Walking Rifle and Shooting Rifle

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Walking Rifle and Shooting Rifle

Post by WalterWild » 13 Jul 2020, 8:26 pm

Hi there hunters.

First post for me also pretty new to hunting in general so bare with me, i have found this forum so resourceful already.

I am finding i prefer stalking, or just getting in the bush for a long days walking to see what i come across and learn. Like to eat what i catch.

I have been out for fallow and seen a rabbit or a hare about but had too much bang to take a bunny for meat.

i was wondering if anyone walks with light weight take down or combo as well as their deer rifle? For me i'm just keen on anything i can eat.

Any advice or stories are always appreciated as long as it is about hunting :lol:
WalterWild
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Walking Rifle and Shooting Rifle

Post by marksman » 14 Jul 2020, 9:58 am

l would not even think about mixing the two TBH Walter

if l'm after fallow and shoot a rabbit more than likely l wont see any fallow although it is possible
my advise is to look at what you want and stick to it, l reckon you put your efforts into what you are targeting :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jul 2020, 10:24 am

marksman wrote:l would not even think about mixing the two TBH Walter

if l'm after fallow and shoot a rabbit more than likely l wont see any fallow although it is possible
my advise is to look at what you want and stick to it, l reckon you put your efforts into what you are targeting :drinks:

+1 I agree.

A bit different, but I have also on the odd occasion taken both shotty and 223 fox whistling. Can work but a just becomes a pain carrying both.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Jul 2020, 10:30 am

In a word,no.

But... there are certain places where I've certainly thought a combination gun would be very useful.

I've considered carrying a shotty as well as a rifle, but it just seems a pain tbh
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 14 Jul 2020, 10:42 am

For what it is worth mate, my advice is to go hunting for one or the other. I would think that walking around with two rifles would prove a bit problematic. Only problem is of course that if you’re out and about with your .22lr chasing bunnies, Murphy will have it that you will probably run into a trophy deer.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jul 2020, 12:46 pm

Yeah do it all the time.

Shot rabbits, foxes and deer all in the same day. Normally carry #2, or buckshot in the shotgun and whatever calibre of my rifle is at the time.

I recommend spending a few dollars on some good combos that you can actually hit a deer at 250m and a flying duck at 40 yards.

https://youtu.be/IV4v-xh0smY?list=PLVIn ... mKmfWgN4hO

https://youtu.be/bfyfLvp6QqA?list=PLVIn ... mKmfWgN4hO

https://youtu.be/src-r8oDTzk

I got too many hunting videos of combos to post.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jul 2020, 1:35 pm

Another option is to take a shotgun with solids for the deer and a handful of 4s for the rabbits
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Jul 2020, 2:28 pm

that thrower in the 2nd and 3rd vid is a feel good party trick thrower made for rifle shooters mchugh :lol: the ssaa should be ashamed :lol:

a mate who probably shoots with you in the big game rifle club has some double rifles that l have shot and regard them as very good for quick running shots especially, they are not not blaser but they shoot the same as yours which l reckon is pretty good as long as you keep your distances reasonable, l can see the reason for the combos but it would really sh!t me to death hearing a deers hooves crashing away after l just shot a rabbit or duck :drinks:
l do like your vids :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jul 2020, 3:17 pm

Before I got the ShotKam camera's I used to take them to Epping. I'd always get in an argument with the somebody there about the 24" rule. Which meant they were allowed under club rules. Otherwise I'd be posting more videos of me shooting sporting clays with them. Certainly good enough for hunting.

If you have been stalking all day and seen nothing and getting a 100m from camp and a rabbit or fox runs out then its good to be able to swing and drop one with the shottie.If I get invited to a new farm property which could have goats, pigs, deer, foxes, hares, ducks, rabbits, cats and they say everything is on the menu then again I'll take a combination gun. There is nothing worse that getting there and finding there is only one type of species because either the deer and pigs have been shot out or the calici virus hit the week before and there's no rabbits. I hate having to lug two or three guns and all my combinations are take down and fit in a nice little case.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2020, 3:36 pm

I’d just add - one centre fire shot - and any deer with a klm ++ just left...
I’ll often go out for a bush walk not expecting to pull the trigger - sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Jul 2020, 4:20 pm

G'day WalterWild,
What I carry depends on if I'm going to target a particular game, or a general walk around or spending a couple of days or more in the bush relaxing. I tend to agree with mchughcb, that a day of nothing is improved by the ability to take something before going home and a drilling or Cape gun opens up the possibilities. That said, I have taken rabbit with the 30/30 and the meat is not that badly damaged with a good head shot. If I read your intent correctly, that you just like being in the bush and targeted hunting is not the highest priority, then a drilling or Cape gun may be your best bet and can be found in inumerable combinations at prices to suit all budgets, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jul 2020, 6:02 pm

I think a walk with both would soon have you wishing you had left one behind .....try it and see.....it might be ok if u are tougher than most.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jul 2020, 6:49 pm

marksman wrote:l would not even think about mixing the two TBH Walter

This is the key problem.

These days I just carry the largest cartridge likely to be required.

e.g. If deer are in the area, take the 3006. If a fox pops up I use what I have in my hands, or pass up the shot.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 14 Jul 2020, 6:53 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I’d just add - one centre fire shot - and any deer with a klm ++ just left...
I’ll often go out for a bush walk not expecting to pull the trigger - sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t.

Not necessarily.
I've often shot something then found deer not far away from where I fired the shot.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 14 Jul 2020, 9:15 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day WalterWild,
What I carry depends on if I'm going to target a particular game, or a general walk around or spending a couple of days or more in the bush relaxing. I tend to agree with mchughcb, that a day of nothing is improved by the ability to take something before going home and a drilling or Cape gun opens up the possibilities. That said, I have taken rabbit with the 30/30 and the meat is not that badly damaged with a good head shot. If I read your intent correctly, that you just like being in the bush and targeted hunting is not the highest priority, then a drilling or Cape gun may be your best bet and can be found in inumerable combinations at prices to suit all budgets, Cheers.

Exactly right because anything can happen.

This day I had 2 x drillings.

https://youtu.be/4QSs1SAG9vY
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2020, 10:09 pm

bigpete wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:I’d just add - one centre fire shot - and any deer with a klm ++ just left...

Not necessarily.
I've often shot something then found deer not far away from where I fired the shot.

I stand corrected - deer near me are very skittish. I also think they learn what a shot is when somewhat confined by forest / pastural boundaries - at least in Tas highlands...I’ve been glassing up deer a long way away (1klm?) and I’ve over heard a shot across another gully and the deer I’m watching run 2-300m away - stop - look back, then keep jogging in opposite direction. That original shot might have been 5klm away...
Not bloody once - have the jogged my way lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jul 2020, 10:20 pm

"That original shot might have been 5klm away..."

Makes you wonder just how switched on they are.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 14 Jul 2020, 10:27 pm

If you're looking for meat a head shot is your friend. Get an accurate rifle and learn how to use it and you'll be a happy camper. A 223 will take deer, kangaroo and rabbit with headshots easily without destroying meat.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jul 2020, 10:53 pm

boingk wrote:If you're looking for meat a head shot is your friend. Get an accurate rifle and learn how to use it and you'll be a happy camper. A 223 will take deer, kangaroo and rabbit with headshots easily without destroying meat.

Yep, problem is not legal for any deer in Vic.

Twice in 14 months I've passed up shots on deer with my 223. :violin: (Reds & Sambar) Hence, if in possible deer country always take the 3006 now.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WalterWild » 15 Jul 2020, 2:38 pm

Ah gents I AM STOAKED! with these responses!!! thanks so much. I think my take away from all of it is potentially a combo when just walking, scouting to understand the territory i am in and having a solid deer rifle when hunting deer specifically.

Completely understand the risk of spooking the deer and it will all depend on what is in the freezer at the time!

Really great info as always. Thanks again. will post any results i have as well.
WalterWild
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Jul 2020, 5:58 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"That original shot might have been 5klm away..."

Makes you wonder just how switched on they are.

I think ? The deer that get accompanied with those in farms are far far less skittish, than those born in the wild...for me that means the highland deer, are more wild, are a harder hunt - but taste better...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 16 Jul 2020, 5:59 am

First deer I ever shot was high country sambar....when I went to the carcass its offsider was standing there watching me less than 100m away....nearly went and shot that one too,but thought better of it lol.
Last time I took my boy after fallow,I shot a fox with my 35 whelen,then stalked within 30m of a doe and her fawn less than a km away,but probably at least half an hour later...
Shot a buck earlier this year,walked over with my mate and my lad,and there were 2 deer 70m away watching us....
Shot a red deer years ago with my 300 weatherby and her mate stood there for another good 2 minutes after she dropped...

But crack a twig at the wrong time....lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 16 Jul 2020, 4:26 pm

l have had experiences where l have shot a deer and not long after l've shot another close by, or shot multiple because l new which deer was the lead female and the others did not know where to go without her guidance but l have had more experiences that after the shot you will not see deer in that area for 3 weeks or more and l am not talking about deer that are under pressure :unknown: where you find deer is where you find deer,
its not written in stone but why take the chance :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 16 Jul 2020, 6:12 pm

Shot a few deer where a fox beat me to the carcass
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 16 Jul 2020, 8:25 pm

mchughcb wrote:Shot a few deer where a fox beat me to the carcass

l shot one that a dog gone wild was onto before l got to it, it scared the crap out of me as l walked over with only a knife in my hand
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 17 Jul 2020, 5:26 pm

marksman wrote:
mchughcb wrote:Shot a few deer where a fox beat me to the carcass

l shot one that a dog gone wild was onto before l got to it, it scared the crap out of me as l walked over with only a knife in my hand

Yeah that's when you need a machete :lol:
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jul 2020, 7:49 pm

I heard a tale where somebody shot a red deer and then had a confrontation with a pack of dogs. But he was a bit of a tool and said “I’m not scared of dogs, if they attack I will jam my fist down their throat “..... I think that’s pretty ridiculous....the dog will bite down hard as hell, and then start fast and violently shaking it’s head from side to side .....and later the surgeons at the hospital have a massive job ahead of them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Jul 2020, 7:49 pm

l'm not a kiwi but l tell you l did a really good haka to scare that dog away :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 17 Jul 2020, 8:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:I heard a tale where somebody shot a red deer and then had a confrontation with a pack of dogs. But he was a bit of a tool and said “I’m not scared of dogs, if they attack I will jam my fist down their throat “..... I think that’s pretty ridiculous....the dog will bite down hard as hell, and then start fast and violently shaking it’s head from side to side .....and later the surgeons at the hospital have a massive job ahead of them

Maybe but see if you carrying your walk around gun, your shotgun barrel is loaded with buckshot or BBs and you'll probably get two with one shot, maybe even three . I can tell you between the yelping and the KaBOOM the dogs won't be hanging around.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jul 2020, 8:27 pm

Now I need a cat d licence so I can carry an AK as well as my deer gun in case dingoes, panthers and wombats turn up to eat my deer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey