We’d morning

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

We’d morning

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2020, 10:30 am

Did not set my alarm so woke up whenever Took the Ute , it’s now bogged. Then took the dog and rifle to an area I had been wanting to visit for a while since all the rain. But the usual 3 feet high grass is now 6 feet high , so turned around and walked back to my Ute ..then two hour walk back to my accommodation..... stepped in dog turd as soon as I got back. My dog has now put mud allover my my bed. Sometime somebody will turn up and help me get my Ute out. Bacon and orange juice for breakfast .....The wheat here is lush thick and green. Soil is chokkas full of moisture Hoping they have a great harvest
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: We’d morning

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jun 2020, 12:15 pm

By now, I hope your Ute is out :)
How does OJ go with bacon?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2020, 1:04 pm

Oj lamingtons cucumber and bacon sounds a bit rad but if I were a fox it would be worse because evertime I caught a mouse I gotta just eat the guts as well in order to stay alive ....the farm is totally quit , no visitors yet so my Ute will just have to stay put till help eventually arrives .....I still have my quad bike so I can still hunt meanwhile
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jun 2020, 2:57 pm

You can still hunt :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 6:23 pm

But ya love yer dog right ???
:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2020, 8:13 pm

Tune in here any time for the most boring action adventure to ever occur under the southern night sky ....I have just cleaned all the dry muck of my bed and Deisel is clean now so he’s welcolm back There’s nothing better than snuggling up with your dog on a hunt in winter time ....had a good look around tonight but only saw hares and Roos ... no foxes or cats .i think all the pigs have gone to the Bahamas. I don’t blame them ......I’ll prob do another quad session at 1030 and then another at 230 am
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 17 Jun 2020, 8:18 pm

What part of Queensland are you hunting in ?
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jun 2020, 9:02 pm

Blr243 wrote: There’s nothing better than snuggling up with your dog on a hunt in winter time ....had a good look around tonight but only saw hares and Roos ... no foxes or cats .i think all the pigs have gone to the Bahamas. I don’t blame them ......I’ll prob do another quad session at 1030 and then another at 230 am

Hence the saying "Two dog night"

The magic time here at the moment is 10pm to 11pm
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Jun 2020, 9:45 pm

what l have found is a "bad start will be a good finish" keep at it Blr its better than being locked up mate :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2020, 8:15 am

8 by57. I’m sort of Goondiwindi.....went out for two sessions last night but only saw hares and Roos Some places I want to take my quad I can’t due to bog potential. I have had a bit of a sleep in but after a quick brekky I might try a scrubby area on foot with the dog ...hopefully may find some still feeding due to the temp and gentle nature of this winter sun
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 18 Jun 2020, 9:00 am

Sounds like they’ve got a bit of rain out there, I’m heading out to Mitchell at the end of the month hopefully it’s been raining there as well
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Jun 2020, 9:11 am

Blr 243 , no hunting adventure is boring mate regardless whether you get something or not , it can become slow at times but it's the anticipation that keeps us doing it and to shoot a feral is just the icing on the cake and writing about it for others to read is what makes a forum like this . Also how's the ute got it out yet ?
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2020, 11:21 am

Not too worried about the Ute at the moment. I’m only 200 m from the managers house so we will catch up sooner or later
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2020, 11:24 am

Regarding rain and Mitchell. I think rain can be good and bad. We need it no doubt. Good luck on your trip and let us know how u go.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 18 Jun 2020, 9:03 pm

You need a set of Maxtrax, or similar. Handy when you are on your own and no trees to winch off.

023.JPG
023.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 3838 times

024.JPG
024.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 3838 times
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2020, 10:49 pm

Before I saw the word maxtrax I was struggling to understand the photo. Bits of red made me think there’s a Honda quad stuck real good in there somewhere.....reminds me of the time in lake field n p up the cape I wasn’t paying attention and got stuck in some soft sand forgot the shovel and was just useing my hands to scoop all the sand away. It was taking forever then I remembered the scooped paddles for the tinny I was laughing a lot about how easy it was and that I should have remembered the paddles sooner and we were out in two mins
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jun 2020, 12:50 am

Two sessions on the quad tonight. I’m seeing the same Roos and hares in the same spots. Previous hunts I have noticed something in that after 3-4 nights the animals get used to me and they must associate the sound of my quad with no shots. Regular trips to one particular part of a paddock the Roos just completely ignore me and let me drive straight thru the mob without stopping feeding ....but as I have not been here for three something months the first couple of nights the Roos and hares all went spastic but are now settling down realiseingbinpose no threat to them. I took a shot at a fox but missed so must check my scope tomorrow.....I briefly visited my Ute and found out midnight tonight that somebody has noticed I’m bogged and they have pulled it out for me while I was snoozing today so that’s good news .....if I can manage to drag myself out of a warm swag at 230 am I will try another session on my quad
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 19 Jun 2020, 2:01 pm

That was decent of them, to tow your car out.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jun 2020, 2:12 pm

Yes it gave me a bit of a boost to get a shot at a fox and find the Ute had been sorted for me ....it actually entered my mind that somebody would see it in their daily travels and sort it for me in my absence while they were there....while here the only talking I have done is to my dog ...I have not yet run into the owner, manager, or any farm employees so I don’t know who found my Ute ....they may be having a massive bludge after long days planting 10000 acres ..... I will run into them sooner or later
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey