Found and lost 2 deer in a day

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Found and lost 2 deer in a day

Post by Lorgar » 11 Mar 2014, 11:09 am

So I had a fun weekend camping, sprinkled with a little frustration :lol:

Spent an afternoon then the following morning south of Lake Eildon... At mid day of the first afternoon on the way out, we found a big Red just strolling around in the open... Couldn't possibly have missed him... And he'd just crossed onto private property when we found him so we just watched him way away :lol:

In the afternoon we heard Sambar calls and tracked him for about an hour before we had to go back due to the darkness. During the time we caught a couple of glimpses through the trees of him, but it was just too far and too obstructed for a shot.

Then heard the same (we assume) Sambar in the morning, but just couldn't close the gap on him to take him. Had to call it an head home in the end.

This was around second creek in the state forest south of Lake Eildon, so if anyone finds him takes him before I get back to him send me a picture. Teasing bastard :lol:

Next time gadget, next time...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Found and lost 2 deer in a day

Post by AusC » 11 Mar 2014, 11:12 am

Send me some GPS co-ordinates, I'll fix his little red wagon ;)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Turkle » 11 Mar 2014, 12:23 pm

Good on you for letting the first one go.

I reckon a few people wouldn't have if they thought they could get away with it if he's just crossed onto private property.
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 11 Mar 2014, 12:33 pm

I'd have never done it, but I suspect the thought may have crossed my mind at the time too :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Arth » 11 Mar 2014, 2:31 pm

Lorgar wrote:we found a big Red just strolling around in the open... Couldn't possibly have missed him... And he'd just crossed onto private property when we found him so we just watched him way away :lol:

That SUUUUUUCKS!

:lol:
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey