Hunting an orchard.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting an orchard.

Post by Farmerpete » 28 Oct 2020, 4:36 pm

so I've been having a lot of drama's with pigs in the avo patch, spent probably close to 10k fixing it already :thumbsdown: , my question is has anyone hunted in an orchard before and what tips/advice would you give?

Also I'm considering baiting what's the best bait feed wise to use on pigs
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Hunting an orchard.

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 4:40 pm

Dont shoot the trees, FENCE things off robustly, set a mechanical trap, keep the ground as clear as possible, if its a large orchard and fencing is impractical, look for entry points and keep baited traps open there well laden with the refuse and waste from the orchard, dont set the traps to trap the pigs until they are accustomed to the food/bait being there, use corn/potato/beer and or stock pellets fermented as a bait, it stinks to high heck but they love it. the more "boomery" the beer is the better so keep ya eye out for spoiled grog
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 28 Oct 2020, 4:59 pm

Thanks zeige,
would fermented mangoes work? Or do i specifically need beer
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 5:05 pm

depends how vinegary it goes I think the sourness of the off beer seems to do the trick, Texas hog hunting trick.

but youre really gonna have to make an effort to have very little food elsewhere, as in not tonnes of random avo on the ground etc.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Oct 2020, 5:08 pm

Google earth the area and scope / set flags as to the safe directions for shooting...then bait in those areas and pay Elmer to come down with his 260 to plink them off from distances where they won’t even know wtf is going on lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 28 Oct 2020, 5:14 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Google earth the area and scope / set flags as to the safe directions for shooting...then bait in those areas and pay Elmer to come down with his 260 to plink them off from distances where they won’t even know wtf is going on lol.

I've got houses all around, i know where they are but to be safe I can use a shotgun or 30-30 anything longer would probably be a worry, probably not dangerous but not 100% certainty either.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Oct 2020, 5:27 pm

Farmerpete wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Google earth the area and scope / set flags as to the safe directions for shooting...then bait in those areas and pay Elmer to come down with his 260 to plink them off from distances where they won’t even know wtf is going on lol.

I've got houses all around, i know where they are but to be safe I can use a shotgun or 30-30 anything longer would probably be a worry, probably not dangerous but not 100% certainty either.

Is a bow maybe an option then ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Farmerpete » 28 Oct 2020, 5:30 pm

Ziege wrote:Dont shoot the trees, FENCE things off robustly, set a mechanical trap, keep the ground as clear as possible, if its a large orchard and fencing is impractical, look for entry points and keep baited traps open there well laden with the refuse and waste from the orchard, dont set the traps to trap the pigs until they are accustomed to the food/bait being there, use corn/potato/beer and or stock pellets fermented as a bait, it stinks to high heck but they love it. the more "boomery" the beer is the better so keep ya eye out for spoiled grog

The problem im having with baiting is they're too well fed on the grubs in the ground, they wouldn't bother me if they weren't tearing out roots looking for them, I've tried corn chook food wheat and peanuts, nothing seems to work because they love the grubs too much,even tried a professional trapper he had no luck, the best i did was shooting but i couldn't get the whole mob.
I've heard that they love alcohol so I'll give the beer a try.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 5:30 pm

bowhunting hogs is the best!!! simply no funner way to do it
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2020, 5:51 pm

Just an idea. Perhaps Brew up a can of home brew and try that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 6:14 pm

some corn barley and a wee bit of yeast will probably bait them in too, bag of oats or barley aint too expensive.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Peter988 » 28 Oct 2020, 6:37 pm

Get someone in with thermal gear.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 28 Oct 2020, 6:38 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just an idea. Perhaps Brew up a can of home brew and try that.

I found an old milk crate in the corner of the shed on the weekend it was full of 5 year old home-brew thought it was an old mead turns out beer doesn't age as well as wine.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2020, 7:09 pm

Farmerpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Just an idea. Perhaps Brew up a can of home brew and try that.

I found an old milk crate in the corner of the shed on the weekend it was full of 5 year old home-brew thought it was an old mead turns out beer doesn't age as well as wine.

Yeh, depending on the brew. 3 months to about 3 years, max.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 28 Oct 2020, 7:18 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Farmerpete wrote:

Maybe but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a bow and arrow
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Oct 2020, 7:38 pm

I used to sleep in a particular pig paddock at night about 1-2 am when I was tired ,,,I would have alarms on my phone every 15 mins to wake me up and scan. At about 230 330 am I was so tired that I used to sware at my phone every time An alarm work me. They were long nights. If pigs present shoot pigs. If no pigs , back to sleep ....but u gotta be keen
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 28 Oct 2020, 9:12 pm

A 30/30 or a shotgun.

With houses around a big slug from a 30/30 is as good a ricochet bullet as you can get.

Ferment the grain with water and molasses for 1-2 days. Make sure the water covers the grain and check after 6 and 12 hrs as the grain absorbs the water. Add some blood and bone if needed but make sure it is not the one that has the smell removed.

Do not put the grain where they are rooting. It won't work.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Oct 2020, 10:24 pm

Farmerpete wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
Farmerpete wrote:

Maybe but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a bow and arrow

Plan F = crossbow with small scope...or Plan K = a lot of trail boss plumbed into a steel pipe and you know the rest lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 10:25 pm

if they can have crossbows, totally banned in WA, go figure
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 28 Oct 2020, 10:31 pm

Ziege wrote:if they can have crossbows, totally banned in WA, go figure

I think x bows are also illegal in Tas unless I’m mistaken. Even bow hunting is banned in Tassie after a roo turned up hopping down highway with arrow stuck in it - but 18 yr old Johnny down street can buy a compound bow and 3 x razor heads for $200 from almost anywhere...for “target”.

When I lived in Brisbane 10 years bsck - one could purchase a cross bow over the counter with nothing else but cash...cash converters proudly displayed at least 5 per store lolz
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 28 Oct 2020, 11:32 pm

Im glad they can still buy a bow for recreational purposes, such items should NEVER be regulated, guns are over regulated as it is.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 29 Oct 2020, 7:28 am

If houses close to the orchard is a worry you might have to get in “doggers “ or do some precision shooting with a 22 centre fire behind the ear with a heavy projectile. 22 hornet with a 50 grain wouldn’t make a lot of noise or a 222/223 with a 60 grain partition maybe
Just a thought.....
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 29 Oct 2020, 8:37 am

Going to reiterate this im using 30-30 or shotgun not because there's too may houses close by but just because I'm being overly cautious, the other calibre in my cupboard is 243 and it *might* at the wrong angle go too far
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Oct 2020, 8:52 am

I control stray bullets in my 243 by useing 87 vmax And being close to the pigs and making sure I don’t miss But u usually only get one pig and the rest are running and difficult to shoot precisely
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Farmerpete » 29 Oct 2020, 9:27 am

Blr243 wrote:I control stray bullets in my 243 by useing 87 vmax And being close to the pigs and making sure I don’t miss But u usually only get one pig and the rest are running and difficult to shoot precisely

I also have the added advantage of the shotgun being semi-automatic...the problem is it only holds 3+1 of buckshot or slugs because of the roll crimp. The buggers are smart they've worked out the range of the buckshot so iv had to step up to 30-30.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 29 Oct 2020, 10:23 am

Two pigs sitting under a shady tree right now. Placing bets on weather Pete has aaa or 9 pellet in his shotgun ......how many acres is the orchard? Square or rectangular? Pigs entering from several locations ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 29 Oct 2020, 11:53 am

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-dogs-puppi ... b/k0c18434
and a bit of running may work long knife or spear
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 29 Oct 2020, 12:50 pm

Farmerpete wrote:so I've been having a lot of drama's with pigs in the avo patch, spent probably close to 10k fixing it already :thumbsdown: , my question is has anyone hunted in an orchard before and what tips/advice would you give?

Also I'm considering baiting what's the best bait feed wise to use on pigs

Yes hunted in an orchard before. I use the 30-06 with 220gr woodleighs and blow the living bejeezus out of them. The main thing is to know the orchard and know where the backstops are. Get yourself in the correct position. If you want to use a 30-30 rather than a shotgun no problems. If you can use a fast expanding pill that makes penetration less likely. Give the neighbours the courtesy of letting them know you are going to let some crackers off, especially at night as they last thing they want to do is spill their horlicks before bed.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Larry » 29 Oct 2020, 2:10 pm

Ziege wrote:some corn barley and a wee bit of yeast will probably bait them in too, bag of oats or barley aint too expensive.

Not that easy to make a brew with grains. Get the home brew kit if you want to make beer otherwise use sugar or molasses. However that is more like a wine or wash for distilling. Still probably work though.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Farmerpete » 29 Oct 2020, 3:01 pm

mchughcb wrote:
Yes hunted in an orchard before. I use the 30-06 with 220gr woodleighs and blow the living bejeezus out of them. The main thing is to know the orchard and know where the backstops are. Get yourself in the correct position. If you want to use a 30-30 rather than a shotgun no problems. If you can use a fast expanding pill that makes penetration less likely. Give the neighbours the courtesy of letting them know you are going to let some crackers off, especially at night as they last thing they want to do is spill their horlicks before bed.

The pigs are usually around between midnight and 4am it's better i not tell the neighbours because they're currently blaming the other neighbour.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey