Going Pigging

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Going Pigging

Post by marcus_pearce07 » 20 Feb 2020, 6:39 pm

i've been pigging for a little bit now but have been using a .223 Remington. i know that that's all i'll really need, but i'm looking for something with a bit more oomph. I have my eyes on the Marlin 336 XLR, but that's only my inexperienced opinion. just wondering if any of you guys had a few more suggestions.
marcus_pearce07
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Going Pigging

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2020, 11:21 pm

100_4045.JPG
100_4045.JPG (737.97 KiB) Viewed 4430 times
100_3431.JPG
100_3431.JPG (616.35 KiB) Viewed 4430 times
Yeah, I had one of those more or less as a safe queen.
It rarely got used, and I just recently sold it.
If yer want a dedicated pig rifle I'd lean toward a .308 bolt action,, but if you wanna get up close and personal with Ms Piggy,,,
I'd consider a Remy 7600 also in .308
I also had one of those (in the factory camo,,,,, but it too rarely got used and I sold it ages ago.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 21 Feb 2020, 11:32 pm

308, 270; anything like that, and then depends how you’re getting them? Off the ute, quad bike? Lignum? In the lime bush?
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2020, 7:30 am

Marlin make good reliable rifles. Had a 336 in 3030. Regret selling it. Now got 2 bolt actions. (X7s). Plenty accurate enough with hand loads.
Get a 308. Cant go wrong.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 22 Feb 2020, 9:22 am

When I think of lever guns I think of 357/44/3030/ When pigs are really thick , In the past I have hunted with these close range mainly no scopes but if a decent pig requires a shot at 200 or a fox presents itself at 150 I like a scoped flat shooting centrefire ... it helps me take care of most situations
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by snag » 22 Feb 2020, 6:25 pm

Depends on the range you're shooting of course, but for jumping on mobs of hogs you can't beat an open sighted .30/30. A lot of people like to fit a peep sight but, in reality, factory open sights are just as fast with a bit of practice. Especially the Model 94 Winchester (goes without saying really).
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2020, 4:59 am

Depending on the type of country and method of hunting mate. I use a .308 for the open stuff, or on foot in the swamps, and a 300AAC for the closer range stuff, ie, chasing them on quad bike, off the Ute, or in the rubber vine.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 23 Feb 2020, 7:25 am

I've only ever shot them with a bow,but where I hunted them,my lever action 44 mag or a shotgun loaded with.buckshot would have been perfect
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stu222 » 01 Mar 2020, 8:13 pm

3030 in Win94 - good days in QLD.
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 02 Mar 2020, 6:32 pm

Remington 7600 in 308 or Marlin 45-70. Those hogs will drop real quick. All comes down to what you want to spend mate.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Mar 2020, 7:15 pm

FWIW, A Marlin is almost as easy to clean from the breech, as a bolt action. A 7600 is more difficult than both of those but Marlins have a reputation that I found very off-putting.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Mar 2020, 10:30 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:FWIW, A Marlin is almost as easy to clean from the breech, as a bolt action. A 7600 is more difficult than both of those but Marlins have a reputation that I found very off-putting.

I'm presuming your referring to the current day "Marlingtons"

The good old JM stamped (pre Remington take over) Marlins were quite good. :thumbsup:

:drinks: :friends:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by flutch » 03 Mar 2020, 12:16 am

If ya close enough a 410 with solid is gonna rattle their cages more than enough
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Mar 2020, 12:00 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I'm presuming your referring to the current day "Marlingtons"

The good old JM stamped (pre Remington take over) Marlins were quite good. :thumbsup:

:drinks: :friends:

You are sight; I was referring to "Marlingtons". :thumbsup:
It is a great pity that I bought a Rossi Rio Grande (junk), then a Mossberg 464(worse junk), after reading about "Marlingtons". Reviews for both were good but my experience with both was anything but.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2020, 1:23 pm

This is what happens when big business only gives a fuk about profits. The customer is only a means to increase profit and stiff s**t if he doesnt like it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey