Who's venturing out for a hunt?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Who's venturing out for a hunt?

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2020, 1:55 pm

Even if the government allows me to go for a hunt soon to my local deer/ dingo spot , if I were sick without knowing it I could be depositing virus on the gates and catches .....used by others shortly after myself could be enough for virus transfer .... land owners are 70 and 80 plus. So instead I think I’m better off here rambling away on the internet .... while the red stags roar in the cool misty mornings , and the dogs go hard with their noses pointed to the heavens above
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 06 Apr 2020, 2:15 pm

marksman: "your rubbing it in as well Jim"

Sorry to cause you such pain marksman. Drink more 'medicine'!

Blr243: last time I went out to one of the neighbouring farms - about 10 days ago - I took disinfectant and sprayed the gates to protect myself and the owners. [I too am of an age and have a predisposing medical condition that leaves me vulnerable to this Chinese Bug.]

I have just read of massive fines being imposed for actions I would not have thought contravened the new regulations, especially as we took cattle to the local saleyard yesterday afternoon for today's sale.

I guess I'll just stick to more baiting out the back of my place and hope a Charley or two pop up.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 Apr 2020, 3:18 pm

"Sorry to cause you such pain marksman. Drink more 'medicine'!"

l gave up drinking a few years ago so l could buy some more cheap chinese sh!t :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 06 Apr 2020, 3:24 pm

It's simply not worth the $1650 fine, not to mention the raft of crap they try and plant you with, if they discover firearms in the car.....headlines....etc.....Good way to give us a worse name, than we already have.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 07 Apr 2020, 7:55 am

Ok a serious question. Where do the rules stand in VIC regarding a primary producer setting up a small target to sight in his rifle on his own property? I am assuming outs allowed fir them to shoot vermin
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 07 Apr 2020, 8:19 am

In Qld it’s stay home and don’t hunt if it means leaving home .....I can’t see how hunting on your own land is a problem because u are staying home and not spreading or catching covid
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 07 Apr 2020, 10:23 am

Ziad: "Where do the rules stand in VIC regarding a primary producer setting up a small target to sight in his rifle on his own property?"

I was sitting out last night looking for foxes as I do many nights of the week on my own property - but nothing turned up. I shoot nearly every day of the week, mostly on my property and will continue to do so. The issue as I understand it is not about shooting per se, but engaging directly with others not immediately in one's family and thus either they or I would be 'out-of-bounds' and breaking the new regulations. I am not required to sit inside the house just watching the idiot-box or confine myself to the house garden. In fact the weather this morning was perfect to spray capeweed: very light wind from the SE that stopped any chance of spray drift off my property so I have just spent 90 minutes in the tractor spraying - never a 'social' event. In a little while I'll go up the back paddock and split firewood - on my property by myself. I also have fencing to repair - by myself. My wife will ride three horses today on our riding arena - by herself. Later today I'm going to test different action screw torque settings on my Mod 2 BRNO out the back to see if the rifle 'likes' a given tension. That I must not visit three properties just down the road to go shooting is a given, but I will continue to live my life on my property without any visitors around and that includes shooting.

Jim
Last edited by NTSOG on 07 Apr 2020, 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 07 Apr 2020, 10:24 am

Ziad wrote:Ok a serious question. Where do the rules stand in VIC regarding a primary producer setting up a small target to sight in his rifle on his own property? I am assuming outs

allowed fir them to shoot

vermin

If I was a primary producer I would ignore it. At the end of the day, your staying home.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Jon79 » 07 Apr 2020, 12:21 pm

Feel sorry for you guys in Vic, at least up here we can still go fill the freezer Or get dog food locally
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 07 Apr 2020, 12:53 pm

Going out shortly to get some foxes on the whistle, and then later might knock over a roo or two.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by solarpak » 07 Apr 2020, 3:27 pm

Folks,
Just heard from the farm manager of my usual deer property and he said no shooting till july ant the earliest. I am perfect;y fine with that call and luckily have plenty of venison still in the larder .

Nothing i can do but sit tight ...
C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey