WA hunting suggestions wanted

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

WA hunting suggestions wanted

Post by Jimmy » 12 Aug 2020, 8:41 pm

Hi everyone
New to wa and looking for some properties to go hunting on in the southwest. Ive been out door knocking and been shooting at a few club days, but havent had much success in locating anything. Im a current ssaa member. Anything from foxes pigs deer etc.. ive plenty of experience as ive been hunting in nz for about 15 years. Anything would be appreciated
Cheers jimmy
Jimmy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: WA hunting suggestions wanted

Post by niteowl » 15 Aug 2020, 10:48 pm

I am guessing you have a WA firearm licence and therefore have a property for a start. That should get you started with other properties?? Or is it a "club" licence only?
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 16 Aug 2020, 1:25 am

gotta network man, all ya can do, I know a bit of salt on that with a lemon juice papercut seeing as how I am saying this as someone born into a large farming family and community, but yeah networking is how you will do it. make friends, make no fackups, dont step on toes and be careful who you talk about cos everyone knows everyone. youll find some places soon enough. dont hold out too much hope for deer tho, they tend to cop a flogging anywhere its legal to shoot at them.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Jimmy » 16 Aug 2020, 5:06 pm

niteowl wrote:I am guessing you have a WA firearm licence and therefore have a property for a start. That should get you started with other properties?? Or is it a "club" licence only?

Hi mate yes full license. Been shooting a few times up kalbarri but only goats. There's only so much goat curry one can eat. Just looking for something closer to home, kalbarri is a bit of a drive from busso. Thanks
Jimmy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Jimmy » 16 Aug 2020, 5:09 pm

Ziege wrote:gotta network man, all ya can do, I know a bit of salt on that with a lemon juice papercut seeing as how I am saying this as someone born into a large farming family and community, but yeah networking is how you will do it. make friends, make no fackups, dont step on toes and be careful who you talk about cos everyone knows everyone. youll find some places soon enough. dont hold out too much hope for deer tho, they tend to cop a flogging anywhere its legal to shoot at them.

Cheers mate will keep at it.
Jimmy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by niteowl » 17 Aug 2020, 2:38 pm

Jimmy wrote:
niteowl wrote:I am guessing you have a WA firearm licence and therefore have a property for a start. That should get you started with other properties?? Or is it a "club" licence only?

Hi mate yes full license. Been shooting a few times up kalbarri but only goats. There's only so much goat curry one can eat. Just looking for something closer to home, kalbarri is a bit of a drive from busso. Thanks

You in Busso?? You will find it hard around that area!!
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 17 Aug 2020, 3:42 pm

Might get some sneaky bowhunting in down that way though on smaller places, whistle in foxes, stalk some bunnies. better than nothing.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 17 Aug 2020, 4:31 pm

Hey Jimmy,
I am down your way. It's difficult to get hunting properties - you just need to find them the old fashioned way, talking to people, doing the door knock etc etc. Not easy I know.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2020, 5:10 pm

Ziege wrote:Might get some sneaky bowhunting in down that way though on smaller places, whistle in foxes, stalk some bunnies. better than nothing.

Do you mean you use firearms on smaller places over there?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 17 Aug 2020, 5:53 pm

well if ya have small arms and small places zoned rural, else get used to a bow and have fun that way on smaller plots.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2020, 8:44 pm

Ziege wrote:well if ya have small arms and small places zoned rural, else get used to a bow and have fun that way on smaller plots.

Over here small plots are fine with firearms. But if you can't get permission to shoot on somebody's property are they likely to let you use a bow?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 17 Aug 2020, 8:54 pm

probably more likely than a gun, especially given the population over that way is more special snowflake than further east and south of there, also there are a lot of members of southwest bowmen that go out for shots in that area.... also less legalities involved using a bow on private land... doesn't have to be zoned agricultural for one.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey