Walking Rifle and Shooting Rifle

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Walking Rifle and Shooting Rifle

Post by Red Mist » 17 Jan 2022, 2:23 pm

It is possible if you do it correctly. I use Subsonic trail boss loads in centrefire lever rifles for rabbits. These loads only have a few grains of trail boss in them with cast bullets to cut costs. With range lead and a trail boss the cost is about $20 per hundred. The cases can be shot more than ten times due to the low pressure. The bullet will generally kill instantly with little meat damage. The best part is that if I come across something larger like a pig, I push a couple off full loads in the tube and jack the sub out. I use this method with 357 mag currently as it is even cheaper and I find it more accurate.
Red Mist
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Walking Rifle and Shooting Rifle

Post by markg » 23 Jan 2022, 5:35 pm

Stick to one or the other, once you see that first big Sambar bunnies will be the last thing on your mind. I like you am pretty new to hunting, I was putting in long days without much luck. Now it's early morning or late arvo to dark. It's murder in these warmer months. I have had a big rethink about how I approach my hunt and it has paid big dividends, and it doesn't include walking all day. Sure you do a bit of recon but sneaking around the bush all day ? Winter time might make it more palatable but that's about it. I'm trying to learn all about the ways of deer and that's enough for me without thoughts of bunnies entering the equation. Good luck with it all. As I said I'm a newb but some lessons have been learned.
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey