Who's venturing out for a hunt?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Who's venturing out for a hunt?

Post by solarpak » 01 Apr 2020, 2:26 pm

Hi Folks,
I was reading an on-line piece by Michael Gibson on the Sporting Shooter website. I have met Michael and he isa very knowledgable hunter and nice bloke too.
He said that hunting with family members in this time of social distancing is a away to get some meat in the larder - which is valid.

Who out there is still getting out for a shot?

I have a deer hunt planned in May and June - but at the minute i havent cancelled - but will call the property owner and see what they say before i come down.
They may be ok with hunters accessing their property as long as social distancing measures are stuck to - or then again them may want to minimise risk and not want anyone there. I dont know what the answer will be.

Has anyone had any direction from landowners as to what they wanted - hunting to continue or no hunting for the foreseeable time?

Stay safe all,
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Who's venturing out for a hunt?

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Apr 2020, 3:41 pm

Ummm....regardless of the “want” - the message cannot be any clearer to help prevent the spread of this disease - stay at home?

You think you can get to bush and back without involving anyone else, but you cannot foresee possible scenarios...a car accident (you/others), a mechanical failure, someone else needing help, etc etc...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Apr 2020, 5:22 pm

Had a trip out west all planned for an extended Easter break and I spoke to the property owner on the weekend. He wasn't fazed at all because the donga I camp in is 20kms from the farm house and I often don't see him or another person when I'm out there, I just call to let him know when I'm on the block and when I've left. I cancelled and will stay home this time though. The virus will get out there soon enough, but I'm not going to be the fella who took it there.
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 01 Apr 2020, 6:33 pm

my trips finished just over a week ago but l am hoping to get out in another maybe 3 weeks or so
the last trip was there and back, no stops and taking it easy
its a wait a see plan at the moment for what is going to happen
we all have to think about all the scenarios that can happen

best of all l am getting all my little jobies done that the trouble and strife has been wanting done for a long while
happy wife happy life :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 01 Apr 2020, 6:46 pm

I wish! The owner of the property I shoot on, preferred me not at the moment, purely because he is almost 70, in the danger age group. No stress, that's fair enough I think. I'm happy to stay home at the moment. I really think the food on the table hunt reason should be applicable, like fishing for food, just the same.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 01 Apr 2020, 7:07 pm

Yeah it’s tough to know what to do. Property owner where I go actually WANTS me to come out. I can get out there and back without fueling up, I’m isolated out there. I’m more worried about getting pulled over on the way out there. I mean there’s cars everywhere on the road but......
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 01 Apr 2020, 9:39 pm

still going out locally here, one owner has been ringing me up almost begging me to come out as he's lambing and has been seeing foxes everywhere during the day while checking on the sheep, I'm currently the only one allowed on there and if don't go he'll have someone else on there

another property 5km out of town I've been ducking out to and picking off the numerous hares to fill the freezer with back up dog food and I'll be doing a very quick trip in the next few nights to another property to get a couple of younger eating deer for our freezer and also get the owners some dog food as they aren't keen on going in to town unless they really have to

in all of the cases above I have no actual contact with the owners, where I drop off the dog food I use disposable gloves while cutting up the meat and I leave it in a feed bag that he leaves out for me
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 01 Apr 2020, 11:30 pm

Well venturing out to kill some kangaroo soon as I am having to knock a sheep or two over as well due to the rampant profiteering and price gouging at the local store due to panic buyers I will be making choice cuts from the sheep and using the remainder to make mince from the lamb flanks/fat and so on as well as lean roo meat. Usually do it once in a while anyway but with the old duck and boy wanting rissoles and burgers and meatloaf and all those mince related things, the local has gone from charging between $5 and $7 per kilo for mince to $19 a kilo, lamb chops and roast are sitting up around $60 a kilo, bloody outrageous
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Apr 2020, 7:21 am

Businesses can be fined for flaunting social distancing laws.
It's a tricky situation for farmers because while we need the pests killed we also don't want the fine attached.
Hunting has not been added to the list of reasons to leave home.
If I as a farm owner allowed you to come and hunt I could be seen to be encouraging you to break the law

It only takes 10% of people to be selfish and leave home to ruin the work of everyone else staying home
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 02 Apr 2020, 8:15 am

Farmerpete wrote:
It only takes 10% of people to be selfish and leave home to ruin the work of everyone else staying home

Yep. Plenty of meat at the supermarket. We are being asked to stay home for a very good reason. If people can’t get the message while we are watching nearly a thousand a day dying in a number of countries then I give up. Doesn’t matter if you don’t stop for fuel or food on the way. The message is quite simple - stay home.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 10:15 am

Peter988 wrote:
Yep. Plenty of meat at the supermarket. We are being asked to stay home for a very good reason. If people can’t get the message while we are watching nearly a thousand a day dying in a number of countries then I give up. Doesn’t matter if you don’t stop for fuel or food on the way. The message is quite simple - stay home.

Might be "plenty of meat at the shops" but I'm not paying 3x the already high price for meat I can harvest myself for $1 a shot and $5 of diesel.

Not everyone that goes out to harvest some meat needs to encounter anyone else or any store or populated area or touch any surfaces that someone else has recently. I wouldn't call someone who can easily venture out without having to Goto town or near others as being selfish.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 10:36 am

You might be right if it was your back yard, (and your definitely right Re prices!) But even then, your assuming that everything will go well on your hunt and that you won’t need assistance - which then in turn, if something goes south - might place multiple ppl at risk ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Peter988 » 02 Apr 2020, 10:49 am

And if it’s ok for one person, then another, then another etc. That’s how it gets out of hand. And where I live, meat prices have certainly not tripled. Are you saying steak is now $100 a kilo. Rubbish. Coles currently have Porterhouse at $12 per kilo. Scotch fillet at $17.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 10:58 am

Peter988 wrote:And if it’s ok for one person, then another, then another etc. That’s how it gets out of hand. 7.

Nailed it.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 02 Apr 2020, 11:22 am

A fat Fox casually strolls over to the edge of the creek for a drink and sees a pig having a good ol wallow ....pig says to the fox. “ you look pretty chilled , what’s goin down ? “ Fox replies ....” buggered if I can work out why, but I been taking lambs left right and centre and ain’t nobody been shooting at me for probably three weeks now” .....pig knocks the top of a stubbie . Lights up a cigarette , and replies “ same here dude , let’s enjoy it while it lasts”
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 11:28 am

Fuggen lol. Well, seems they have at least 90 days if they live in nsw...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bill » 02 Apr 2020, 11:41 am

I ll be heading out to do some stock work and fencing a couples hours from home that has to be done before winter hits. A deer or 2 will be on the cards. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 11:58 am

Your an absolute tosser bill, as someone whom apparently works in hospitals (with general surgeon relatives?), you should know better, but I kinda expected you to put yourself above everyone else.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Apr 2020, 1:36 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Your an absolute tosser bill, as someone whom apparently works in hospitals (with general surgeon relatives?), you should know better, but I kinda expected you to put yourself above everyone else.

This ^^^
+1
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 02 Apr 2020, 1:54 pm

Heading out on the weekend by myself bout 2 hours away to check a farmers property and change the locks for him. Hes not there atm and hasn't been for some time however trail cam footage has shown people being there that shouldn't have been. He's 77 and scared to go out doors.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 2:36 pm

TassieTiger wrote:You might be right if it was your back yard, (and your definitely right Re prices!) But even then, your assuming that everything will go well on your hunt and that you won’t need assistance - which then in turn, if something goes south - might place multiple ppl at risk ?

If that's the attitude people are having then I cant and won't be onboard, if that's the "risk" then I might as well stop fixing the fences, stop feeding the sheep and stop rescuing livestock from the mud from the cleaned out dams, might as well not maintain the fire breaks might as well not spread the super, might as well not clean the contour breaks our before the rain hits, might as well not drench the sheep, backline the sheep, take the rams out of the ewes, might as well not help the neighbours if a fire breaks out, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

All of which carry the same or greater risk than driving out the paddock with the 223 and knocking off a couple roos.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 2:39 pm

Peter988 wrote:And if it’s ok for one person, then another, then another etc. That’s how it gets out of hand. And where I live, meat prices have certainly not tripled. Are you saying steak is now $100 a kilo. Rubbish. Coles currently have Porterhouse at $12 per kilo. Scotch fillet at $17.

Oh whatever, sure mate, you've been to MY local rural and isolated shop and checked the prices haven't ya... They have "tripled" and I and everyone else capable will be doing as I've mentioned,
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 3:03 pm

If that's the attitude people are having then I cant and won't be onboard, if that's the "risk" then I might as well stop fixing the fences, stop feeding the sheep and stop rescuing livestock from the mud from the cleaned out dams, might as well not maintain the fire breaks might as well not spread the super, might as well not clean the contour breaks our before the rain hits, might as well not drench the sheep, backline the sheep, take the rams out of the ewes, might as well not help the neighbours if a fire breaks out, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

All of which carry the same or greater risk than driving out the paddock with the 223 and knocking off a couple roos.[/quote]

If it’s legit work - no one is arguing. If it’s hunting for the sake of it...then, if you do go, you are saying that your better and above everyone else who is doing the right thing.
As others have said - well Zi went hunting, so stuff it - well, I might go as well....me too....screw it. Let’s ALL go. Lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 3:11 pm

Not really mate, I drive out with the spotlight, see roo #1 shoot it, see roo #2 shoot it, gut and hang, drive home, hang, wake up tomorrow, skin and butcher, go knock off two sheep and dress them and hang to set...... Exactly how have I endangered myself or anyone else?

I will have seen 0 people, touched 0 surfaces that others have or need to, have had to speak to 0 people, and have absolutely 0 need to.

Infact whoever said Goto the shops is demanding I then go where hundreds of others have been, touch things hundreds of others have touched, breathe air trapped in a building 100s of others have exhaled, eat food someone else has touched and breathed on, and risk being stopped going in an out of town by police doing checks and having them breathe in my window after hundreds or thousands of others by proxy have breathed on them. So really whoever tells me I should Goto the shop instead of eating my own game is an asshole.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Jon79 » 02 Apr 2020, 3:34 pm

Ziege wrote:Not really mate, I drive out with the spotlight, see roo #1 shoot it, see roo #2 shoot it, gut and hang, drive home, hang, wake up tomorrow, skin and butcher, go knock off two sheep and dress them and hang to set...... Exactly how have I endangered myself or anyone else?

I will have seen 0 people, touched 0 surfaces that others have or need to, have had to speak to 0 people, and have absolutely 0 need to.

Infact whoever said Goto the shops is demanding I then go where hundreds of others have been, touch things hundreds of others have touched, breathe air trapped in a building 100s of others have exhaled, eat food someone else has touched and breathed on, and risk being stopped going in an out of town by police doing checks and having them breathe in my window after hundreds or thousands of others by proxy have breathed on them. So really whoever tells me I should Goto the shop instead of eating my own game is an asshole.

Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 02 Apr 2020, 3:46 pm

Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 02 Apr 2020, 3:48 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Your an absolute tosser bill, as someone whom apparently works in hospitals (with general surgeon relatives?), you should know better, but I kinda expected you to put yourself above everyone else.

So quick to judge, pregnant cows and calves need to be yarded, ear tags need to be put in. Fencing needs to be performed as he has had issues last winter with stock going walk about. Id suggest you politely pull your head in Tassie Tiger :thumbsdown: Ive been working at his farm for 3 years helping out including rebuilding a house.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 3:48 pm

It’s about minimising risk mate.
Say your gutting said roo, slip and cut your wrist, or have a car accident, or have a firearm fark up or run out of fuel from a rock puncturing your tank or what ever - you then need to involve directly, critical first responders...was it necessary for you to be out? If yes - then, your call.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Jon79 » 02 Apr 2020, 3:59 pm

TassieTiger wrote:It’s about minimising risk mate.
Say your gutting said roo, slip and cut your wrist, or have a car accident, or have a firearm fark up or run out of fuel from a rock puncturing your tank or what ever - you then need to involve directly, critical first responders...was it necessary for you to be out? If yes - then, your call.

say you go to the shops, slip on a banana peel, trip over some cardboard, get run over in the carpark, get poked in the eye with an umbrella, have a junky spew on you, get a flat battery, get corona or pinkeye from shopping basket...….
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 4:07 pm

If you were at the shopping centre for necessities then it’s an acceptable risk and if one of your moronic accidents happen, then so be it. This is not rocket scientist - apparently, it is for some though eh Jon?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey