Micro hunting dog

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Micro hunting dog

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 May 2020, 10:20 am

A Border Terrier may also be a good option. in any event I would look at getting something bred to have the hunting attributes you are after. Which would I suspect be a high prey drive, courageousness, tenacity, and intelligence. The terrier breeds from a reputable, well respected breeder would be my recommendation. I have preferred pure breeds for many years because you can look for the breed with your desired attributes. I am amazed what people will pay for a mutt. I saw a recent article where a young couple 50% paid more for a “cavoodle” (a mutt), than you would have paid for a very well bred purebreed poodle or cavalier king charles spaniel.

The trouble with crossbreeds is it is a real lottery as to what attributes you might end up with. This is not to say crossbreeds dont make an excellent pet. It is just harder to predict what you actually end up with.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stoney » 24 May 2020, 6:09 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:A Border Terrier may also be a good option. in any event I would look at getting something bred to have the hunting attributes you are after. Which would I suspect be a high prey drive, courageousness, tenacity, and intelligence. The terrier breeds from a reputable, well respected breeder would be my recommendation. I have preferred pure breeds for many years because you can look for the breed with your desired attributes. I am amazed what people will pay for a mutt. I saw a recent article where a young couple 50% paid more for a “cavoodle” (a mutt), than you would have paid for a very well bred purebreed poodle or cavalier king charles spaniel.

The trouble with crossbreeds is it is a real lottery as to what attributes you might end up with. This is not to say crossbreeds dont make an excellent pet. It is just harder to predict what you actually end up with.

Good advice there Bruiser64. A " Mutt" can be an awesome dog or a s**t dog. Although I have heard stories of inbreeding with some purebred breeds in Australia that can cause a lot of problems.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 24 May 2020, 6:22 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:A Border Terrier may also be a good option. in any event I would look at getting something bred to have the hunting attributes you are after. Which would I suspect be a high prey drive, courageousness, tenacity, and intelligence. The terrier breeds from a reputable, well respected breeder would be my recommendation. I have preferred pure breeds for many years because you can look for the breed with your desired attributes. I am amazed what people will pay for a mutt. I saw a recent article where a young couple 50% paid more for a “cavoodle” (a mutt), than you would have paid for a very well bred purebreed poodle or cavalier king charles spaniel.

Good advice there Bruiser64. A " Mutt" can be an awesome dog or a s**t dog. Although I have heard stories of inbreeding with some purebred breeds in Australia that can cause a lot of problems.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 25 May 2020, 5:46 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I have a pug generally usless in all regards couldn't follow a scent trail to save his life alerts all game with his snoring and farts profusely whilst in the passengers seat.

:lol:
:lol:
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 May 2020, 10:19 pm

[/quote]Good advice there Bruiser64. A " Mutt" can be an awesome dog or a s**t dog. Although I have heard stories of inbreeding with some purebred breeds in Australia that can cause a lot of problems.[/quote]

That is very true. which is why you have to be very particular about who you buy a dog from. Good breeders will be careful about avoiding inbreeding. They will also get genetic testing done. A good place to start in looking for a dog is the breed societies. You do have to do your homework. Poorly bred purebreeds can have very serious genetic disorders. Or temperament problems. A good breeder will also provide guarantees as well.

For example, over 20 years ago I was looking at getting a Saint Bernard (I ended up getting a Newfoundland instead). There was an issue of poor temperament in a line of the WA Saint Bernards that the anecdotal information suggested went back to a particular imported sire. This dog being a snappy, grumpy thing. Not a great attribute in a giant breed. It was unfortunately present in some of the WA saints back then. So I passed on the Saint Bernards and went for the Newfie as having a good temperament is part of their breed standard. I didnt regret it as he was a lovely (though slobbery) dog. This experience demonstrated the need to do your due diligence when buying a purebred dog.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by adamjp » 15 Jul 2020, 6:10 pm

Basenjis and Beagles have the same problem - once on a scent you WILL NOT stop them.

There is nothing like hearing a Beagle on a scent trail. There is nothing like trying to keep up with, and stop the little bugger too. Oh, and they will out eat any dog, any dog. Will eat their body weight in food and barf it all up, then eat the barf, repeat until they stop barfing it up. No, I'm not friggin' kidding.

The only issue with Dachshunds is that their backs are a problem. Great little hounds, strong prey drive, don't take s**t from anything, and when they bark they sound 4ft taller. Definitely able to indicate and scent trail. Can't point...seriously how the hell do you spot those little bloody legs in a classic point pose?

For full disclosure, I had Beagles as a kid, Dachshunds when a younger adult and would go with a Brittany Spaniel next time (but for the long hair which is bad for burrs, grass seeds and ticks).
adamjp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey