Cammo Options

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Cammo Options

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2020, 2:11 pm

So, there is plenty of cammo gear out there. Some cheap some bloody dear for what it is.
I bought a light weight leafy/cammo poncho a few months ago with the idea that I can wear whatever I like underneath. Mainly ambushing. Would help cover my movements. A synthetic of some type but I found out recently even after washing in mild soap it glows light he proverbial under UV light. (Never seen anything while wearing it).

To make a poncho i figure i need about 1.5 x 1.5 m to make one. So, just wondering what others are using out there.

Here are a couple economical possibilities I have spotted today. Not sure if cammo is that critical but must help. Happy to hear opinions and ideas.

Scrimmed Hessian Fabric
https://www.spotlightstores.com/sewing- ... BP80442088

Scrim Net Pack - 1m x 1m | eBay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scrim-Net-P ... 3015959841

Oops, forgot to mention. Been wondering if you could use shade cloth for a hide. Problem with fabric is it blows in the wind like a sale.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Cammo Options

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Apr 2020, 2:28 pm

Don't use soap, most of them contain chemicals that show UV light. I am still a big fan of blaze orange, rinse in clean water when dirty is all I used to do, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2020, 2:53 pm

Yeh, this was a type of wool wash. But the glow was only coming from 1 colour only in the pattern, a fairly whitish colour. I would look like a spotted leopard. Lol

In any case to confirm I have just hand washed it with bi-carb in a clean bucket i have put aside for that sole use.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 17 Apr 2020, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 17 Apr 2020, 3:42 pm

Just about cold enough to start wearing the old drizabone. I just re water proved mine last year. It is so tatty in some spots ir resembles a gillie suit. I have never looked at from a UV point of vies but from a person to person type of cammo it would be pretty good.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Faedy » 17 Apr 2020, 4:10 pm

Washing powder and liquid have "Optical Brighteners" in them to make the whites whiter and colours more vibrant..
If you get carpet shampoo it won't have them in it....
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Apr 2020, 4:14 pm

sungazer wrote:Just about cold enough to start wearing the old drizabone. I just re water proved mine last year. It is so tatty in some spots ir resembles a gillie suit. I have never looked at from a UV point of vies but from a person to person type of cammo it would be pretty good.

They are good. I have one, china copy. But bit noisy. The other thing is i really like the light weight poncho idea. If i go away in the van i can get away with only taking that along with a rifle and kit. If the opportunity arises Im pretty much set without taking a heap of additional gear.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2020, 5:19 pm

l have had really good luck with realtree camo clothing and rate it very highly l also like ridgeline gear, l have been wearing it for years with very good results
my camo is never ever put in a washing machine ever, even if you are not using a washing brand that states whiter then white or brighter than bright the washing machine will have residue left in the machine that will transfer and ruin your gear, a soak in a bucket bucket of hot water then back into the bucket with a lid on it after after a really good air dry and some eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil then the lid is put on and the gear is not worn in or around a car especially the exhaust, never around campfires ect...
many hunters have scoffed at how l prep or look after my gear till they see the results and have the 100 questions to ask
there are other important things to think about but if you get good habits from the start it helps
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Apr 2020, 4:24 am

So this is a pic of the matetial under a bug zapper UV light.
Notice some is green or brown and big patch of brighr blue. This is after a good wash in bicarb.

Cammo,,,UV .jpeg
Cammo,,,UV .jpeg (260.68 KiB) Viewed 6174 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 18 Apr 2020, 5:40 am

Do you have the mullet to pull this off
https://images.app.goo.gl/AgqGSWo4CxzYyKP28
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 18 Apr 2020, 7:54 am

If you must have camo, just get some ex military stuff. Although,I am a big fan of the predator camo that blackfoot clothing company uses. Camo works really well when you're sitting still....so does just sitting still lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 18 Apr 2020, 10:33 am

Lol...yep sitting still is prob the best camo you'll ever get...cant argue with that... :thumbsup:

Im led to believe its the phosphates in washing powder that have the effect your talking about OB.

I understand those "enviro friendly" laundry detergents/powders dont contain those phosphates.

Still, no point as said above, putting in wash machine if you normally use nappysan or the like, as will still contaminate clothing.

I dont hunt to warrant the extremes marksman goes to...however a few years ago i was shooting on a dairy farm that had deer coming & going i had a little moment of obsession with the hunting clothes & stored them in sealed bag...

In that sealed bag i had another bag the likes of what is used for soil/rock samples in mining industry--they hold dirt etc but let air flow...in that bag i had a tuft of lucerne, bit of dirt & part of dry cow pat, & leaves of trees planted there.

Before storing clothes theyd get handwashed in water a few times & hung to dry for long periods in bright uv filled sunlight...

I stopped doing it becsuse i mostly just shoot foxes & bunnys from a car...

Maybe tan up a few foxes & rabbits & one sambar & stitch yourself up a good hunting jacket...those animals always seem well camo'd in scrub... :huh:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 18 Apr 2020, 12:43 pm

"maybe tan up a few foxes & rabbits & one sambar & stitch yourself up a good hunting jacket...those animals always seem well camo'd in scrub."

maybe not as silly as it sounds Stix

l know when l started getting into trying to disappear in the bush l looked at bow hunters and what they were doing because they have to get so close for the shot
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Apr 2020, 12:50 pm

I think the best way to describe how our carelessly washed camo gear glows like a beacon to game is to remember how our cloths use to glow real bright when we were young at discos in night clubs under uv light. Night club owners know that to get more blokes into their clubs they must have plenty of uv light women music and booze ....so auscam or realtree that looks ok to us “glows” from a deers perspective....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Apr 2020, 1:57 pm

Yeh, not so keen to wear skins but its not a stupid idea. Actually makes good sense.

In this case all the dyed areas of the material seems ok. Just the un-dyed bits glow. So nothing to do with the soap . As i said washed in mild soap that is normally ok then bicarb. Its the material obviously.

MM, good idea, ill have a look at a bow hunting forum for ideas.

Just looking for something very light weight to use as a poncho or basic hide.

There is stuff out there but often noisy too. A light netting seems the best option so far.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Apr 2020, 4:19 pm

When I was bow hunting I must have been doing something wrong with the bi carb because my clothes used to stink terrible like I had not washed them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2020, 7:40 pm

Hmmm....i don't wear camo bow hunting anymore either
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Apr 2020, 4:24 pm

100_5627.JPG
100_5627.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 6055 times
100_5626.JPG
100_5626.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 6055 times
I use mainly Ridgeline,,,, but as well as, the typical Auscam (HUSSI) brand which I purchased from a Camping store.
After recently testing with a bug zapper light I am pleased to report that none of them glow/light up.

I also have a synthetic microfleece jacket (made in China) in a camo pattern that I wear over the top of the other stuff that doesn't glow either.

I can't say I've had any issues at all with them.

What I use is this washing powder,,,,,, and i'm very happy with it.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2020, 4:31 pm

Very confident it isnt a soap issue. Nothing else glows. Thanks DJ. Just the same Ill ask the boss if she can buy some of that. :thumbsup:

I came up with a "solution". Got some light brown lacey curtain material. Looks pretty. Lol Wind can pass throught it easy if i use it like a hide, so less flapping. And looks like will make a good "cammo" poncho.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Apr 2020, 7:31 pm

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2020, 7:40 pm

Stix wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maH_5B5EvWw

Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Apr 2020, 8:01 pm

I've thought about using a collapsible umbrella and cover it with a bit of cammo netting, put a couple of flaps in as spy holes and planting it in front as a blind.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Apr 2020, 8:10 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I've thought about using a collapsible umbrella and cover it with a bit of cammo netting, put a couple of flaps in as spy holes and planting it in front as a blind.

Done that. Need to get it out again
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2020, 8:12 pm

RoginaJack wrote:I've thought about using a collapsible umbrella and cover it with a bit of cammo netting, put a couple of flaps in as spy holes and planting it in front as a blind.

Yeh, saw that idea some where. Could work. Also thought a small pop up beach shelter/shade. But they are all in very bright colours.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/weissh ... ng-561991/

I bought enough curtain lace to make poncho i can wear for an ambush but that still leaves me with 2.4 x 1.1 meters to rig with cord between trees as a small hide.

Curtain.jpeg
Curtain.jpeg (275.83 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 21 Apr 2020, 9:32 pm

You can dye/stain them easy enough though? It only has to be rough if you're putting better in them?

Or just grab one of these... https://m.catch.com.au/product/pop-up-t ... ge-780046/
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Apr 2020, 2:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Mary Poppins.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Apr 2020, 12:41 pm

:D :D :D Yep, and saves my tired old legs too...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey