Lanolin oil for waterproofing

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Lanolin oil for waterproofing

Post by MaverickJacko » 20 Mar 2021, 8:16 pm

G'day all ,

Just wanted to ask if anyone has experience using lanolin oil in either the spray or tub form for water proofing?

I wanted to add some extra water proofing to my 'hydrophobic' jacket but was wondering if the oil eventually goes rotten or rancid?
Do you need to rub it in then heat it or just apply it directly?

I mostly hunt on large sheep stations and thought it could be a better alternative scent-wise than the silicon sprays and chemical sprays.

Thanks in advance!
1990 Ford Maverick
MaverickJacko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Lanolin oil for waterproofing

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2021, 8:25 pm

I do know id doesn't go rancid.

This hydroponic jacket... is it an oil skin like a drizabone? Because you can get special oil for those.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MaverickJacko » 20 Mar 2021, 9:16 pm

on_one_wheel - No it's not an oilskin. Good to hear it doesn't go rancid.

It's just a Ridgeline soft feel spray jacket and I think Hydrophobic is a fancy word for water resistant as opposed to waterproof.
1990 Ford Maverick
MaverickJacko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 21 Mar 2021, 1:45 am

MaverickJacko wrote:on_one_wheel - No it's not an oilskin. Good to hear it doesn't go rancid.

It's just a Ridgeline soft feel spray jacket and I think Hydrophobic is a fancy word for water resistant as opposed to waterproof.

its probably scotch guarded with wonderful PTFE cancer causing, birth defect creating chemicals.

I stay away from "fabrics" and "textiles" that are waterproof, for the same reason I dont use non stick cookware.

oilskin is great, also some brands of lanolin pray use additives that hold water so just for future reference incase using it on guns etc.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 21 Mar 2021, 12:55 pm

Scothguard is made from PFBS is not toxic and does not accumulate, Not PTFE..
IT Use to be made with a fluorocarbon called PFOS. It’s among one of the most persistent synthetic chemicals on the planet. Constant exposure to these chemicals can create a build up in our bodies, which can lead to some pretty scary health defects including weakened immunity, hormonal imbalances, reduced fertility and an increased risk of cancer. That was removed in the 80s
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Mar 2021, 3:40 pm

I read that some laundry detergents contain chemicals that refract spectrums of light that make us more visible to animals.
Ive read that it's recommended that hunting clothing be washed in fresh water to avoid this effect.

I wonder if waterproofing compounds have the same effect?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 21 Mar 2021, 3:50 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I read that some laundry detergents contain chemicals that refract spectrums of light that make us more visible to animals.
Ive read that it's recommended that hunting clothing be washed in fresh water to avoid this effect.

I wonder if waterproofing compounds have the same effect?

I read similar, something to do with increased UV, I have always just washed my hunting clothes with a bit of vinegar, unless really dirty then hang up, hose off, then wash in water/vinegar
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2021, 7:03 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey