Hunting restrictions lifted. Who's heading out.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting restrictions lifted. Who's heading out.

Post by Oldbloke » 15 May 2020, 6:29 pm

I've been able to go out under the past destruction rules in Vic. No foxes but a few rabbits.
Thinking of heading out Monday. A bit of a drive for a day trip but bugger it.

Who else is getting out?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Hunting restrictions lifted. Who's heading out.

Post by TassieTiger » 15 May 2020, 8:56 pm

2 tagged foresters this evening / quartered, skin gone and dressed for freezer = 38 kgs of meat, bones in legs. Both were 6ft. 260 / 140gn sst at approx 150m. Could have nailed 20 but these are tags only and taste much better than any other macropods.

Saw a few Does, no decent shot though, so left well enough alone until next time.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 15 May 2020, 10:13 pm

I’m waiting for payment , and for rules that allow me to hunt again
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 16 May 2020, 10:42 am

:( Not going out just yet. Would love to. Maybe around September due to other commitments.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 May 2020, 10:44 am

I'd like to camp over night but not in Vic yet. So day trips only.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 16 May 2020, 11:38 am

I've been sitting out most nights, either on my property or down the road. I've seen more foxes than I've shot, but have still got a couple. It's been damned cold so I'm good for about 90 minutes or so before I quit - last night we went below zero. Hunting around low marshy ground with lots of reeds has been productive, but the mist tends to come in and I can't see through the IR night scope what I can see through the thermal viewer so have to pack up.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 16 May 2020, 12:00 pm

Didn't really stop
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2020, 12:00 pm

Sometimes I struggle to get out of a warm swag in winter because it feels so beautiful even tho I know there are pigs in the paddocks waiting for me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Aliqua » 16 May 2020, 12:58 pm

Still waiting for a mentor... :violin:
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2020, 1:32 pm

Aliqua. I don’t get it. Please explain. ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 May 2020, 1:37 pm

Aliqua wrote:Still waiting for a mentor... :violin:

Just scroll/search through both of the hunting related sections. There is plenty of info there to help get you started.

Some basics.

Find where you can hunt. e.g SF
Find the areas where the game hangs out
Move into the wind
Look a lot walk little
Research the target species
Wear drab or cammo clothes
Investigate various methods/strategies
Check out the library
Get the Victorian, More to Explore app
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 16 May 2020, 2:15 pm

Thanks is oldbloke. Some good info there. I will definitely be doing more research. Yes I did download that app. Still so green in this field so going out with someone would be as a matter of responsibility and of safety.

First stop is the range to get proficient at the craft. My professional experience is with handguns. Rifles are a whole different ball game. I'm not going to run before I can walk.
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2020, 3:00 pm

Nothing wrong with being green or flying solo. Then the whole world of opportunities is in front of you. I think the fun , and many will agree , is in the chase/ stalk. An unsuccessful stalk for whatever reason firstly teaches u how to be better next time , and secondly gives you the thrill of an other opportunity to stalk the same mob tomorrow ...... that equals twice as much fun. You can’t stalk them again the next day if they are already shot I think the bush is better solo. I can then give it 100 per cent focus. Another hunter is an annoying distraction and responsibility.....mates are only good back at camp for someone to talk to , cook my breakfast , lift the fridge out the back of the Ute and open gates
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2020, 3:04 pm

I have , after a lot of experience hunted remote cape York solo (in some remote parts of the block the pigs look at u wondering what u are because they not seen people before) I would never hunt thar in New Zealand by myself because I don’t want to freeze to death all alone
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 16 May 2020, 4:55 pm

l was out yesterday and saw 6 stags at different locations but they were to good for the freezer, l was looking for spikers and l dont want to shoot pregnant does
great to be out though, had a ball but pretty shattered now :drinks:

good idea to hit the range Aliqua but dont take it to serious, the range has RO's and rules, you will get your own when you get private property :thumbsup:
and learn to use your firearm safety, do not listen to anyone who will tell you not to use them
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 May 2020, 5:29 pm

Yes Friday was nice weather. Monday looks good too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aliqua » 16 May 2020, 5:29 pm

I really appreciate the insight guys - you make really good points. I am a responsible person (i spent 10 years of my life with handguns), but I do like the idea of going out solo, and doing things your own way - only being responsible FOR yourself, and obviously if you observe others in the SF's... but that goes without saying. I can see how if "you want to go left, and they want to go right" that can cause issues especially if there is nothing to the right... haha

and marksman, you're right - serious is important, but taking it tooooo serious just becomes annoying and unenjoyable. This sport has to be enjoyable... I don't respond well to people who put themselves up on a pedestal (and are just utter w*nkjobs) so lets see... I'm sure I will be making a comment like so many have before me on here about my first public range experience (with some comparisons as to what it was like in the job), and also my first hunt!

Enjoy the weekend and the good weather guys while it lasts, I think its going to be raining from Wednesday next week for a whole week (any barometer will tell you -- hehe).
Aliqua
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2020, 5:48 pm

If your taking your firearm for a walk - once you get into where you think you might hear, see something - there’s no point having someone with you - you don’t want/need/shouldn’t talk and you need to move at YOUR pace. Having someone there Is mainly frustrating - I don’t know how many times I ve been with someone and I’ve heard something, and they’ve said at normal volume - probably gone now...well, yeah...now it has.
Or you’ve got something across the paddock and you signal for quiet and bunker down and they snap a tree over...
If I could offer one piece - move / walk around less, listen and observe more and be aware of the wind ...I used to think coveting more ground would be more productive but that’s not necessarily true.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey