Advice on 12Ga load for hunting pigs

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Advice on 12Ga load for hunting pigs

Post by womble » 23 Jul 2020, 4:21 am

Because in Australia our laws are f***ing gay
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 23 Jul 2020, 4:25 am

Which incidentally, answers most of the questions you will have. :problem:
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 26 Jul 2020, 10:13 pm

Learn to reload 12ga buckshot and you can get a lot more out of them.

A standard 2.75" case 12ga can actually handle 12x 00/SG pellets at full power.
Or 20 pellets of the US 's no. 1 buck. Devestating load, much heavier pellet than SSG and two extra pellets to boot.(Our SSG for the record is between US no 2 and 3 buck in sizes. No 4 buck is smaller as you know)
A 3" case ,which many shotguns chamber, can handle 15 x 00/SG.
A 3.5" case( which are available in some double barrels, I think Hatsan does an affordable one off the top of my head) can handle 18 pellets of 00/SG or 50 pellets of No.4 buck.

You also used to be able to get winchester and raytrade(remington) to do special orders of the american loaded buckshot if you order a case or more( 250 shellls) through your LGS. I have brought in factory loaded 12x00, 15x00 and 18x 00 in the past from them and the 1 buck load mentioned above.

http://www.ballsticproducts.com in the US are great to deal with and have all the components for loading.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2020, 2:15 pm

Mick I had no idea we could improve on our big ball loads. I wonder why the yanks have it and we don’t
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 29 Jul 2020, 1:35 am

yeah mate, our factory loads are quite moderate for 12gauge. If you get the right wads and hulls etc you can stack a lot more buckshot into cases. I often wondered myself why winchester/olin back in the day settled on making/importing all the pedestrian stuff. I guess it did the job and as Aussies could still use pumps and semi-autos if you wanted more buckshot you just pulled the trigger more often. Also the heavy cases are more expensive compared to US so maybe they thought it wouldnt be marketable here.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey