BEANS MEANS HEINZ

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

BEANS MEANS HEINZ

Post by Blr243 » 19 Nov 2020, 11:36 am

Having a nap in the heat waiting for dark so I can go for a hunt , and my dog starts growling so I jump up with a fright but It’s ok the manager Just dropped in to say gday. He’s always very busy so I hammered him with questions thick and fast Turns out there’s quite a big boar coming onto the stubble in one spot so I really gotta get onto that. And from the way he’s talking there’s not enough natural food in the scrub at the moment so they are visiting the stubble for left over grain ...and tomorrow morning he’s taking me for a drive to a new property for me To hunt on I think it might be about 5 k away. It s mixed grazing cropping and backs onto A top set of bean paddocks so I’m super keen to check it out. I also asked him what he’s planting next in the northern paddocks he said chick peas and fava beans. This was better than music to my ears. If the beans get up I’m going to be in pig heaven ...there’s about a ten kilometre strip of bush running east west and his northern paddocks with beans and peas stack up against this strip of bush
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: BEANS MEANS HEINZ

Post by Blr243 » 19 Nov 2020, 11:46 am

Beans laying on the ground after harvest last at least 18 months and keep pigs coming back into the open country because of the high protein content This strip of bush running east west has Neighbors farming country All along the northern boundary. I just asked him what’s been planted there and he said beans the whole bloody way. So with ripe beans already there and more being planted soon to the south , the bush strip in between ( which has water too ) is going to be an ideal hunting area for a good while. So here’s hoping for a good start tonight if the pigs are venturing out on to the open farmland where I can see them with the thermal gear. I really don’t want to be stuffing round with my thermal drone if I don’t have too ....a bit too excited now I might have to have a beer to help relax me. I need to sleep Now in case I get busy tonight
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Skinna » 19 Nov 2020, 11:53 am

Baked beans are good for the heart,
Baked beans make you fart,
The more you fart, the more you feel,
Baked beans for every meal...!! :clap:

Oink Oink...!!
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 19 Nov 2020, 1:20 pm

The beer didn’t work
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Nov 2020, 5:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:The beer didn’t work

Count pigs running through the fence, start at 100 and count down. Breathe, 4 seconds in, 4 seconds out. It'll do wonders :p
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 19 Nov 2020, 5:44 pm

Running thru the fence towards me will excite me Running thru the fence away from me into the neighbours will upset me ... but I spose it’s still better than counting sheep. I just looked at the sunset time 740 pm I think it was so dark at 8 Still a while yet twirling my thumbs. The quad bike is loaded with fuel,a couple of rifles, ammo accessories , water , no food because I’m already too fat , ....I can see myself wearing only boots and shorts tonight. It’s warm as toast .....I’m looking to get some pigs on the ground early during this trip because I know it brings in the foxes and hopefully a Wild dog out Into the open
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Nov 2020, 6:04 pm

38 degrees predicted for the next coupl of days and 41 on monday. so as long as i can find a frequently used watering point some sit and wait may be quite successfull. probably end up having a dip myself if the waterhole is not too disgusting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Nov 2020, 7:01 pm

Blr243 wrote:38 degrees predicted for the next coupl of days and 41 on monday. so as long as i can find a frequently used watering point some sit and wait may be quite successfull. probably end up having a dip myself if the waterhole is not too disgusting

Make sure you don't starve. Be safe. Maybe enjoy some bush bacon.
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Nov 2020, 7:47 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We'll have to call you "Shrek" instead of BLR.

Stripped off in the noon day heat,, laying back in the water hole,, after 1/2 doz cans of beans and beer.
Farting and blowing bubbles. :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Nov 2020, 10:30 pm

Despite my optimism, it’s now 1130 pm and have only seen a fox long way off , a few Roos , half doz field mice so I’ll give it a couple hours break. Head out again and see what happens
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Nov 2020, 8:43 am

I did another paddock run at 3am but saw only hares and field mice So for the moment, soonish I’ll So probably drive over to the new place , and then give some thought To walking the creek in the heat of the day
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 10:19 am

Blr243 wrote:I did another paddock run at 3am but saw only hares and field mice So for the moment, soonish I’ll So probably drive over to the new place , and then give some thought To walking the creek in the heat of the day

That's unfortunate. Maybe they're social distancing?
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Nov 2020, 12:41 pm

I did tell you the pigs seem to have done a vanishing trick as far as vast numbers are concerned.
I don't know how, why, or where they all are recently.

:unknown: :unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Nov 2020, 3:19 pm

Bloody chopper shooters might have something to do with it. If easy pigs on the stubble are not served up on a platter , then it’s time to stop doing miles on the quad, Time to start useing my brain to find them , get into the bush On foot with the wind in my face so Deisel can find them for me, Try the drone, find out where they are watering. The latter could take some time. There’s a lot of water in the creek and it’s a bloody long creek.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 20 Nov 2020, 3:24 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 4:41 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Govt will def be on the pigs now...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-18/ ... s/12876716

We know the solution. Pew pew pew.
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 20 Nov 2020, 9:23 pm

Just spent another couple of hours on the quad , did a bit of walking , Only saw Roos and hares. walked into a barbed wire fence with so much momentum that I had to pull the spikes out of my thighs, tons of mozzies in the marsh country. They were so big I saw about ten of them grab a horse and fly away with it. They made me very welcolm. I think they really liked me ..I’m starting to make some more effort to cross the river but it’s too full deep and muddy. I wish I had bought my kayak. Maybe four quad bike tyres and a sheet of tin To form a raft might do the trick ...about to cook up some fish fingers, bananas and maybe a pre mix bundy ,,,,,,kick back for a bit. Then go for another hunt....Deisel is growling at something in the dark. There’s been no Roos in the house paddock for twelve months. It could be The lights from a header down the road , or maybe that semi tame feral cat is back. One of the previous employees here told me not to shoot it because it was sort of approaching a pet. He don’t work here anymore. Hopefully I won’t see it and then I need not worry about what to do about it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 20 Nov 2020, 9:31 pm

You sir, are having a great time and I for one am mighty jealous.
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Nov 2020, 10:51 pm

Blr243 wrote: , or maybe that semi tame feral cat is back. One of the previous employees here told me not to shoot it because it was sort of approaching a pet. He don’t work here anymore. Hopefully I won’t see it and then I need not worry about what to do about it

:lol: You Sir,,, HESITATE. :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Nov 2020, 11:46 pm

Bang whizz, I’m surprised and amused that anyone could be jealous of me when I’m haveing no success so I had a bit of a giggle ...then I realised that U are correct...just being in the bush trying is still heaps better than Jumping in a car at 7 am and heading off to work every morning amongst hundreds of cars and concrete jungle ......and DJ I struggle to interpret your post but maybe I think u might want want me to v max that cat
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Nov 2020, 4:15 am

Blr243 wrote:Bang whizz, I’m surprised and amused that anyone could be jealous of me when I’m haveing no success so I had a bit of a giggle ...then I realised that U are correct...just being in the bush trying is still heaps better than Jumping in a car at 7 am and heading off to work every morning amongst hundreds of cars and concrete jungle ......and DJ I struggle to interpret your post but maybe I think u might want want me to v max that cat

Exactly, like recreational fishing, you don't have to catch anything to enjoy yourself, it's just great when you do.
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 21 Nov 2020, 6:49 am

I ended up going out again lst night and I found a Foot bridge to cross the river ...but over the other side I found wheat stubble not bean stubble ....slightly earlier A fox ran across the track in front of me As I was putting along on the quad but he was swallowed Up by the safety Of the lignum within seconds...got back to the house at 3 am.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Nov 2020, 9:28 am

Blr243 wrote: ......and DJ I struggle to interpret your post but maybe I think u might want want me to v max that cat

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Nov 2020, 2:44 pm

The cat has not showed himself , maybe he’s a closet member of enough gun , has read my posts , and prefers now to stay away. I remember a time when I used to hand feed him. After waiting all day in the heat yesterday I loaded my quad and readied myself for some hunting , but as I did so I noticed a firm wind was blowing, the type that you get before some rain...but I was so focused on getting out in the paddocks I paid little attention to it. I rode towards some very thick scrub, the last approach somewhat nervously as the track was very overgrown and I knew there was potential to get bogged and I did not want an all night orgy with ten thousand ravenous mosquitoes....Deisel lays beside me as I type and he has farted in the tent again ,, while riding along the thick overgrown track my quad was pulling to the left for some reason ...maybe I had some jammed foliage. I kept going. I ended up close to where I needed to be to access the remote waterhole I intended staking out. As I stepped of the quad I immediately parted the vegetation with my hands I inspected the soil and to my disappointment it was black wet and sticky. The layer of vegetation I was pushing over as I rode was acting like a support mat to stop me sinking. I felt I had enough experience with this particular type of black soil that I could leave my quad there and it would be ok. I walked west along the track and noticed spits of rain and ominous dark clouds. I arrived at the patch of bush I needed to penetrate but the many months of rainfall meant that now it was ridiculously thick. And six feet tall. I imagined that Any pigs pushing thru it would be guided only by smell as there was no possibility of penetrating light even at midday ...I didn’t last long with the effort required to get thru it and the impending rain bothering me as well. I said stuff this and turned the dog around and headed straight back to the quad ....I managed a u turn in the super thick veg without getting bogged and aimed my machine for home. Please don’t stop. The rain started getting heavier. I eventually made it out of the overgrown track and onto the mud track , rain getting worse. This was my biggest worry, Steering was a little bit Suss, but my tyres seemed not to accumulate enough mud to hinder travel. All seemed ok despite me riding straight into the rain and wind. I noticed headlights at the t junction Ahead had stopped. I guess it was someone Wanting to Suss me out to see if I was poaching ... I stopped for a quick chat ..I did not know him but he seemed to know about me so all was good. At this point I had reached the gravel road so felt better about not getting bogged for the remainder of the ride home. All of my equipment , eyes ears bike and body Boots and gaiters was very dirty when I finally pulled into my garage. My new Remington 7600 was definitely looking like a pig hunters gun. I took a can of bundy and coke from the fridge and accepted the fact that there wood be no more hunting tonight. So now I wait a few more hours for another opportunity and I think I’ll be checking the bom radar first
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Nov 2020, 4:52 pm

100_1906.JPG
100_1906.JPG (156.56 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
Still no oinkers I take it..
I went out last night as well, but only saw 2 roos.

I used to have a Rem 7600 in .308
When I bought it I was told it was the last one in Australia with the factory finish camo coating.
I think I put about 80 to 100 rounds through it and then sold it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Nov 2020, 5:56 pm

No sightings yet. There’s a paddock that normally has cattle along the river. In tough times the owner delivers some sort of feed/ hay for the cattle but the pigs are always in there eating that feed So far no sign of cattle he must have moved them. He does that sometimes ..I’ll walk that paddock relatively close to the river tonight I’ll set up my ph and Bluetooth speaker as well to try calling the pigs. Previously I have only ever done that when I know the pigs are real close but am not doin well so prepared to try anything really
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Nov 2020, 10:16 pm

I should have called this topic beans means nuthin .......took a long walk across a s**ty paddock this arv to get to the edge of the river, Called for a bit. And then walked back to the quad. Drove to a y junction in the river, called for a bit. Saw some sort of tiny possum. It was pretty cool ...then drove the wheat stubble paddocks , scanning. Seeing nothin but hares. Half way though this arv s effort I was getting jack of it all and contemplating packing up and goin home but I’ll try to stay on for a bit. Even though my chances are slim it’s still better than sitting in my bedroom in the city
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Nov 2020, 10:20 pm

Is this what you saw?
Attachments
images (9).jpeg
images (9).jpeg (33.13 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Blr243 » 22 Nov 2020, 11:32 pm

I think it might have been. I saw no colours Just a thermal image. Size was about right
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Nov 2020, 6:01 am

Okay, might have been a sugar glider.
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey