Hunting an orchard.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting an orchard.

Post by Ziege » 29 Oct 2020, 3:16 pm

Larry wrote:
Ziege wrote:some corn barley and a wee bit of yeast will probably bait them in too, bag of oats or barley aint too expensive.

Not that easy to make a brew with grains. Get the home brew kit if you want to make beer otherwise use sugar or molasses. However that is more like a wine or wash for distilling. Still probably work though.

huh? it will sour on its own with just water, im not talking making the beer, the goal is making a pig attractant.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 29 Oct 2020, 3:33 pm

Ziege wrote:
Larry wrote:
Ziege wrote:some corn barley and a wee bit of yeast will probably bait them in too, bag of oats or barley aint too expensive.

Not that easy to make a brew with grains. Get the home brew kit if you want to make beer otherwise use sugar or molasses. However that is more like a wine or wash for distilling. Still probably work though.

huh? it will sour on its own with just water, im not talking making the beer, the goal is making a pig attractant.

Sounds alot like the start of a half decent whiskey just wait two weeks or so and run through a still twice drink with ice then forget to worry about the pigs problem solved :D :D
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 29 Oct 2020, 5:53 pm

LMAO!!! Well better to keep them guessing then blame of damn poachers.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 30 Oct 2020, 12:29 am

Set up some tree stand or hi seat so when you shoot the round goes in the ground keep in mind were the houses are live traps work best
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 30 Oct 2020, 5:51 am

This is just an idea that I came up with ....laugh as much as you want. I hunt a paddock a long way from people That can protect the paddock by visiting it ...the left overs from the last crop are in super high demand because of the very high protein content Pigs don’t breed or rather can’t breed unless their protein consumption is at a certain level ...I have noticed early in the night that when they are at their hungriest they will still enter this paddock even when they can hear me shooting in it ....but nothing clears the paddock faster than the scent of man or dog ...I had an idea that along the northern boundary wher the pigs enter the crop from the safety of the thick scrub , install automatic Human scent puffers every 200 m , with timers to activate scent distribution at night when the pigs are game enough to enter the paddock.....but where can u buy human scent ? I googled it. I think from memory I found hunan scent available in the USA. It was a bait for mosquito traps. Previously I thought mozzies were attracted to people because of the emitted co2. But from memory human scent also plays a part. I’m pretty sure the mozzie traps and the human scent bait was available for purchase but I have no idea of how to import this product or if it would work. I considered doin a trial of one kilometre protected boundary and one kilometre un protected. Then all night with my thermal binos I could watch from a distance. I liked the idea of being able to profit from the sale of these so I could give up my day job. I know cost effective crop protection is important.. Prevention is better than cure .....better to scare the pigs away in the first place than to have to shoot them while on the crop.....farmers want to sleep at night. They don’t want to be cruising around in a land cruiser at midnight. That sort of thing is for us crazy lot. Expensive Heavy duty ring lock pig proof fences get washed away in the first flood on flood plain country
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 30 Oct 2020, 5:44 pm

Blr im not laughing but I had a similar thought.
I'm going to get some pig poo and soak it in a 1000l pod for a week then fertigate it on, the thought being pigs won't eat where they crap so it should work.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Oct 2020, 7:00 pm

Is this the section where we contribute random crazy ideas? Another from me , when approaching a mob with the wind in my face. At night. Stalk up to within 40 , and then with a slingshot And stone wrapped in a handkerchief That I have been carrying under my arm , lurch the stone over the pigs ... as soon as they smell it directly upwind of them , they turn and run straight at me. And I can shoot most of the mob
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by snag » 30 Oct 2020, 7:07 pm

I might just try that ......
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 30 Oct 2020, 7:53 pm

Otherwise as soon as I shoot the first pig , the remainder run into the wind away from me , and I’m lucky to get another
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2020, 9:20 am

Blr243 wrote:Is this the section where we contribute random crazy ideas? Another from me , when approaching a mob with the wind in my face. At night. Stalk up to within 40 , and then with a slingshot And stone wrapped in a handkerchief That I have been carrying under my arm , lurch the stone over the pigs ... as soon as they smell it directly upwind of them , they turn and run straight at me. And I can shoot most of the mob

Lol. I thought of that many years ago. But never did it. I think it's worth a try.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2020, 9:51 am

wet oats in a bucket and small piles around on the ground, when wet smells like a brew :thumbsup:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by trekin » 31 Oct 2020, 10:14 am

Farmerpete wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I control stray bullets in my 243 by useing 87 vmax And being close to the pigs and making sure I don’t miss But u usually only get one pig and the rest are running and difficult to shoot precisely

I also have the added advantage of the shotgun being semi-automatic...the problem is it only holds 3+1 of buckshot or slugs because of the roll crimp. The buggers are smart they've worked out the range of the buckshot so iv had to step up to 30-30.

Blr243 wrote:Is this the section where we contribute random crazy ideas? Another from me , when approaching a mob with the wind in my face. At night. Stalk up to within 40 , and then with a slingshot And stone wrapped in a handkerchief That I have been carrying under my arm , lurch the stone over the pigs ... as soon as they smell it directly upwind of them , they turn and run straight at me. And I can shoot most of the mob

Oldbloke wrote:

Lol. I thought of that many years ago. But never did it. I think it's worth a try.

Many years ago now, back when life was simpler, we used to round the mobs back towards us with an 8 round 12ga Bently pump riot gun and birdfright rounds. 8 rounds and one up the spout, chambered round: birdfright then buck, then slug, rinse and repeat till mag was full. Utter kaos (for the pigs) - ensured, total destruction of the mob- 99% guaranteed.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ferrisweil » 31 Oct 2020, 4:13 pm

Hey mate. I do a lot of shooting in avo orchards and also a number of nurseries, both having Reasonably close proximity to other blocks.
I’m all thermal now and since going down this path a number of years ago now, the numbers we cull have skyrocketed.
Having said that, there is one orchard I shoot on where the numbers have steadily declined due to regular shooting.
One thing I’ve noticed about pigs eating avos is their size comparable to say pigs in western Qld. They bulk up alright and in my opinion, shotties are tough work in an orchard as you’ve gotta get pretty close to drop these bigger pigs and you also don’t wanna start hitting the avo trunks in a commercial orchard...
My shooting buddy and I have also just started using a thermal drone. Very effective in finding them and would be an awesome way to flush them off your block if you didn’t want to shoot them....
Another alternative is the blank shots that some farmers use on grain crops that can be automated to go off every hour to scare away ferals. Some places even use sounds recordings these days.
What I like about thermal though, is the precision you can use. You’re not rushing your shot by spooking the pigs with a spotlight, so you can be a lot more conscious of what’s behind your shot, and pick your line.
The main probs I’ve found is that in an orchard, the wind swirls a lot, so you’ve gotta be pretty sorted on not getting winded...
If you’re anywhere in SE Qld, shoot me a message mate and I’d be happy to come along with the thermal gear and have a look around your block with you. I’m more than happy not to shoot, that’s not my intention, as I’ve got access to more places to shoot on than I have time.
The avo blocks I shoot on are around 400 acres and we’re selective with our shots there as well, using 308’s, creeds and 22 mags on the hares that smash the saplings...
Happy to even have a yarn on the phone if that helps....
Just shoot me a message if ya want
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Nov 2020, 4:48 pm

My standard drone rarely gets used on hunting trips. I need to be more faliliar with it because I’m scared of losing it ....if i lash out and get a thermal drone I’ll probably be too scared to even unwrap it from its box !
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Nov 2020, 2:15 pm

Want human scent? Just piss in a bottle.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey