Another new property, and success

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Another new property, and success

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Nov 2020, 11:50 pm

Today I headed out to a NEW property and settled overlooking a dam from mid afternoon till 9pm
Was hoping for a dog,,, but was rewarded with a huge feral cat,, and a pig.

Unfortunately as far as the pig is concerned, I can't post a pic as it rolled down the bank and into deep water.
Being very dark, I was not even going to attempt getting it out. I will return tomorrow and extricate it before it fouls the water real bad.

The cat on the other hand is whiteish grey, and striped like a racoon especially the tail,,,, and I've got some good pics of it.

Unfortunately due to forum changes on maximum allowable pic sizes that can be uploaded,,,, what I had left (posted in varmint section) isn't
worth a pinch of the proverbial when it came to posting. :wtf:

WDIEB, wasting my time ? :unknown: :silent: :crazy:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Another new property, and success

Post by JohnV » 29 Jan 2021, 7:45 am

That's good work . If you download this free image resizer it can squish down the file size of images and save in numerous formats . A .jpeg image is usually smaller than other formats . https://www.multipleimageresizer.net/download.aspx/
It's fairly easy to use .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jan 2021, 8:00 am

Yeh DJ has been doing ok lately. He usually just sits over water or bait. But puts in very long hours. Local cockies must love him.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2021, 1:47 pm

I have discovered a movement detection feature inside my thermal binos so I can set them up on a tripod in front of me while sitting on a dam at night ...if I doze off I hear a little beep to wake me up so I can then check to see if it’s anything of interest. ....dozeing off is not ideal but it’s a reality if I’m in a comfy chair. Sitting on un even feral ground with lots of prickles always keeps me awake no matter what
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 29 Jan 2021, 2:04 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have discovered a movement detection feature inside my thermal binos so I can set them up on a tripod in front of me while sitting on a dam at night ...if I doze off I hear a little beep to wake me up so I can then check to see if it’s anything of interest. ....dozeing off is not ideal but it’s a reality if I’m in a comfy chair. Sitting on un even feral ground with lots of prickles always keeps me awake no matter what

That's a very handy system . I designed my custom built chassis so I can actually fall sleep on the gun and then wake up and it's still right on target area , unless the ground is mushy but I never set up on wet ground anyway . Good for over baits but , I can't carry it far . We all nod off now and then when you may be waiting all night .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 29 Jan 2021, 3:24 pm

That’s pretty wild John but I like it. It’s interesting to hear about all the little things people do to their kit to make it all work better in the field
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 30 Jan 2021, 8:42 am

The gun is even wilder in appearance . It's heavy at 14 lbs with scope but it feels like shooting a 222 in full power 243 loads and the weight really anchors it against recoil movement . Also has a barrel in 30-06 . I added a side carry handle . My hard hunting days are pretty much over but I've done a lot of it in the past 50 odd years . I can still lay up over baits or whistle foxes and spotlight no problems but the back is not so good now and my legs go after about 3 or 4 kls , carrying heavy packs in the Army ruined my back . and my balance goes bad so climbing hills and mountains is really out . I have mainly been a pest shooter and experimenter not so much a deer stalker as they were not about that much in my day . Shot a few while pest shooting but that's it . My favorite type of hunting is spotlighting foxes .
I built this chassis to do some longer range shooting like upto about 500 meters from the prone position to nail very cagy wild dogs but have not had any opportunity ( one fox ) since my wife has been not very well and I need to be home and bloody covid19 not helping things either . One of the ways I would set up is pitch a small camo tent with a fly over the front to keep rain off the gun . Then lay on a camping mattress and sleeping bag with food and water in the tent also . It keeps ticks , leaches and snake away from you and mozzies to some degree and if it pisses down rain all night I just bring the gun fully into the tent and zip up the flaps and go to sleep . I don't have the camo tent anymore it fell to pieces but I still have the nylon fly and another similar tent in green which works ok . Got a lot of pigs and a few dogs and foxes that way . Seen a few deer walk past but never shot them as it would scare away the target species .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jan 2021, 1:33 pm

Good info John. I keep food drinks and mattress /bedding / pillow in a custom rack on the back of my quadbike behind the dog cage. , if I’m trying to do an all nighter with my thermal gear I will often lay down for a 20/3o min power nap in an attempt to recharge my batteries .. but I must set an alarm otherwise I’m likely to wake up after dawn. If I’m really tired I will often sware at my alarm , have a quick Bino scan and then go straight back to sleep
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 31 Jan 2021, 7:17 am

A quad would be a big help getting into places and carrying more gear . I used a bike for many years but it has carrying limitations , had a dog platform on the back and a gun rack across the handlebars but there was no way I could carry my heavy varmint gun on the bike .
I never had the money to buy a new quad and the secondhand ones I looked at were well abused and by the time I could afford one I was too old to take full advantage . For many years I just set up where I could drive the 4x4 within a few hundred meters of my layup position and overlooking the bait at 150 - 200 meters away and using a Pulsar NV 550 IR sight which I still have and it still works ok .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey