Which gps locator beacon to get?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Which gps locator beacon to get?

Post by remnt » 18 Mar 2014, 10:36 am

G'day,

The subject of emergency GPS locator beacons (or whatever they're properly called) came up the other week here on essentials of camping.

It's something I'd like to take a look at but have no idea of brands or anything about them really...

Can someone recommended a starting place?

Thanks.
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Which gps locator beacon to get?

Post by Chronos » 18 Mar 2014, 11:10 am

I think they're called EPIRBS

A good place to start would be marine shops like bias boating then hit up somewhere like Ryda mans search Ebay

Keep us informed with what you find. I'd be keen to get one this year too.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by creet » 18 Mar 2014, 12:08 pm

I'd be interested to know who's on the receiving end of these things?

Is there a body set up listening out just for these? Or are you just broadcasting your message and hoping someone picks you up?
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50mm
creet
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by DaleH » 18 Mar 2014, 12:27 pm

look at the SPOT tracker system. cheap, light \, accurate b\and flexible.

I recently purchased one of these for my guys doing exploration in remote WA. Real time tracking, Emergency response and check in with SMS capability - check it out
http://www.findmespot.net.au/
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Kelix » 18 Mar 2014, 3:09 pm

Some of the outdoor GPS systems must have an emergency feature too though?

Garmin or whoever.

Surely you don't need to buy a GPS and a beacon separately these days?
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Mar 2014, 5:33 pm

creet wrote:I'd be interested to know who's on the receiving end of these things?

Is there a body set up listening out just for these? Or are you just broadcasting your message and hoping someone picks you up?

Search and rescue are listening for EPIRB's, sensible boaties use them, they are mandatory for offshore yacht racing, you can register your details so they know who it is when activated.

I think the newer 416 type are better at pinpointing your location
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Press » 20 Mar 2014, 9:02 am

They're definitely a good idea. I've been slack and not gotten round to one but I seriously need to.

A few months ago I was in the VIC state forest and was crossing a log which had a rotten patch in the middle. All was solid and happily making my way across when I suddenly went through and landed poorly really jarring my leg.

Luckily didn't break anything, just had to rest for 20 minutes before limping back to camp and having the afternoon off. If I'd broken something though I was hours from help and no one would have wandered by :(
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Mar 2014, 11:44 am

Baronvonrort wrote:
I think the newer 416 type are better at pinpointing your location

I made a mistake, the better EPIRB use 406 Mhz.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by remnt » 20 Mar 2014, 12:46 pm

Thanks guys. I will research further with the new info.
CZ 453 .17 HMR
Mossberg 183T 410 Bore
Savage 10FP .308 Win
remnt
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 20 Mar 2014, 5:33 pm

remnt wrote:Thanks guys. I will research further with the new info.

Look up PLB (personal locator beacon) on EBAY, they all do the job but it MUST be GPS capable(a couple of meter search area) or there will be a 5 mile plus radius to search(a hell of a lot in the bush).

You should be able to get a GPS equipped one for the three hundred mark, you sometimes see hire ones for sale, there is nothing wrong with these usually except you lose a year or two battery life, no biggy if they are less than half price as long as you change the contact details etc.

Our family have three different types all good, mine is an ACR but the GME's just feel better but they all do the same job. I like the SPOT trackers mentioned earlier but don't have one personally.

Even if you pack nothing else always carry one, I meet quite a few wankers who have expensive boots and clothes but can't be bothered spending $300 on something that may save their life or at least prevent the need for dozens of searchers to risk theirs.

Save your life if something happens, swear to god
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 21 Mar 2014, 9:21 am

Press wrote:A few months ago I was in the VIC state forest and was crossing a log which had a rotten patch in the middle. All was solid and happily making my way across when I suddenly went through and landed poorly really jarring my leg.

Luckily didn't break anything, just had to rest for 20 minutes before limping back to camp and having the afternoon off. If I'd broken something though I was hours from help and no one would have wandered by :(

Lucky.

In the past I used to go canoeing and camping with a couple of mates in NSW. We would go to Kangaroo Valley which was a few hours out of town, then 3-4 hours worth of canoeing depending on how far we wanted to go.

On another trip of his to the same place (I wasn't there) his mate was whittling a stick as you do when camping, and like an idiot he was shaving the stick by moving the knife towards him instead of away.

As you've obviously guessed it went wrong... He was pulling the knife towards him and it got stuck on a knot or whatever in the stick, he applies more force, the knot gives and he slams the knife down the length of the stick and into his hand about an inch deep between the thumb and finger.

Continuing the trend of idiocy, because he didn't want to ruin the night for anyone he didn't tell even tell anyone and just wrapped it up in a rag and slunk off to bed.

The next day his hands useless, he's feeling s**t because he's got an infection or whatever but they're 4 hours for cell phone range so they had no choice but to canoe back with his ruined hand. Took them all day to get back :lol:

All worked out in the end, but shiiiiiit!
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 21 Mar 2014, 10:39 am

Just don't get the Malaysia Airlines version. I've heard the signal strength is limited..

... too early?...
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 21 Mar 2014, 10:53 am

Lorgar wrote:Lucky.

In the past I used to go canoeing and camping with a couple of mates in NSW. We would go to Kangaroo Valley which was a few hours out of town, then 3-4 hours worth of canoeing depending on how far we wanted to go.

On another trip of his to the same place (I wasn't there) his mate was whittling a stick as you do when camping, and like an idiot he was shaving the stick by moving the knife towards him instead of away.

As you've obviously guessed it went wrong... He was pulling the knife towards him and it got stuck on a knot or whatever in the stick, he applies more force, the knot gives and he slams the knife down the length of the stick and into his hand about an inch deep between the thumb and finger.

Continuing the trend of idiocy, because he didn't want to ruin the night for anyone he didn't tell even tell anyone and just wrapped it up in a rag and slunk off to bed.

The next day his hands useless, he's feeling s**t because he's got an infection or whatever but they're 4 hours for cell phone range so they had no choice but to canoe back with his ruined hand. Took them all day to get back :lol:

All worked out in the end, but shiiiiiit!

We tend to forget what life was like before antibiotics, people used to regularly die from stuff like that.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Hatter » 21 Mar 2014, 7:24 pm

petemacsydney wrote:... too early?...

No, just terrible :P
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by petemacsydney » 21 Mar 2014, 9:35 pm

Lol
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Kipper » 22 Mar 2014, 1:18 pm

Warrigul wrote:We tend to forget what life was like before antibiotics, people used to regularly die from stuff like that.

Like the good old days of the American pioneers and that kind of time when average life expectancy was 35 or something.

Get a scratch, die of infection.

Some rough living right there.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey