set up for all his mates. :lol: :lol: :lol:

\
Ha ha ha....No ....not urinating....Its called preaching....Rubbing his scent glands up on the tree....Sort of like when a dog cocks his leg and marks his spot everywhere....sort of simillar to that....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 02 Feb 2020, 12:27 pm

He’s actually hiding behind the tree so that when a hunter walks by he can jump out from behind the tree and yell BOO. In a very loud voice Top pics. Not often I compliment a photo but one of those was so clear it was as if I was there sitting in the ferns myself .......I now feel no need to endure the effort and expense of a high country samba hunt because I already been there ... thanks brinny
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Feb 2020, 1:41 pm

very nice :thumbsup:
tons of snags in that one, great trophy head :thumbsup:
your a lucky bloke that has a missus that will let you have dead things in the house :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brinny » 02 Feb 2020, 1:57 pm

marksman wrote:very nice :thumbsup:
tons of snags in that one, great trophy head :thumbsup:
your a lucky bloke that has a missus that will let you have dead things in the house :drinks:

He was and is a very nice stag mate....Some of my heads were here before the wife was mate....and i have been with her for 33 years....She doesnt like me hunting at all but accepts its what i do and she has never once put restrictions on me, or my heads....She actually likes them, but doesnt like how i get them...as in hunting them i mean....So yep...i am a lucky bloke....Im still working on her to scalp my foxes for me...Not having much luck there though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 5:58 pm

Lol...
What is it she doesnt like Brinny...

Cutting through that cartilage of the ears...peeling & cutting the snout lips & wet nose off..the amount of moisture that seeps out of a fresh scalp....or is it the look of that eye when you finally get the scalp past it... , :lol:

You should record when you ask her & post link to the video it in the Joke thread..or in the fox pages.... :thumbsup:

So...on topic...
Great pics & mount... :clap: ..well done... :thumbsup:

But you missed the bit in between the pics & mount Brinny...the story, how long from finding the wallow to the shot, how far, what rifle, a stalk or a stakeout...etc etc...

But...very nice pics & head... :clap:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 02 Feb 2020, 6:43 pm

[quote="Stix"]Lol...
What is it she doesnt like Brinny...

Cutting through that cartilage of the ears...peeling & cutting the snout lips & wet nose off..the amount of moisture that seeps out of a fresh scalp....or is it the look of that eye when you finally get the scalp past it... , :lol:

You should record when you ask her & post link to the video it in the Joke thread..or in the fox pages.... :thumbsup:

So...on topic...
Great pics & mount... :clap: ..well done... :thumbsup:

But you missed the bit in between the pics & mount Brinny...the story, how long from finding the wallow to the shot, how far, what rifle, a stalk or a stakeout...etc etc...

But...very nice pics & head... :clap:

Not much of a story to tell Stix....
Mate found the wallow sometime prior...and put the camera on it....We went back a few months later and checked it......swapped over cards and went into the next gulley and started for the bottom...where we were going to split up and take a side gulley each for the day and meet up at a given time that afternoon.....
Took us a few hours to get to the bottom...as we were constantly looking as we were heading down.......as soon as we did...the stag was standing there next to some thick bush....He took off when he saw us...He was around the 80-100m away...
I took a quick shot with my 308 and hit him hard in the chest....He got into the thick bush but for some reason came back out and started to head up the hill....where the bush was sparce and light....He was pretty buggered and quickly pulled up with his head down.....I gave him another to the neck and it was all over....
After the butchering and caping was done, we loaded up what meat we could carry out and prepared for the long haul out....
My mate had made a waypoint on his GPS before we dropped over the side....He clicked on it to see how far it was to the top....and it was just shy of 1000m.....Straight up....Side gulleys were far to thick to even think about sidling around....
Was a tough trip up....Then we had the walk out.....
Couple of pretty knackered, but happy old deer hunters by the time we got back......

brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 6:58 pm

Thats a good little tale Brinny... :thumbsup:

Plenty of us here reading that can relate to it...

Put it this way...eventually seeing the pics in a stick book gets a little boring...but when there's a story to tell, that we either relate to, or want to relate to, it makes for a good time... :)

And I rekon the story adds a fourth dimension to the pics... :thumbsup:
And thats a helluva trek...!

Good stuff... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 02 Feb 2020, 7:08 pm

it is a good story :thumbsup:

l've had a couple of hard ones myself, although l do try and plan things a bit better now not that it always comes to plan :drinks:

you've got black spot like me :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by brinny » 02 Feb 2020, 7:47 pm

marksman wrote:it is a good story :thumbsup:

l've had a couple of hard ones myself, although l do try and plan things a bit better now not that it always comes to plan :drinks:

you've got black spot like me :lol:

Cheers marksman....
Put in quite a few hard years hunting with a hound team back in the early to late 80s.....back then deer were nowhere near as plentiful as they are now, and we really had to work our butts off to get what we did.....
Like you, nowadays i like to do things a tad easier and not doing the real long hikes in the bush where we used to go....no need to now anyway....Theres that many deer out there ....
That black spot is catching thats for sure.....or am i being racist in saying that??? :oops: :oops: :oops: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brinny » 02 Feb 2020, 7:51 pm

Stix wrote:Thats a good little tale Brinny... :thumbsup:

Plenty of us here reading that can relate to it...

Put it this way...eventually seeing the pics in a stick book gets a little boring...but when there's a story to tell, that we either relate to, or want to relate to, it makes for a good time... :)

And I rekon the story adds a fourth dimension to the pics... :thumbsup:
And thats a helluva trek...!

Good stuff... :)

I have a dozen or so heads on the wall Stix....and everyone of them has its own tale of how it was hunted.....
Some interesting hunts in amoung them i can tell you....
Sometimes when im home alone and sit back with a coffee and look at them remembering some of those hunts very fondly indeed....
To others the heads are really worthless....but to me, the memory of those hunts are worth a million dollars..... :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Feb 2020, 9:24 pm

Yes Brinny...i remember the pic you posted here once showing (i think from memory) 3 of those mounts... :)
And they were pretty spectacular... :thumbsup:
I seem to remember a fancy lamp on a buffe/cupboard ... :unknown: ... :lol:

Anyway...i rekon you should take the time to document those tales mate...!!

Once you've gone, those trophies will, as you say, just be heads to others...(with the exception of your beneficiaries ofcourse... :) ).
But with a story to go with them, they'll be like an old milsurp...well kind of...you get my drift...they'll have more value with a self documented mini biography to go with them...

Just think of the legend you'll be in the eyes of a modern day hunter who has one of your collection in 500 years time--think of them in their antique Sako collection gun room with their thermal flux boosted Axiomaline plasma enhanced laser hunting rig that fires from their eyewear & is triggered by thought... :lol: :lol: ..

But aside from that...id sure enjoy reading each tale, as im sure many others from all walks would also...from the experienced such as yourself who've been there, right down to blokes that havnt even got a gun licence yet but yearn to get out & live it...!!

Lots of us have tales...sometimes even the little ones are crackers...!!!
Recently i got sick of people telling me a full moon is useless for spotlighting cos you can't get within cooee of game, so on foot i stalked up to within 10 metres of 2 seperate foxes under a full moon... :lol: ...id love to tell that story, but people are watching... :? :lol:

So when is your book series first release Brinny...?... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brinny » 03 Feb 2020, 6:41 pm

Stix wrote:Yes Brinny...i remember the pic you posted here once showing (i think from memory) 3 of those mounts... :)
And they were pretty spectacular... :thumbsup:
I seem to remember a fancy lamp on a buffe/cupboard ... :unknown: ... :lol:

Anyway...i rekon you should take the time to document those tales mate...!!

Once you've gone, those trophies will, as you say, just be heads to others...(with the exception of your beneficiaries ofcourse... :) ).
But with a story to go with them, they'll be like an old milsurp...well kind of...you get my drift...they'll have more value with a self documented mini biography to go with them...

Just think of the legend you'll be in the eyes of a modern day hunter who has one of your collection in 500 years time--think of them in their antique Sako collection gun room with their thermal flux boosted Axiomaline plasma enhanced laser hunting rig that fires from their eyewear & is triggered by thought... :lol: :lol: ..

But aside from that...id sure enjoy reading each tale, as im sure many others from all walks would also...from the experienced such as yourself who've been there, right down to blokes that havnt even got a gun licence yet but yearn to get out & live it...!!

Lots of us have tales...sometimes even the little ones are crackers...!!!
Recently i got sick of people telling me a full moon is useless for spotlighting cos you can't get within cooee of game, so on foot i stalked up to within 10 metres of 2 seperate foxes under a full moon... :lol: ...id love to tell that story, but people are watching... :? :lol:

So when is your book series first release Brinny...?... :lol:

Well, unfortunately ill be taking the tales to the grave mate, there certainly wont be any books....not my style.........The time to tell the tales is when your with some great mates ...(and even some new chums) ..around the camp fire out in the bush....and not only tell some, but listen to others as well.....and thats about the extent of it....
The legendary status belongs to those that earn the title.....I have no interest in it, nor do i want it.....I have had the privilege of hunting with some of the best hunters i have seen over many many years that the title of legend would fit well too....
So if we ever end up catching up arpound the campfire mate....Ill fill you in :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stu222 » 01 Mar 2020, 8:14 pm

Bloody brilliant mate. Good mount too.
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Mar 2020, 9:04 pm

Cool pics, mount and story.
Seeing things like this encourages me to get out there more...deer season has just opened here...game on.

I think the story that comes with a head has a time and place for telling - I’ve seen some plaques under some heads that recount the stalk but in my op, it needs the persons voice, the hunters recollection AND his want to recount....some ppl like to lock their stories away just for them, and when you ask em - you get a wry smile and a couple words before a change of subject...here is where some of the best stories live lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey