Tracking success anyone ?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Tracking success anyone ?

Post by Blr243 » 30 Sep 2020, 12:40 pm

While rambling about Dirranbandi in another dept of this forum it reminded of the time I found some fresh tracks and followed them until I eventually found the mob of pigs in some log grass so I shot the biggest one with my bow.....a few other times after recent rain I have followed fresh tracks in country that is favourable in relation to the ease of being able to follow tracks but I have always lost the tracks before success. This incident at Dirranbandi was different ...eventually I found a pig poo still giving off steam and I was spurred on with the hope the mob might now be close ...after a couple more minutes of tracking and spitting out the taste of that poo I found the mob and got the boar. Has anyone else managed to find game this way ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Tracking success anyone ?

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Sep 2020, 11:22 pm

G'day Blr243,
Yes, I was taught to track very early on and most of my hunting relied on it. I would say most here would use observation of game activity to determine good areas and many would follow spoor to locate game as well as simply observing likely areas. I received a lot more tracking skills in my late teens which helped my hunting no end. Pretty much past it now, I would need to track on my hands and knees with my magnifying glass! Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Tracking success anyone ?

Post by Blr243 » 01 Oct 2020, 7:57 am

Number one , when u mentioned that u were taught to track very early reminded me of the fact that I never really had a teacher as hunting was not in my family so I had to work it out for myself. But if your keen u work it out anyway. I ditched the rifle In favour of the bow and that forces u to learn fast otherwise you are just bushwalking and scaring evening away as you go
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey