NSW R Licence

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

NSW R Licence

Post by duddley75 » 21 Sep 2020, 9:30 am

So I am doing my R licence soon and I asked the SSAA if I need to do any pre-reading for it. They said just refer to the DPI website about it. Not entirely helpful.

For any of you that have done the R licence before (recently), is there much you need to know before going to do it or does the session cover what you need to know?

thanks
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: NSW R Licence

Post by DeadPool » 21 Sep 2020, 6:47 pm

Mate just have a quick read of the Code of Practice but as for the rest, the Hunter LEAP trainer will have the training book. It is an open book exam and really there is no prep required to pass the course.

The R licence is actually very quick to get and from memory you can hunt once you have received your confirmation from DPI that you have been granted the licence, although the licence itself doesn't take long to arrive, unlike stuff from the FAR.

The DPI online services web site (for booking forests, getting written permission and maps etc.) is getting an overhaul at the moment so hopefully the new one will be modern and not clunky like the previous one.
DeadPool
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 21 Sep 2020, 10:05 pm

Thanks,

Yep did it tonight. Open book test, very straight forward.

Seems a bit pointless the way it is actually done.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by DeadPool » 22 Sep 2020, 7:12 am

duddley75 wrote:Thanks,

Yep did it tonight. Open book test, very straight forward.

Seems a bit pointless the way it is actually done.

Mate I dare say it is to cover the liability to DPI more than anything. It is essentially a system where they can show that you have taught the rules and your obligations in regards to safety and animal welfare so their insurance company is happy and they can point to it should something nasty happen. Box ticking.
DeadPool
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duddley75 » 22 Sep 2020, 7:39 am

DeadPool wrote:
Box ticking.

Very much so.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 22 Sep 2020, 3:35 pm

may be so-but having been inspected a few times-make sure you know the rules-the inspectors are very friendly ,helpful blokes-but each time ive been asked to show my permission,my R licence, my gun licence and my map (Avenza on phone)
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Nails » 27 Jan 2021, 7:27 pm

I see there are courses run in Qld, but don’t you need to reside in NSW to be able to use the R licence? As a Queenslander, it would be great if we could get one of these, make a booking and going hunting on State Forest land over the border. Surely its not that easy?
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jan 2021, 7:46 pm

Nails wrote:I see there are courses run in Qld, but don’t you need to reside in NSW to be able to use the R licence? As a Queenslander, it would be great if we could get one of these, make a booking and going hunting on State Forest land over the border. Surely its not that easy?

You don't have to reside, but you might struggle to find somebody outside NSW doing the course. Might have to make a visit.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bilko » 31 Jan 2021, 8:17 am

Nails - I am at the top end of the Gold Coast and did my R course through HSSA. Quick and easy - took 1 1/2 hours from memory. As Deadpool said, just have a read of the Code of Practice beforehand. It really is a box tick exercise to cover their DPI’s arse. The NSW GMA were brilliant to deal with. I did the course for all 4 disciplines - rifle, bow, dogs and black powder, but only ticked rifle on the application. Got a phone call 4 days after lodging saying I should have ticked all 4, kept my place in the queue while they emailed the application back to me so I could amend it. Email arrived 5 minutes later, fixed and returned it and 10 minutes later had an email con firming approval of licence. Now just have to pick a SF to go to.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nails » 31 Jan 2021, 1:17 pm

Thanks Bilco that sounds great. Ill see how soon I can book in for the course.
Nails
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 31 Jan 2021, 1:24 pm

Couple of years ago i did it at the ssaa shot show in brisbane it was a open book exam but really it would have been something that you could have done just of common knowledge.

There was a exam on the r licence website also bit that was kore ao to do with how to read topography maps.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey