Thermal/ NV IDENTFICATION. ACCIDENTS

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Thermal/ NV IDENTFICATION. ACCIDENTS

Post by Blr243 » 25 Apr 2020, 6:15 pm

I have not heard of it being a problem with the gsci units. I have heard some pulsar units had a problem..I never had a problem with mine. Sometimes when I turn on my scope and connect it via wifi to my iPad a message comes up DOWNLOAD LATEST UPDATES I have also heard bug fixes can be downloaded ..... I’m not aware of if the poi problem can be resolved by downloading an update ......if there is a problem with poi in my scope I’m not aware of it because I’m usually shooting pigs close range. I do miss 10 per cent of my long range foxes ...... if you are going to be shooting cats foxes and dogs at 200 m it’s well worth investigating to be sure the poi problem is solved before u fork out the bucks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 25 Apr 2020, 6:40 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have not heard of it being a problem with the gsci units. I have heard some pulsar units had a problem..I never had a problem with mine. Sometimes when I turn on my scope and connect it via wifi to my iPad a message comes up DOWNLOAD LATEST UPDATES I have also heard bug fixes can be downloaded ..... I’m not aware of if the poi problem can be resolved by downloading an update ......if there is a problem with poi in my scope I’m not aware of it because I’m usually shooting pigs close range. I do miss 10 per cent of my long range foxes ...... if you are going to be shooting cats foxes and dogs at 200 m it’s well worth investigating to be sure the poi problem is solved before u fork out the bucks

Havent had any issue with poi shift with my GSCI so far...(touch wood)....I know of blokes with the XP50 trail that have the issue...and also a current model thermion that was having a massive poi shift as well...and that was put up on my group on FB.....It was promptly swapped over and the new one is going well to date....
I believe they are bringing out the Trail 2 series scopes with a complete new housing....Be interested to hear how that goes....
Most of the foxes i shoot are around the 200m or more....
My XQ50s would shift sometimes 3 inches to the right at 100m.....at 200m thats shooting 6 inches out....more at longer distances....so a miss every time....
It got really frustrating towards the end and after my third scope...
Would have it shooting a group of 5 shots in a 10 cent peice one day....then shoot 3 inches to the right a few days later....sometimes even a few hours.....Rezero again and the same thing would happen again and again and again.....
The amount of time i spent at my range trying this and that to see what was going on...the amount of bullets i shot and waisted....The amount of foxes i missed and time waisted, especially when i went on long trips....
I gave up in the end and sent both my XQ50s back and got refunds and bought the GSCI.....
I really liked the Pulsar scopes, and if it wasnt for the poi issues i would still have mine....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Apr 2020, 6:59 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:Brinny Is this POI problem in all thermals or just the Q50 and is it still a problem and can it be fixed? I've started saving for one and wonder which one to get when and if I get enough it'd be good for what I do , I've used one a couple of times that belongs to the farmer but it's not like having your own and not sure he set it up right I haven't shot anything with one as yet.

FMD,,,,,,,, I just typed everything out for you, and hit submit, and it all vaporised.

In a nutshell,,,,,,,, I have the PULSAR FXQ 50,,,,,, and because it is a clip on (front bell housing of your normal scope) it is a thermal unit that is used in conjunction with your normal scope,, and can be used in daytime as well as night time..
ie: You are looking through and using your own scope and cross hairs primarily,, then through the thermal whereas you gain the night vision.
So,,,,,,,,, if your normal scope is zeroed to start with,,, you will not have any POI issues.

It has the advantage of being able to swap quickly and easily from one rifle/scope to another, and you never have to worry about changing POI or re zeroing.
Plus ,,, it has a separate quick change eye piece so you can unclip it from your scope,, and use it as a handheld monocular thermal unit.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Apr 2020, 7:09 pm

Thanks gents but i'm a little shaky now seems like I could end up paying a lot of money ''Hard saved '' I must say and only be frustrated like brinny , A miss on wild dogs only means they are too cagey to shoot unless they actually stuff up but that's not what I want I try for a kill every time using patience and so far I've done well with only the rare miss but thanks for the info
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Apr 2020, 7:10 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I wonder if there is still room for these thermals to improve - I mean clearly, they are bloody good - are they at their limit? .

I would answer that with a big fat NO

It all comes down to what the everyday normal Mr Citizen is able to get his hands on.

Apparently the USA military has stuff that they can look at a building (brick or concrete) and see enough detail through the walls as to ascertain how many and what area any human beings are that are inside of said building.

FMD :wtf: :wtf: if they have that technology for their soldiers,,,,,, you could bet yer bottom $$$ that they already have it in their satellites, and have the ability to see you next time your canoodling with the missus,, or the woman next door. :shock:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 25 Apr 2020, 7:28 pm

Yeah DJ that's probably all I need
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Apr 2020, 7:50 pm

For a while now I have had an idea .......I wish there was satellites constantly useing thermal cameras to identify ferals and if you paid 1000 bucks a year subscription u can log in with your phone and they could send you thermal images and coordinates of a mob of pigs or a big solo boar ( anything within two kilometres ) ....I don’t need this in the open farmland I normally hunt because I can already see 1500 m in any direction with my thermal binos ...... but the scrub paddocks next to it has grass at least three feet tall ....and it’s absolutely chokkas full of pigs. This is where I need thermal from above ....... so for now I need to save up to have a thermal camera fitted to my drone ...... because of the drought so far I have only seen bare paddocks over the entire farm ..... but now that crops are being planted it will be interesting to see if the thickness of the crops conceals my pigs and makes life hard for me ......since it’s not melon hole country and the modern varieties of wheat tend to be shorter than years ago I’ll probably be able to see most pigs when crops have reached full head .....and if they graze the fresh green of newly planted wheat I’ll see them piece of cake ......I have heard that because a sewn chick pea is so big compared to a sewn grain of wheat , it’s attractive for pigs to walk along the rows and root them up ..... time will tell I suppose
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Apr 2020, 8:08 pm

Yer not wrong by any measure there BLR,,,,,,,,, the wheat of yesteryear would have almost :allegedly: hidden a herd of feral camels.
:lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brinny » 25 Apr 2020, 8:22 pm

Blr243 wrote:For a while now I have had an idea .......I wish there was satellites constantly useing thermal cameras to identify ferals and if you paid 1000 bucks a year subscription u can log in with your phone and they could send you thermal images and coordinates of a mob of pigs or a big solo boar ( anything within two kilometres ) ....I don’t need this in the open farmland I normally hunt because I can already see 1500 m in any direction with my thermal binos ...... but the scrub paddocks next to it has grass at least three feet tall ....and it’s absolutely chokkas full of pigs. This is where I need thermal from above ....... so for now I need to save up to have a thermal camera fitted to my drone ...... because of the drought so far I have only seen bare paddocks over the entire farm ..... but now that crops are being planted it will be interesting to see if the thickness of the crops conceals my pigs and makes life hard for me ......since it’s not melon hole country and the modern varieties of wheat tend to be shorter than years ago I’ll probably be able to see most pigs when crops have reached full head .....and if they graze the fresh green of newly planted wheat I’ll see them piece of cake ......I have heard that because a sewn chick pea is so big compared to a sewn grain of wheat , it’s attractive for pigs to walk along the rows and root them up ..... time will tell I suppose

You need to setup a drone with a thermal monocular on it Blr243....soon find the hogs in the long crap then....
Blokes over in the UK are using that technology all the time with great success.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Apr 2020, 8:28 pm

I not sure if my drone can lift my binos I know my binos can send a wifi signal to my iPad Done it plenty times quick and simple but not sure of the range it can send a signal Also 2500 dollar drone with 7500 dollar binos is not good to lose in the bush at night
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Apr 2020, 8:34 pm

Blr243 wrote:I not sure if my drone can lift my binos I know my binos can send a wifi signal to my iPad Done it plenty times quick and simple but not sure of the range it can send a signal Also 2500 dollar drone with 7500 dollar binos is not good to lose in the bush at night

Ha Ha Ha,,,,,,,,,,, that's where yer thermal scope comes into it,,,,,,, to find the smoking crash site.
:lol: :lol:

Yer a victim of technology BLR.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Apr 2020, 9:20 pm

Dead right. Too much technology. Years ago at goodooga I remember I had my dog on a short lead as we were walking towards a mob of pigs one arv Wearing shoes and shorts nothing else and I had a spear in my right hand ... dog was sniffing and straining on the leash. We were about to “get on”...but for a brief moment before I unclicked the lead I felt like we had transcended back in time several hundred years ago...it was a very earthy primitive experience that I will never forget
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 25 Apr 2020, 9:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:I not sure if my drone can lift my binos I know my binos can send a wifi signal to my iPad Done it plenty times quick and simple but not sure of the range it can send a signal Also 2500 dollar drone with 7500 dollar binos is not good to lose in the bush at night

Not sure that the blokes using them are sending uo their accolade bonos mate....in fact not sure what they use at all....often see the talking about their drones etc....
Ill put a post up on their page and find out what they are using and how they are going about it....
My XQ50 Helion monocular is setup on the spotlight swivel of my Polaris and wifis down to a Samsung android tablet thats setup behind the steering wheel....Works well....

brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Apr 2020, 10:09 pm

Almost sounds like some of you guys are wishing away the joy of hunting...

While id love to have a thermal for foxes, i really enjoy the search & the challenge of getting them with a rifle & light, by way of firstly being that search, then the fact that all time stops for me for as soon as i see those reflector eyes for how ever long it takes to either get it, or have it get away...

I can only imagine it would be the same for the guys that track & hunt deer on foot...

When im spotlighting...say ive looked at the clock at 10pm, & im on the chase & by the time its all over i swear it must be 12.30, & its only 10.30 i get such a buzz & hope i get another 4 of them for the night...other times im so engrossed & guess it must be getting on midnight & its bloody 2.30am...!!
I love that...!!...& as such i just cant imagine that having satellite &/or drone technology to bluetooth coordinates of said foxes to my transporter & go & zap them with my flux drive laser blaster would be anything more than a buzz-kill...

In only 200 years time--maybe even less, people will look back & think how lucky we were to not only have the game we have available with the technology we have, but at the same time not have too much technology that busting ferals just equates to being a low paid mundane job with a tracker implanted under your skin ...

:)

Little addition...
That set-up looks like a winner Brinny...if you ever need to know if it will work as effectively in SA, you let me know & ill send you the address to where you can have it delivered for thorough testing... :D

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ferrisweil » 25 Apr 2020, 11:56 pm

I get what you’re saying stix, I do, as I’ve been the traditional “spotlighter” by night and stalker by day, but I think even with thermal, you still get that “thrill of the chase”. Stalking pigs/dogs/deer up close and personal to very close range, in the pitch black, is just as big a buzz as any other form. I think it’s just a natural progression.
Don’t get me wrong, i love the “traditional hunt”, but when it comes vermin elimination, numbers are what makes the farmers the happiest, not my personal satisfaction
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Apr 2020, 12:47 am

Thanks for that brinny I look fwd to any info u are able to procure. .....and regarding the specs of a thermal drone camera I’m contemplating, if I fly at roughly 150 m for searching down into the cane grass I probably don’t need the 640 spec like I use on my binos and rifle , so that probablys means I won’t have to spend so much. Covid please disappear so strong economy can prevail and I can quickly make better money for a thermal camera
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 26 Apr 2020, 1:16 am

What drone are you currently using BLR? Mates and I using a mavic pro 2. From what I’ve read, if you’re using a Phantom 4, it’s an “easy” swap via a gimble to attach a thermal camera but with the Mavic you have buy a whole new drone but they make them now with a camera that can swap between day/thermal camera via a flick of a button.
I remember reading somewhere ages ago that the thermal cameras for the phantom 4 cost around 4K.

Watch this mate. This is what we plan on “attempting“ to do.

https://youtu.be/fL4HLsbeXzs
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Apr 2020, 7:12 am

Thanks for the link Ferris. I have a dji mavic 2 zoom When I did my pre purchase research they said for hunting drones I need a good camera and good battery run time I paid 2500 because I wanted spare blades , two spare batteries and the ability to charge batts 12 adaptor on my quad there’s a company called Suas they can put a thermal camera on my particular drone but it at least 4/5 grand mayb more now that our dollar is so low. I’ll do the research again when I’m closer to making it happen.... it’s not going to happen this year. I think the best I can hope for this year is to soon have restrictions lifted, survive the economy, spend 6 weeks hunting , and not get sick
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by brinny » 26 Apr 2020, 7:26 am

Stix wrote:Almost sounds like some of you guys are wishing away the joy of hunting...

While id love to have a thermal for foxes, i really enjoy the search & the challenge of getting them with a rifle & light, by way of firstly being that search, then the fact that all time stops for me for as soon as i see those reflector eyes for how ever long it takes to either get it, or have it get away...

I can only imagine it would be the same for the guys that track & hunt deer on foot...

When im spotlighting...say ive looked at the clock at 10pm, & im on the chase & by the time its all over i swear it must be 12.30, & its only 10.30 i get such a buzz & hope i get another 4 of them for the night...other times im so engrossed & guess it must be getting on midnight & its bloody 2.30am...!!
I love that...!!...& as such i just cant imagine that having satellite &/or drone technology to bluetooth coordinates of said foxes to my transporter & go & zap them with my flux drive laser blaster would be anything more than a buzz-kill...

In only 200 years time--maybe even less, people will look back & think how lucky we were to not only have the game we have available with the technology we have, but at the same time not have too much technology that busting ferals just equates to being a low paid mundane job with a tracker implanted under your skin ...

Little addition...
That set-up looks like a winner Brinny...if you ever need to know if it will work as effectively in SA, you let me know & ill send you the address to where you can have it delivered for thorough testing... :D

Ferrisweil has nailed it Stix....
Vermin control for farmers is about numbers on the ground...and we use the best technology we can to get the job done.....
Some might say its not hunting....others say it is....Doesnt make any difference to the farmer, as long as he sees the results he wants.....
Since having thermal i have shot that many old foxes that have been dodging the spotlight for years.....
They are the dangerous one for the farmers that need taking out....

As far as testing out the Polaris goes....Well and truly tried and tested....and works well....
Thanks for the offer anyway.... :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 30 Apr 2020, 10:03 pm

Stix wrote:Almost sounds like some of you guys are wishing away the joy of hunting...

Little addition...

Here you go. Hows the thermal ID on these ones?

https://youtu.be/Qvafxv-3Xkg
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ferrisweil » 30 Apr 2020, 11:21 pm

F$&k that first fox wore the second shot!!
I know it was a miss, but that second shot on the second fox was cool to watch. Musta blown some whiskers off hahaha
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 01 May 2020, 12:06 am

Love the slow mo cause i drag out one second to about 24 seconds. If only i had four barrels lol!
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey