Hunting methods, whats your preference?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting methods, whats your preference?

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2020, 5:53 pm

Sooooo,, whats your prefered method of hunting?

I like to ambush vermin, for example waiting over a dam. Or I like whistling foxes. What about stalking, spot lighting? What do you like most?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Hunting methods, whats your preference?

Post by Blr243 » 06 Feb 2020, 6:46 pm

I'm gradually becoming more interested in confidently taking foxes and cats so I'm researching how I can b more accurate because I am more of a close r range pig hunter so I'm thinking of a fast flat 204 Kruger but I might end up just using 58 pills in my 243 a nice fat barreled tikka or howa sounds appealing I al so want to improve my chances of getting more wild dog action.... and I a also want more big boars I had thought that to get more big boars I would just have to be doing a ton of bunting and sooner or later I will luck onto some good ones but I think I need to b smarter and wise up t o when and where the best boars will b
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Feb 2020, 6:49 pm

The entire northern boundary of my best place has a river th a t is now totally full so I have to work out how to move thru that thick stuff along the river to get the pigs I'm confident will b there .....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Feb 2020, 6:51 pm

My dog is not the best for catching pigs but I recently met a young hunter who has good dogs and good access so looking fwd to dogging again and getting thermal video of the action
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 06 Feb 2020, 7:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sooooo,, whats your prefered method of hunting?

I like to ambush vermin, for example waiting over a dam. Or I like whistling foxes. What about stalking, spot lighting? What do you like most?

Well well...Im a little surprised to hear you ask this OB...and so i wonder the response ill get this time... :unknown:

I cant help but say this because in relatively recent past ive had you make comment that me spotlighting foxes is an unfair advantage, alluding to the fact its almost unsportsmanlike, despite the fact i have to navigate fences, gates, crops, terrain, and stock, not choke on whistles, all the while having to drive, spot, shoot, keep a mental compass in check, monitor everything around me almost to the point of sensory overload..all the while trying to interpret their behavior given the time of year and breeding cycles in being aware of different areas that are reactive to subtle seasonal changes...___....and here i see you not liking to not move anywhere & just lie in wait for an ambush... :unknown:
HHmmm,,,

My two favourite things to do are walking around with a shotgun & having bunnies pop up when least expected...but that is very rare these days given the sparcity of bunnies...
Sniping bunnies beyond 200, but keeping to just within achievable distances whilst also challenging myself, but still so as to execute effective head shots...(included in this is shooting them under light at distance)...
And...dare i say...spotlighting foxes...i love spotlighting foxes...!!!!
(hows my maths-?-anyone keeping count... :unknown: :lol: )

Also, as i get older, i am beginning to enjoy the challenge (i think its a challenge), of both being able to take up tension on the trigger, but also being willing in letting the shot go if i have a given element of doubt about the shot...
For example...im pleased i relinquished the opportunity to take a shot on a fox (ive had this situation a few times in the last year), when it has been close to the farmers house...knowing full well its 99.99998997% likely a fox, and within what i consider to be my proven effective range with my 204, 300 yds, but far enough to not be able to entirely identify it under light as a dog or fox...
I consider it learning for one...watching it for 20 mins, come closer, then meander away...filtering the termoil of not having taken the shot, is better than either having shot a dog you know & love (i get to know ALL the dogs on the farms i shoot, & they love it when uncle Stix comes with bones & pats), or injuring an animal...
There are foxes that have outlived my hunting skills, two that i can recall that were amazing in their stealth & knowledge of me...cudos to them...in a way, i hope they lived full lives, despite having been terrorised by me... :lol:

Also, i have a given amount of "wobble" i allow--dont ask me to quantify this...it differs with every shot...but lets say knocking over roos...if im taking them at 192 yds & have movement in the reticle, they live...simple as that...i shoot with a 204, so if they sit looking at me for 10 mins then hop away, they live... but if at 120 & there is reticle movement across an inch of the roos brain box & a quick shot is required, unfortunately for the roo its lights out...

Anyway...just realised im off track...strange as its unlike me to waffle...!!!...

I should add, if youre a sporting shooter & hunter, & shotgunning bunnies that launch themselves out of warrens from stuffing ferrets down holes doesn't get your blood pumping & appear on the top of your list ...then you must either be dead & not know it, or never have experienced it... :)

Deer...clean headshots at modest distances from a well rested position...under spotlight i like...(although not if its its only 2 degrees)...clean and humane, and all the meat we retain... :lol:

Goats...love the hunt...the stalk...the flurry of rapid activity & or the clean instant kill at decent but modest ranges...
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 06 Feb 2020, 10:34 pm

My preference depends on the terrain and quarry to be hunted.

https://youtu.be/SYpRTOM2qLY
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flutch » 06 Feb 2020, 11:28 pm

my favs are spotlighting and fox/pig drives as well as some big country spot and stalk on donks and so on.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ferrisweil » 06 Feb 2020, 11:31 pm

1) chasing pigs in the daytime through lignum and lime bush with shotties on foot..
2) stalking pigs on foot at night with the thermal.

I can’t split the two but I’d lean towards the thermal.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Feb 2020, 5:07 am

At present mate I’d say my favourite is chasing pigs on the quad. Next up is off the shooting the pigs off the Ute that the dogs don’t catch, and then stalking in on them.
Got the thermal on the way so would expect that ambush and stalking at night will be my favourite shortly.
Actually I love any kind of hunting.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Feb 2020, 5:53 am

Stalking and calling for me.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Am88 » 07 Feb 2020, 9:53 am

Spotlighting and head shooting deer of the back of the Ute. However this has become more of a challenge lately due to no fires being through of late and the brush is thick so it's moved to on foot.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 07 Feb 2020, 11:53 am

I am a tad aging, and although I do like to walk around looking for game, I find that I prefer to have a "hide" in areas where game is found to be active. The property that I hunt on allows me to do this as there is usually only me around to go hunting.
I am comfortable with this style, I take a flask of tea of tea, sit and just wait.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 08 Feb 2020, 3:31 pm

Bugman wrote:I am a tad aging, and although I do like to walk around looking for game, I find that I prefer to have a "hide" in areas where game is found to be active. The property that I hunt on allows me to do this as there is usually only me around to go hunting.
I am comfortable with this style, I take a flask of tea of tea, sit and just wait.

I know what you mean and i sit there in style.

https://youtu.be/_VlaKYyHHiw
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by davef » 19 Feb 2020, 12:36 pm

I have only got 1 fallow by spotlight got the bug now have been walking around looking but no luck in the last few months (seen plenty)
I am going to try the hide as I have a fair idea where they are coming out of the bush to feed in the paddocks next few weeks I hope to have a full freezer
davef
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey