Waterloo State Forest

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Waterloo State Forest

Post by allthegearandnoidea » 25 Jun 2020, 5:58 pm

Has anyone tried their luck here? I was disappointed to see Mt Cole area is open only for pest hunting. Might take a drive out there and poke about.
allthegearandnoidea
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Waterloo State Forest

Post by JohnV » 02 Feb 2021, 11:53 am

According to my maps of Victorian game distributions there is an indication of Some Sambar around Waterloo area and some Red Deer more to the West . Mountains West of Cave Hill creek to Mt. Buangor area and in the area South of Mt Lonarch towards the pine plantations . This begs the distinct possibility of Some Red Deer in the Mount Cole area also . Red Deer move about quiet a lot and can cover large distances quickly .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by womble » 02 Feb 2021, 3:53 pm

It has been very dry up there. Not a lot of livestock on the farms and hardly see any roadkill. Not even much bird life.
I was about an hour north 2 weeks ago in Dunolly state forest.
It has been good in the past, but dry for a few years now.
However, if you just want to get out for a pot around it is an interesting place. Lots of old graves and tombstones from the gold fields.
The cemetery in there officially closed in 1891. But people just kept using it and the surrounding area.
Fun place but don’t get lost in there after midnight wooooo
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 07 Feb 2021, 8:16 am

If it's been very dry then I would hunt around any water holes or dams that may be in the area . Look for game trails to and from the water and follow them .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey