It only takes a few!

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

It only takes a few!

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Aug 2020, 12:23 am

Yep, just takes a few. Then legitimate hunters cant get permission. The thing is, these jokers usually refer to them selves as "hunters".

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/lates ... -bad-image
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: It only takes a few!

Post by mickb » 05 Aug 2020, 9:57 am

Looks to me like an attack on thermal scope ownership on the horizon.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2020, 10:09 am

W@nkers
I'm out to panic buy thermal scopes asap
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by trekin » 05 Aug 2020, 10:22 am

mickb wrote:Looks to me like an attack on thermal scope ownership on the horizon.

I dare say SSAA won't oppose (behind the scenes, or eslewhere) any such new law.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Aug 2020, 10:30 am

Oh! I thought it was about shooting on private property without permission. Mmm and from public roads.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 05 Aug 2020, 10:55 am

With Private land access being a huge issue no public land acess in qld. Door knocking these days is a almost fruitless venture with farmers more than willing to take you on to help them with free labour but unwilling to let you shoot even anything as little as a 22. And look its their property so its their call.

It is a problem that these mupets have brought onto all of us. I dont know what the soloution is to best solve it but its something i cant see getting any better in the not to distant future. And yes before anyone thinks im on the fence i oppose poaching
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Aug 2020, 11:03 am

poachers and tresspassers are crims and as others have said they should lose their license and their gear ! :thumbsdown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 05 Aug 2020, 12:11 pm

I tend to think of poachers , esp nighttime road runners , as feral, selfish, dishonest ratbags... how do these type of people have The type of job that pays well enough to go out and spend 8 k on a thermal scope?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2020, 1:14 pm

Blr243 wrote:I tend to think of poachers , esp nighttime road runners , as feral, selfish, dishonest ratbags... how do these type of people have The type of job that pays well enough to go out and spend 8 k on a thermal scope?

There's no shortage of Ferals with high paying jobs.
Think mining, exploration and oil & gas
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by trekin » 05 Aug 2020, 2:28 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I tend to think of poachers , esp nighttime road runners , as feral, selfish, dishonest ratbags... how do these type of people have The type of job that pays well enough to go out and spend 8 k on a thermal scope?

Pretty broad brush there mate. Having spent my whole working life, before being pensioned off, working in these three areas, and I can tell you that the percentage of ferals is no higher than whatever line of work you are in.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 05 Aug 2020, 5:33 pm

Miners were some of the hardest fastest workers I worked with, but personal ethics wise some were pretty loose. Id been in the military so was pretty sheltered I guess. The drug use, vehicle bingles and theft in mining topped anything I had seen previously :D I was a stores supervisor in mining and had to nail everything down or it walked.
Last edited by mickb on 05 Aug 2020, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by marksman » 05 Aug 2020, 5:47 pm

we wont have to worry about deer poachers or thermals if the vic government have there way with what l have heard is planed, aerial baiting and shooting the deer
apparently some of the farmers down the ottways have already been advised that it will be going ahead
and l also know people from the yarra ranges who would be very happy to see them gone
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2020, 6:24 pm

trekin wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

Pretty broad brush there mate. Having spent my whole working life, before being pensioned off, working in these three areas, and I can tell you that the percentage of ferals is no higher than whatever line of work you are in.

Harden up, no need to get offended ... I've spent my entire working like in those sectors and I'm proud to be a cashed up bogan, there's a high density population of rednecks in those sectors earning decent coin.
If your looking for an irresponsible twat who can drop 8K on a scope, look no further. I doubt you'll find cashed up bankers,lawers and other professionals out and about poaching.

The question was "how do these type of people have The type of job that pays well enough to go out and spend 8 k on a thermal scope?"
I stand by my comment.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 05 Aug 2020, 6:41 pm

I see that sometimes some farmers want to have the cake and eat it too, for example some won't let shooters on yet will get on the tv and complain about the government is not doing enough to control pests but one of the reasons for this is these idiots and poachers, as far as the poachers and trespassers (shooters) go they should loose their guns, gun licence , car licence and anything used to carry out the illegal act it's the only way to keep our respect from people intact, show that it's not condoned by any of the hunting and shooting community, this will also free up the tensions that farmers have with shooters when they see this sort of conduct being forced out by the very people that enjoy this sport, in my area i shoot pests for farmers and others and the poachers live on thin ice up here and are commonly refered to as the ''Little dick brigade'' because they usually don't have the balls or the knowhow to do it properly, it's usually people with big Ego's or Pissheads combine them both and you have a stupid and dangerous shooter, someone who doesn't deserve a gun licence
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2020, 6:54 pm

mickb wrote:Miners were some of the hardest fastest workers I worked with, but personal ethics wise some were pretty loose. Id been in the military so was pretty sheltered I guess. The drug use, vehicle bingles and theft in mining topped anything I had seen previously :D I was a stores supervisor in mining and had to nail everything down or it walked.

Absolutely. Even if it's nailed down, they'll book out a claw hammer to pull the nails. Fancy earning 100k / 200k and finding the need to steal from the workplace.
Olympic Dam was the worst I saw for theft. They even had bobcats, lighting plants and excavators walk off that site.
One bloke who got caught out took the police to his stash of stolen goods at Andamooka, apparently it was a mind boggling hours of goods and equipment :shock:
Also, I've never seen so many men and women in any one workplace other than mining who struggle to use a toilet without getting feces on the walls :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 05 Aug 2020, 7:11 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
mickb wrote:Miners were some of the hardest fastest workers I worked with, but personal ethics wise some were pretty loose. Id been in the military so was pretty sheltered I guess. The drug use, vehicle bingles and theft in mining topped anything I had seen previously :D I was a stores supervisor in mining and had to nail everything down or it walked.

Absolutely. Even if it's nailed down, they'll book out a claw hammer to pull the nails. Fancy earning 100k / 200k and finding the need to steal from the workplace.
Olympic Dam was the worst I saw for theft. They even had bobcats, lighting plants and excavators walk off that site.
One bloke who got caught out took the police to his stash of stolen goods at Andamooka, apparently it was a mind boggling hours of goods and equipment :shock:
Also, I've never seen so many men and women in any one workplace other than mining who struggle to use a toilet without getting feces on the walls :lol:

Really? Exactly what year was that? Every bit of gear leaving site either under WMC or BHP had to be decontaminated for uranium and given a ticket before it leaves. As for Andamooka, its a pretty small opal town so word gets around fast.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2020, 7:41 pm

mchughcb wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

Really? Exactly what year was that? Every bit of gear leaving site either under WMC or BHP had to be decontaminated for uranium and given a ticket before it leaves. As for Andamooka, its a pretty small opal town so word gets around fast.

About 20years ago under WMC, Everything had to be decontaminated just the same back then.
They reckon the machines left site in the back of a tandem tipper.
Plenty of truck and vehicles leave site daily with nothing but a quick wheel wash. It's the U/G vehicles and machines that need the propper decontamination

I'd be will to bet that you can still drive straight off site into the station country and pop out down Borefild Road past the Dog Fence bypassing the security gates.
Last time I was there the fence only covered half the site on the OD side.

As for Andamooka, it might be a small town but there's thousands of hectares of opal mines to stash stuff in.
As a side note, it was considered "big" enough for a certain outlaw motorcycle gang to claim it as their own ... at least until the mine ran them out of town by sacking every last one of them :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 05 Aug 2020, 8:30 pm

Fair enough.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Aug 2020, 10:19 pm

l am not saying the poachers are not using thermal or night vision but it is an assumption that that is the problem

in the yarra ranges l was shooting pest sambar on a populous place permit and often saw spotlights and heard rifles going off, it was poachers as it was a deer protected area, what apparently would happen is the shot would be taken and the guys would take off coming back at a later time to get the deer, these guys did not just take the heads as they were after the meat, still the same they are poaching and should not be doing it

at the same time the ada were doing deer pest control in the yarra reservoir area thinning them down quite a bit
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 05 Aug 2020, 10:55 pm

It a bit silly to think thermal scopes are a product of poaching even though some would probably use them to do so and as far a thermals are an accident ready to happen i think there is more of a chance of the shooter shooting themselves in the foot than shooting someone or a prized animal when using thermal , i just can't get over the non practical thinking of some people , the thermal scope in my eyes could be one of the very things to turn the tides on the increase of ferals by hunting them in the dark, if a farmer is cautious of thermal scopes being used on their property, all they have to do is say so and it is sorted but poachers are a different concern to the farmers, ''Bring Back The Biff'' i say ''lol''
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 06 Aug 2020, 12:06 am

mchughcb wrote:[

2012 onwards in my case, which was on open cut sites in QLD. It got better after the crash of couse, they had to stop running off the mining motto of "we move fast, we generate huge profits, we waste tons of crap".:D I hadnt done mining before but had been patching up supply chains in other countries before that. Found it was not hard to kick goals in mining and save maintenance workshops and plant fleets a ton of money. They are dark ages when it came to cost effectiveness, they never had to try hard during the last couple decades boom. As mentioned things changed a lot when it crashed, started running a lot leaner.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by boingk » 06 Aug 2020, 12:13 am

This is the sort of thing that does my head in:

Sporting Shooter wrote:"“To get on top of it once and for all I think we need a combination of approaches.

“Things like permanent traffic monitoring cameras to establish night time traffic patterns then an unannounced increase in police presence during the hours of the night that traffic spikes.”

Yeah, sure, lets make it even more of a Police state for the sake of a few deer. How about get out there and do something? Drive of an evening around the bounds of the property, make it random. It's not the communities property, it's yours goddamit. Run a fence worth a damn while you're at it and make sure the gates are locked with something other than laminate $2 locks I can bust with a scredriver and a single hand FFS.

No, crap like this shouldn't happen... but yes it does indeed happen. All I can say is be prepared to do something about it when it does. If that is barb fences and hardened locks then so be it. You lock your doors at night? Good. Lock the property as well.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by mchughcb » 06 Aug 2020, 7:58 am

Not sure why this is in sporting shooter? Should be in neighborhood watch or something.

Anyway if you want to see a crime watch on youtube the editor of sporting shooter use a drone on snake island looking for hog deer.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey