Spotting sambar with a camera

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Spotting sambar with a camera

Post by Wodez » 13 Sep 2020, 9:30 pm

I’m after some opinions with comparing some 15 power high end binoculars, spotting scope or a camera like a p900, fz80,sx70 or rx 10iv camera to spot sambar while backpack hunting.
I currently have a pair of Leica trinovids 8x42 that I use for my day to day stalking.

For those that glass a lot with a mate/group with different equipment or have tried different gear over the years what would you say spots the most deer? 8x binos, 15x binos or a spotter/high zoom camera while out in the alpine country.
Are spotting scopes more for 1km+? And are they mainly used to scan around the deer you find out in the open, hoping to find the stag near by?
Just wondering if the 8x binos can be the main tool and the occasional scan with the 60x optical zoom camera, to save battery
Cheers
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Spotting sambar with a camera

Post by marksman » 13 Sep 2020, 10:43 pm

you can see a hell of a lot with a set of really good quality 8x binos, l have a set of 8x42 Kahles binos that did cost a bit but l would not be without
that being said l glass up to 1 klm away when spot stalking in fringe country but they are very useful at 30 looking through the bush as well
l can see how a 60x zoom camera would be a very useful tool for setting up on gullys to scan big areas of bush
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 14 Sep 2020, 7:30 pm

Not sure ill be of help, but i use an 8x rangefinder for that, & have picked out billy goats up to 1200 metres away over a couple of hills with it...i have however needed to confirm they were goats with the 16x rifle scope. I also have bad eyes, so i think 8x should do you fine.
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Wodez » 15 Sep 2020, 8:18 pm

I havnt done much long range glassing with the 8x42 binos. But I think my best spot was a doe slowly walking through ferns at 850m. Everything else i have spotted a lot closer. But I very rarely sit and glass... I mostly stalk.
8x could work but I think the Deer would have to be fairly out in the open to spot bedded or on the move to have the most chance of 8x being helpful.
I’m planning on doing a few backpacking hunts and I’m thinking some better zoom and some more patience will save some legwork
Wodez
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey