308 suitable projectiles

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: 308 suitable projectiles

Post by northdude » 24 May 2023, 1:22 pm

The 140 a max was awesome in my x55. Then they stopped making them
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Bello » 04 Jul 2023, 10:23 am

Hi mate
I have tried various projectiles in my 308 rifles.
I tried some Hornady SST. They were very accurate, but at close ranges, I had 2 blow up when hitting game.
They put the game down no problems, I think they may be be a bit soft if used on game within 200 meters

I sighted one of my rifles in with Hornady 150gr interlocks. Not as accurate as the SST but they hold together better.
I also use Woodliegh projectiles in my 308, but haven't tied them on game as yet.

In my light weight 308, I use the ADI 135gr bullets. (The pre-loded stuff by ADI). See attached pic.
I found that the ADI 135gr were giving me about half inch at 200 meters, accurate enough for me if I steady the rifle.
I haven't had anything get up and walk off within 200 meters of being hit by one of these rounds.
I don't have to load for 308 as much as these are good bullets, and when the 308 goes off, everything scatters. So on a weekend hunt I only use a handful for rounds at best.
Attachments
sierra 135gr.jpg
sierra 135gr.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 04 Jul 2023, 10:54 am

Bello wrote:Hi mate
I have tried various projectiles in my 308 rifles.
I tried some Hornady SST. They were very accurate, but at close ranges, I had 2 blow up when hitting game.
They put the game down no problems, I think they may be be a bit soft if used on game within 200 meters

I sighted one of my rifles in with Hornady 150gr interlocks. Not as accurate as the SST but they hold together better.
I also use Woodliegh projectiles in my 308, but haven't tied them on game as yet.

In my light weight 308, I use the ADI 135gr bullets. (The pre-loded stuff by ADI). See attached pic.
I found that the ADI 135gr were giving me about half inch at 200 meters, accurate enough for me if I steady the rifle.
I haven't had anything get up and walk off within 200 meters of being hit by one of these rounds.
I don't have to load for 308 as much as these are good bullets, and when the 308 goes off, everything scatters. So on a weekend hunt I only use a handful for rounds at best.

with the adi 135's that's very good accuracy for such a stubby projectile out of a 308. i'm impressed . what brand of rifle shoots like that ?

:thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 04 Jul 2023, 5:05 pm

The only thing I would add is make sure any bullet you chose feeds well and shoot ok in the pump action before you go out and buy a lot more .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Bello » 05 Jul 2023, 11:46 am

Hi
That was 2 shots out of my Sako 85, 308 Finnlight, off a bench at Silverdale rifle range (200 meters).
I used to load for it, but when I get this sort of accuracy from the ADI 135gr bullets and the fact I don't tend to shoot more than a hand full of rounds on a hunting trip I decided to save myself a lot of time and headaches and just buy a can of the stuff.
It should last me a life time the way I shoot.

The below pic of my Sako 85, in 270 Winchester at the range, 100 meters. These are 130 grain pro hunters.
I tend to keep my hunting shots within 200 metes so I have gone back to the tried and true projectiles, nothing fancy just get the job done projectiles.

In my 300 Win Mag, once again a Sako Finnlight, I use Hornady interlock, I have attached a pic of them. Once again, just a no frills projectile, gets the job done.
Attachments
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 984 times
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 984 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 06 Jul 2023, 3:34 pm

RUGGA wrote:Im new to .308 and think ive settled on 165/8s. zmax, hot cor and game kings have been the best on pigs. Tried 180gn woodleighs which i assume were too stout for low velocity outta my 20inch barrel. 168gn tsx seamed to incapacitate but not kill as fast as the others.
Used some factory 180gn Power points that were fine but those loads were hotter than anything id stoke myself. 2680fps. Ball powder in hot weather im guessing pushed pressure up.

If there wasnt the chance of horses, buff etc in my hunting area id probably use lighter pills for flatter trajectory and more smack. If you go below your 150gn limit The 130gn woodleighs are cheap.
Ball powders like Winchester are more heat sensitive than ADI powders but a ball powder will last longer in the tin than most others types due to a high chemical stability .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by niceshot » 22 Mar 2024, 7:40 pm

Why anyone would want a pump action 308 is beyond me but each to thier own. I've found that Sako 150gr gameheads work very well on even the biggest boars. Factory stuff is very reasonably priced. To add to that the brass is excellent for reloading. I've shot a few wild donkeys with them and one shot one kill. They perform well. for bigger game I've been using Sako 162gn powerhead blades though twice the price and a bit they are an excellent bullet. They hod together and do the job without fuss. I have shot camels with these and they drop on the spot. I don't chase them where I hunt they come to me. water holes billabong best places for us old blokes to hunt. Hope you can try them out. By the way you can get a better handload velocity with gameheads using AR2208 .
niceshot
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 22 Mar 2024, 7:57 pm

Due to the prices of Nosler Ballistic Tips I'm reserving them for my 30-06 so I started looking for a cheaper alternative. The 165gr SST I've loaded up for a 300Win Mag and my 308Win. The accuracy has been excellent with handloads and 2206H the prices are still about $78/100 so pretty cheap alternative as some shops are advertising Nosler BT 165gr for $97/50.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 22 Mar 2024, 9:09 pm

A remmy 7600 is short light and handy and a delight to carry. The only other rifle I have that feels like I’m carrying nothing is my Rossi 357
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey