Who's venturing out for a hunt?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Who's venturing out for a hunt?

Post by Jon79 » 02 Apr 2020, 4:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:If you were at the shopping centre for necessities then it’s an acceptable risk and if one of your moronic accidents happen, then so be it. This is not rocket scientist - apparently, it is for some though eh Jon?

I think your tin foil hat might be a tad tight
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 4:19 pm

Ummm....with hundreds of thousands already dead, with millions of deaths predicted, with long term respiratory damage to others that have been infected, with the real world likelihood of this virus not going away for some (longggg) time - with the who/govts message pretty clear but to all but morons and those that believe they are better than everyone else, and “it won’t happen to me” - where does a tin foil hat come in to it...which category do you fit into mate ? Moron or better than everyone else?
If and when you get this virus - please do not rely on any assistance, your arrogance and contempt should see you ostracised and left for...well dead.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 4:24 pm

Tassie, breathe through the pain

Meat = food, food = essential

Shops = contact with everyone else plus 20+km of highway that is statistically far more dangerous than potting around at 10kmh on soft dirt with 0 other vehicles/drivers,

Shooting and gutting is no more risky than cooking in the kitchen, maybe I should stop that too?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 4:34 pm

Risk minimisation...simple. Need to cook in the kitchen? Yes.
Need to be out using knives because of want? No.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by matt4350 » 02 Apr 2020, 4:40 pm

Seriously, this is doing my head in. Some people on this forum are deliberately breaking the law because they, in their wisdom and great knowledge of all things coronavirus, have decided they’re not a risk to anybody and can therefore do as they please. To those doing such, you have lost the right to call yourself a LAFO and you’re going to do all shooters a huge disservice when you get caught and the reports hit the media, following which they’ll be used by the anti-gun lobbies. They will rightly point out that these shooters are irresponsible and disregard the law because it just doesn’t suit them. Maybe I should just go drink a heap of booze and drive, after all I’m careful when I’m in the car and there’s not really much traffic on the road, I won’t be coming into contact with anybody and why the hell should I pay for a cab! Damned inconvenient, this ‘law’ stuff. With potentially looming hysteria, I feel it would be detrimental to show we are not a responsible, law-abiding community.
matt4350
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 4:43 pm

Oh ok, so we don't need knives to cut up meat?

We have never been big purchasers of meat products, it's not a part of our budget and there is no necessity for it to become a part of it, we have ample live stock and game nearby there is no need to have sub par food at exorbitant rates when a total of $3 worth of bullets and $5 in diesel can suffice.

Let's make a comparison, you're needing to make a shelter, necessary for a healthy long life, you have the choice between paying a mountain of cash for s**t pine or milling your own top grade timber of a different variety on site, at a cost of less than a fraction of a fraction of the price of the pine.

Who in their right mind would buy the pine?
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 4:49 pm

Geeeezus....

Shouldn’t use Knives to cut up meat? FMD. Seriously...how did some ppl get approved to hold a rifle...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 4:50 pm

matt4350 wrote:Seriously, this is doing my head in. Some people on this forum are deliberately breaking the law because they, in their wisdom and great knowledge of all things coronavirus, have decided they’re not a risk to anybody and can therefore do as they please. To those doing such, you have lost the right to call yourself a LAFO and you’re going to do all shooters a huge disservice when you get caught and the reports hit the media, following which they’ll be used by the anti-gun lobbies. They will rightly point out that these shooters are irresponsible and disregard the law because it just doesn’t suit them. Maybe I should just go drink a heap of booze and drive, after all I’m careful when I’m in the car and there’s not really much traffic on the road, I won’t be coming into contact with anybody and why the hell should I pay for a cab! Damned inconvenient, this ‘law’ stuff. With potentially looming hysteria, I feel it would be detrimental to show we are not a responsible, law-abiding community.

What law am I breaking exactly by going out on my own or my neighbours Property (with consent) at 8pm to shoot a "pest"? Please do elaborate, there is 1 person, so no gatherings, and social distancing is 100 complied with, I am struggling to see your point at all.

Also, why the f*** would anyone get in a cab? The laws are based on keeping people away from others and common areas, cabs are definitely common areas and sitting in an enclosed space with a stranger (cabbie) is asking for trouble.

What I will be doing is totally isolating myself from others, how is that bad? The shop isn't isolating that's for fkn sure
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Jon79 » 02 Apr 2020, 4:52 pm

no different to fishing

Fishing is still allowed in New South Wales despite many outdoor activities being restricted amid the coronavirus lockdown after an intervention by a state minister.

Recreational fishing was initially not considered by the NSW Government as a "reasonable excuse" or an "essential activity" and was slated to be banned alongside skate parks and bootcamps.

However, the NSW Police Minister David Elliott said he personally intervened and obtained legal advice from the Police General Counsel which considered it "passive exercise".
The minister said he contacted Transport for NSW and had them strike out a section in an unpublished press release which banned recreational boating.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said, however, just because fishing was permitted it didn't mean it was an invitation for people to go boating en masse.

"If you do need a break and if [fishing] is your exercise, than do it sensibly and do it quickly and return home," he said.
"You can fish but if you end up on a wharf with 50 other people then we get back to safe distancing and getting tickets."
The exemption in NSW was distinctive from advice given to Queenslanders yesterday, which included recreational boating among its ban of outdoor activities.

But even without the personal intervention of a NSW minister, fishing would have still been acceptable in several circumstances outlined by the NSW Government.

The Public Health (COVID-19 Restrictions on Gathering and Movement) Order 2020, which went into effect on March 31, would have allowed fishing if it was essential for work

Catching fish and then dropping it off to a market would have been legal under the exemption in the order which read "travelling for the purposes of work or education if the person cannot do it at home".

Reeling in a cod for dinner would also have been allowed under the provision which read "obtaining food or other goods and services".
These exemptions were later clarified by the Department of Primary Industries (DPI).

"Advice from NSW Police is that fishing is permitted, as long as people follow all other advice in relation to social distancing and gatherings of two or more people," the DPI said

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-02/ ... n/12114934
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 4:53 pm

Is it necessarily or a “want” - it really is that Fuggen simple.

I’m an avid motorcycle rider / roads are quiet and there is NOTHING that I’d love more than to go for a ride. I’d be wearing a helmet - so whom could I be an issue with? Based on your rules - I should go for it...?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 4:56 pm

Well yes, me, my kids, wench, parents and dogs have to eat, so it's definitely a necessity, as said before why the f*** would I walk into a supermarket full of potential disease ridden wares when I could pluck some meat out of the paddock and be done with it, with 0 risk of infection? Seriously
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Jon79 » 02 Apr 2020, 5:02 pm

Ziege wrote:Well yes, me, my kids, wench, parents and dogs have to eat, so it's definitely a necessity, as said before why the f*** would I walk into a supermarket full of potential disease ridden wares when I could pluck some meat out of the paddock and be done with it, with 0 risk of infection? Seriously

mate your wasting your time, pretty sure your arguing with a guy who heads out bush for a week and shoots paper and the odd tin can..... has no idea about living in the country and not getting all your meat from the butcher

Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 5:04 pm

I dunno, I think he is just in the hysterical stage of coming to grips with the new regime we are living under
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 5:08 pm

Geezus mate.
No one is arguing if your deeming it a steadfast Necessity...no one is even remotely saying you can’t use knives...apply some common sense here. That’s all.
as Jon has written above, if you deem it necessary to be fishing for an allowed reason - do it. If you want to go fishing because your bored and want to kill some time - rethink the potential risk.

As I said above, I’d love to be riding around the empty roads but, it’s not a need, it’s a risk that I don’t want to potentially open to my community. If I have an off, a mechanical, someone else hits me, an animal, what ever - I’d need then, to interact with others - the risk is not worth the want.
I have kids, I have close relations with elderly...

A local dr put it to me this wAy as well...ever got the flu? Did you want to get it ? Did you go out of your way to get it? No - but you still got it....this thing appears to be much more infectious and there are many unknowns in regards to virus life on surfaces, airborne time, etc. there are carriers out there with no symptoms - we do not know enough, stay home for the sake of your friends and family.

A friend in launny, his neighbour has just been confirmed as a cv19 positive. The police have told him to not go outside on that boundary - becUse they can’t guarantee airborne times Re the virus... this sounds insane, but is it? Who Fuggen knows.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Jon79 » 02 Apr 2020, 5:22 pm

I have a lung condition that puts me in the high risk category I dare say if I get it I'll either be cactus or very close to it, luckily so far its not in our town... I can tell you that going to the supermarket terrifies me a lot more than being on my own out in a paddock with my dog away from anyone (actually tempting to stay there away from everything)
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 02 Apr 2020, 5:40 pm

Those who don’t get it will never understand the big picture. It’s a waste of time trying to get the message through. Tassie and Matt 4350 could not have put it any better.
Last edited by Peter988 on 02 Apr 2020, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 02 Apr 2020, 5:47 pm

I had a mild case of pneumonia once but I was out at Cunnamulla and not wanting to waste the hunting opportunities so there I am about 1 am , saw a mob of pigs so I let the dogs off and I’m jogging thru the bush to follow them ....all of a sudden I felt an almighty BANG in my chest ....I’m not eggageratiing it felt like a bullet had exploded inside me. ......time to head back to the shearing shed for a bit of a lay down I think. Look after yourself jon79.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 6:06 pm

Jon79 wrote:I have a lung condition that puts me in the high risk category I dare say if I get it I'll either be cactus or very close to it, luckily so far its not in our town... I can tell you that going to the supermarket terrifies me a lot more than being on my own out in a paddock with my dog away from anyone (actually tempting to stay there away from everything)

Jon - early on, there were reported cases of CV19 candidates, passing the virus to their dogs. The legitimacy of this - who knows. Who knows who might pat your dog outside or whether another contagious dog could pass it on.
The reason for the stay at home order - I am confident - is to buy time for not only scientists to try and gain vaccine/cure but also, for ppl to understand wtf is going on.

Healthy ppl are going belly up, some elderly don’t have symptoms and get over it easily...Idris Elba is a positive carrier with No symptoms...to the young 13yr old who died alone because he was too infectious for even PPE (let that sink in for a minute?), to my friend being told to not go outside whilst his neighbour is infectious - too many unknowns...so, why even entertain any unnecessary risk...if not for you - for others.
Imagine getting the disease, passing it on to a loved one and see them fighting for every breath until they die....it might be a low risk, but I couldn’t live with myself.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Apr 2020, 6:17 pm

My take on it is simple if you have to leave your property to do it it's a risk. If you're on your own farm then there's no more risk than going there to tend your farm.

People spread this virus by moving around. If you're there on a daily basis for legitimate work there's no real reason not to hunt provided you do it safely.

if your using fixing fences etc. as an excuse to get around the lockdown, as a father of high risk kids. I hope you lose your gun license for disregarding not only the law but other people's safety
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jon79 » 02 Apr 2020, 6:24 pm

From SSAA
Attachments
BAAB8E8F-7D2B-4B37-BF4D-39F1E2B311A8.jpeg
BAAB8E8F-7D2B-4B37-BF4D-39F1E2B311A8.jpeg (665.41 KiB) Viewed 5449 times
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 02 Apr 2020, 6:36 pm

Farmerpete wrote:My take on it is simple if you have to leave your property to do it it's a risk. If you're on your own farm then there's no more risk than going there to tend your farm.

People spread this virus by moving around. If you're there on a daily basis for legitimate work there's no real reason not to hunt provided you do it safely.

if your using fixing fences etc. as an excuse to get around the lockdown, as a father of high risk kids. I hope you lose your gun license for disregarding not only the law but other people's safety

And again - that’s it in a nutshell.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Apr 2020, 6:52 pm

But but but SSAA are useless pieces of skiing and bones that are not fit to breath air...i hear some people say.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bill » 02 Apr 2020, 7:05 pm

no offense Pete but Im going to do cattle work and repair/patch a substantial boundary fences, my mate who is a city born farmer has an obligation to have stock ear tagged, but due to a family member of his having stage 4 cancer he hasnt had time to fix fence since he had 4 calves get out last year. With a fairly busy country road less than 200m he needs a s**t load of help and has obligations. Everyone has high risk people in there life despite Covid 19 only killing around 0.5% in australia.

Some of you guys need to apply some perspective to the actually risk, we will all get the Virus in the next 2 years and Ill let you in on a secret, we arent likely to have a very good vaccine before 3-5 years but that a whole new topic
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 7:31 pm

Peter988 wrote:Those who don’t get it will never understand the big picture. It’s a waste of time trying to get the message through. Tassie and Matt 4350 could not have put it any better.

It's a bit dumb as fk that people are spitting it cos I said I will go get some game on my own place..... AKA - staying home.......

All whilst listing SUPERMARKETS as a safer alternative, like wtf... Oh yeah righto.... More coolaid please
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 02 Apr 2020, 7:37 pm

The thing to remember is the restrictions on movement varies from state to state. WA has imposed a number of restrictions on travel. We are not permitted to travel outside our regions unless it is for one of the approved reasons. From midnight Sunday, no one will be able to come in or out of the state unless they fit into some pretty narrow criteria. We also have to practice social distancing and as far as I can tell, cant be in the company of more than one other person other than members of our household. At this stage, it isn’t against the rules to travel within your region here in WA. So Ziege going shooting within his region is does not not appear to be prohibited in WA. This may change. Our government’s strategy is to contain the virus by not importing it, and to prevent movement outside our regions.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 7:45 pm

Precisely we have only had spikes in infections mostly to do with imported cases, very few are community cases the grand majority so far are from overseas travel, moron idiots off of cruise ships and dense pricks from out of state that rushed in during the border closure.

If we didn't have these issues we would have any covid19 in WA, as all our original cases were from that poxy cruise ship off Japan, if I know anyone that ever goes on a cruise after this I am disowning them, it was bad enough before with the giardia and other gastro like norovirus, this is just the last proof that cruises are for idiots.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 02 Apr 2020, 8:04 pm

SSAA NSW ADVOCACY - HUNTING TO REMAIN AN ESSENTIAL ACTIVITY

SSAA NSW has been working with authorities to clarify the situation with regard to hunting in NSW.

We have been advised that the NSW Government will allow hunting to remain an essential activity, as long as social distancing measures are followed.

It is also important to note that if hunting is your regular activity, it is advised to limit travel as much as possible, to reduce the spread of COVID-19 across the State.

SSAA NSW is proud to advocate for all our members and law-abiding firearm owners in this space. We also thank those who have worked on this issue, including our Branches, Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party and many others.

Thank you to the NSW Government for allowing this important activity to continue.

We will provide more details as they come to hand, including any information on travel restrictions.

Please follow Governments rules in relation to social distancing and gatherings. The situation is fluid so please monitor any Government update.

Thank you,

Lance Miller
President – SSAA NSW

Jai Rowell
CEO – SSAA NSW
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Apr 2020, 8:14 pm

Quote/ It's a bit dumb as fk that people are spitting it cos I said I will go get some game on my own place..... AKA - staying home.......

All whilst listing SUPERMARKETS as a safer alternative, like wtf... Oh yeah righto.... More coolaid please[/quote]

It’s a bit dumb that your still not getting it. No one, was arguing Re you getting game if it was essential - how can you not get that?

Trying to get your post count up bill? Was already posted but good try...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 02 Apr 2020, 8:19 pm

Bill wrote:no offense Pete but Im going to do cattle work and repair/patch a substantial boundary fences, my mate who is a city born farmer has an obligation to have stock ear tagged, but due to a family member of his having stage 4 cancer he hasnt had time to fix fence since he had 4 calves get out last year. With a fairly busy country road less than 200m he needs a s**t load of help and has obligations. Everyone has high risk people in there life despite Covid 19 only killing around 0.5% in australia.

Some of you guys need to apply some perspective to the actually risk, we will all get the Virus in the next 2 years and Ill let you in on a secret, we arent likely to have a very good vaccine before 3-5 years but that a whole new topic

Was the trip to help planned before or after lockdown?
If someone on my property had stage 4 cancer the last thing I'd want is "help" at this time
4 calves in a whole year got out - my god it's a calamity I get more than that with good fences.

From the next paragraph I take you for one of the people who go around saying "only a couple a percent die I might as well get it now and move on with my life"
Tell me if I gave you 100 smarties and told you one would kill you how many would you eat?
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 02 Apr 2020, 8:25 pm

Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey