Western Australia Hunting advice.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Western Australia Hunting advice.

Post by Blr243 » 18 May 2021, 4:37 pm

It’s not what you got. ......Eric Clapton sings ....it’s in the way that you use it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 18 May 2021, 11:06 pm

animalpest wrote:Last week I walked past with my hard gun case, a fella asks me "what gun you got?".

Me - A Ruger Scout.

Him - I've got a sniper rifle.

Me - Hahahahaha

sniper rifle? isnt that just a "rifle"??? kids these days.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bah! » 19 May 2021, 7:23 am

Maybe they had a tikka and they're having a joke about the bikie that got railed at the speedway?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 19 May 2021, 8:36 am

ZaineB wrote:sure mate, yet to ever ever ever ever be seen hundreds of lads would back my statement with 0 hesitation, red card shoots are a demonstration of this every year.

what animal is sitting waiting for you to mess with sights and faff around with wind and faff around with range finders and so on? and what kind of hunter puts themselves in hot water territory with rspca and the likes by taking abundantly stupid long range shots on game anyway? try and lic a firearm for taking game at long distance, it will not fly one bit.

couldnt care less who can outshoot who on paper mate. paper means absolutely nothing in the field.

Really? There are ten's of thousands of licenced "hunters" and I mean people with actual game licences that live in Melbourne and each weekend they are out hunting quail, ducks and deer. A lot of them also compete in clubs either F&G and various discplines and not all the targets are stationary or paper.

Still I guess a local lad from Williams will show them how to shoot a fox out of a tojo faster than anybody lol!
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 19 May 2021, 12:20 pm

bah! wrote:Maybe they had a tikka and they're having a joke about the bikie that got railed at the speedway?

maybe, I missed that news report/piece on "how hard is it to shoot 300m" anyone got a link?

as for the bikies, well play stupid games and win stupid prizes, however people like the gunman and whoever orchestrated his using that firearm need stringing up for doing that shifty crap in a public place where children and families and innocent people were present. nothing but cowards.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Blr243 » 19 May 2021, 4:46 pm

I had forgotten about that incident. Did the police manage to catch and charge someone over that shooting?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bah! » 19 May 2021, 10:03 pm

Yes, they bagged an ex-armed forces guy, mid '30s iirc.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 19 May 2021, 10:35 pm

yeah but there was some thing on the tele (only ever on at the olds cos I dont watch TV), where they were doing a big bit on shooting "300m" but I never saw it, google isnt much help either
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by JohnV » 27 May 2021, 9:50 am

They rarely take their competition rifles into the bush mate . You sound like you have little experience .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by ZaineB » 27 May 2021, 2:06 pm

JohnV wrote:They rarely take their competition rifles into the bush mate . You sound like you have little experience .

referring to me? if 30 years experience isnt enough what is?

they bring their competition habits, thats enough.

cheers.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by JohnV » 04 Jul 2021, 9:45 am

So you thing that all competition shooters don't have any hunting guns also ?
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by ZaineB » 04 Jul 2021, 10:49 am

how basic are you all? In rebuttal I reiterate, they bring their competition shooting habits with them, that is enough, watching foxes/cats/pigs run off as they sit there waiting for some magic perfect shot in perfect wind at a perfect range is hilarious, this is far from the minority of them too, that or trying to take a 600m shot at a fox cos they shot a possible last week so they can hit it, next thing like every other time they miss entirely. This is literally the case a good 95% of the time. so have your ideas and feel free to pat yourself on the back if its not you, I will continue to laugh as these blokes don't get invites to come back for next years event lol.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jul 2021, 11:33 am

I purchased a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag mainly for F class optical out to 900 yards at Coolup range.I have made 100gn Sierra game kings that are doing around 3300fps and sometimes when I feel like it I will go walking.I shot a fox in the face off a bipod while it was walking towards me at less than 100 metres and the pelt was not much use.I have head shot about 20 grey roos with it and it decapites them sometimes.I am aware its realy a field rifle not a dedicated target rifle but it does both rather well.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 04 Jul 2021, 12:01 pm

duncan61 wrote:I purchased a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag mainly for F class optical out to 900 yards at Coolup range.I have made 100gn Sierra game kings that are doing around 3300fps and sometimes when I feel like it I will go walking.I shot a fox in the face off a bipod while it was walking towards me at less than 100 metres and the pelt was not much use.I have head shot about 20 grey roos with it and it decapites them sometimes.I am aware its realy a field rifle not a dedicated target rifle but it does both rather well.

I think most modern rifles do well at both, its usually the shooter that lets things down, not knowing how to hunt, understanding animal behavior or not understanding how to judge random distances, not understanding the limitations of their firearm in real world application, not having enough experience with taking game, not understanding how to behave when shooting different types of game in varied circumstances. etc etc etc etc,

all my rifles shoot well under 1moa, which is all that is needed for hunting, target you would want sub 1/4 moa and I have a couple that do that, only one of my rifles is bull barreled and they are a mix of smaller short action stuff and magnums. Modern firearms are made to very good standards (yes there are a couple of s**t manufacturers out there still, cough cough mossberg cough) but I have modern bolt guns in howa, weatherby, remington, ruger and winchester and all shoot superbly.

7mm rem mag only pushing 100 grainer at 3300? is that because you wanted that or is it a case pressure issue? I have 130gn 270 going 3150 at 300m+ sea level. Would have thought a 7mm rem mag would be pushing 100 grain bullets out at closer to 3500fps
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jul 2021, 2:54 pm

Cool response ZaineB.I will share a bit more.When I first bought the 7mm of a fellow tradesman it came with some factory Core-Lokt Remington and Winchester Failsafe both in 175gn.I studied the load data and decided to use 2213sc for 168gn Seirra Matchkings and was very happy with the results at the range.At 100 metres supported they make a single hole that looks like 3 shots not 5.I competed once at Coolilup at 1000 yrds and was scoring 10s till the second last shot that I dropped and scored a 9.The 100 gn rounds are for hunting and I am happy with 3300fps.I am using 2208 as I have a 4kg tub half full and I can load .222 .243 and the 100gns 7mm.The recoil on the 7mm is less than a 308 about the same as 100gn .243 recoil.I tend to start loading closer to the minimum end of the scale and I load my .222 with 22.2 gn and a 50gn PSP for around 42 cents and I am happy with its silly accuracy.Its only doing around 2800fps and I have a fixed 6x scope.The other 5000 roos I have taken were mostly done with this rifle and I used to use the .243 in the afternoon for longer shots in the Gascoyne in May-July as we have cool days where you need a jumper and can go culling and exploring in the afternoon.I came over a hill one time and 3 small bucks were standing in a group and I got all 3 at about 150metres.I am aware the .222 could do the shot but .243 and a 10x scope is more practical in the daylight
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 04 Jul 2021, 5:10 pm

It's great to have a rifle that's good at the range as well as for hunting. Makes life easier.

I guess it just boils down to some people not getting enough experience. Not their fault as I am sure plenty would like to get out more and hunt/shoot.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 04 Jul 2021, 5:15 pm

animalpest wrote:It's great to have a rifle that's good at the range as well as for hunting. Makes life easier.

I guess it just boils down to some people not getting enough experience. Not their fault as I am sure plenty would like to get out more and hunt/shoot.

its definitely about that, lets just say I am personally sick of range jockys ranting about their skills, and then hitting very little to nothing, I've seen guys trying to shoot roos in the head at 600m away on a neighboring property to my mates joint, they were literally acting like they were Chris Kyle or something, what resulted was a wounded boomer left in the creek between the properties that I euthanized. Literally they had bipods attached, prone on their mats, checking the wind and firing on these roos as if that is ok... so yeah maybe that sheds some light on my many frustrations with said people.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jul 2021, 6:55 pm

animalpest wrote:Last week I walked past with my hard gun case, a fella asks me "what gun you got?".

Me - A Ruger Scout.

Me - Hahahahaha

WA = pros and wannabe pros.

Me, I'm just trying to have fun.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 04 Jul 2021, 7:31 pm

mchughcb wrote:

Me - A Ruger Scout.

Me - Hahahahaha

WA = pros and wannabe pros.

Me, I'm just trying to have fun.

Unfortunately very true, not the you having fun part, thats great hahaha
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by animalpest » 04 Jul 2021, 7:33 pm

Jeez ZaneB that's ridiculous. Trying to hit a roos head that range ( if that is what they were trying to do) warrants cruelty charges.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jul 2021, 7:40 pm

Did they specify police sniper or army sniper rifle?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 04 Jul 2021, 8:34 pm

Didn't ask. I was too busy laughing.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jul 2021, 9:00 pm

We'll he was happy and you were happy. That's the main thing.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 04 Jul 2021, 9:32 pm

animalpest wrote:Jeez ZaneB that's ridiculous. Trying to hit a roos head that range ( if that is what they were trying to do) warrants cruelty charges.

Yeah, lets say that's where I am at with these types, this was the day after a red card shoot, and lets say many members of clubs have been found to be doing much of the same down all over the southwest. Can't speak for up north, not the same concentration of property owners/boundaries and the likes, lets say between me and those I work with and those I shoot with and know, we could write a 1000 page book on the sheer number of these weekend cowboy/american sniper wannabe types, it is concerning to say the least.

Many of these people are F-Class and so on competitors, and some have even been on competitive teams, and reserves, always the same level of spruiking before the event, then rarely seen again afterwards thanks to this exact kind of behavior, so sorry to anyone who doesn't think so, but I think paper punchers are better off punching paper.

more than a few occasions of having to put down wounded kangaroos, even on our own place but that was thanks to some army wannabe mate of the neighbors lol.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by ZaineB » 04 Jul 2021, 9:33 pm

mchughcb wrote:Did they specify police sniper or army sniper rifle?

Its always the army sniper rifle, cos the police aren't cool bro
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by animalpest » 04 Jul 2021, 11:01 pm

Yeah, like one guy who spruiked just before he did his roo shooters competency test that he had shot 27 roos the night before out to 250m without a miss. Trouble is it took him a numbers of targets before he passed his test.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jul 2021, 11:08 pm

animalpest wrote:Yeah, like one guy who spruiked just before he did his roo shooters competency test that he had shot 27 roos the night before out to 250m without a miss. Trouble is it took him a numbers of targets before he passed his test.

Its amazing what people think they can achieve when they are high on smack.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jul 2021, 11:21 pm

ZaineB wrote:
animalpest wrote:Jeez ZaneB that's ridiculous. Trying to hit a roos head that range ( if that is what they were trying to do) warrants cruelty charges.

Yeah, lets say that's where I am at with these types, this was the day after a red card shoot, and lets say many members of clubs have been found to be doing much of the same down all over the southwest. Can't speak for up north, not the same concentration of property owners/boundaries and the likes, lets say between me and those I work with and those I shoot with and know, we could write a 1000 page book on the sheer number of these weekend cowboy/american sniper wannabe types, it is concerning to say the least.

Many of these people are F-Class and so on competitors, and some have even been on competitive teams, and reserves, always the same level of spruiking before the event, then rarely seen again afterwards thanks to this exact kind of behavior, so sorry to anyone who doesn't think so, but I think paper punchers are better off punching paper.

more than a few occasions of having to put down wounded kangaroos, even on our own place but that was thanks to some army wannabe mate of the neighbors lol.

Is a cowboy/american sniper types in WA eh? I kinda liked Quigley Down Under.

https://youtu.be/TTXjgOan_KI
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 04 Jul 2021, 11:34 pm

I don't think WA has sole rights to the long range woundem cowboys.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jul 2021, 12:14 am

ZaineB wrote:
animalpest wrote:Most city and club shooters probably have better gear than me!!!

all the gear and no idea?

GOLD,, :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey