Western Australia Hunting advice.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Western Australia Hunting advice.

Post by animalpest » 09 Mar 2023, 6:01 pm

Yeah cool nightowl. There was plenty of them
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Meathunter1 » 20 May 2023, 4:59 pm

Kiwi deerhunter here looking at moving to Perth. Looks like some pigs ans roos on offer there with the right licence/tags. Happy to work I with landowners management. Cull, table meat, beers etc. Night shoot with thermal prolly easiest?
Not sure about regs for importing my current 5 gun battery. Might be easier to buy new when licensed in Oz.
Meathunter1
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Peterwho » 21 May 2023, 10:13 pm

Meathunter1 wrote:Kiwi deerhunter here looking at moving to Perth. Looks like some pigs ans roos on offer there with the right licence/tags. Happy to work I with landowners management. Cull, table meat, beers etc. Night shoot with thermal prolly easiest?
Not sure about regs for importing my current 5 gun battery. Might be easier to buy new when licensed in Oz.

Hi Meathunter

You will have to do lots of research. WA has probably become the most onerous state re firearms regulation. Restriction on calibers, actual or proposed restrictions on number of rifles, proposed mandatory mental health assessments etc and etc. I know a couple of shooters who moved to WA for work and gave up trying to bring any of their rifles into WA.

It’s worth reading the WA part of Australian Gun Laws sub board further down

Good luck

Peter
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2023, 10:31 pm

Meathunter1 wrote:Kiwi deerhunter here looking at moving to Perth. Looks like some pigs ans roos on offer there with the right licence/tags. Happy to work I with landowners management. Cull, table meat, beers etc. Night shoot with thermal prolly easiest?

Getting licenced in WA is not especially difficult if you're happy to shoot at approved ranges, join a club, they support your application, buy a rifle/gun for the job. You must retain club membership and can only use your rifle at approved ranges. If you want more than one rifle you will need to designate different classes of competition for them, though they did used to allow "back-ups" of your primary rifle. The WA government is currently pushing to limit club shooters to ten firearms total, and hunters to five firearms total.

If you want a rifle/gun to be able to hunt, even interstate, you must have a property permission letter to hunt in WA. Gunshops can usually sell you such a letter for a few hundred dollars, but it doesn't actually allow you to ever attend that property - it is purely to get you through the loophole.

Whether you can import your firearms into WA will depend on whether they are legal there, and whether you can provide a "genuine reason" to own each one.

The standard licence is Cat A/B which lets you own and use rimfire rifles, shotguns and centrefire rifles - with some restrictions. Nothing semi-auto, nothing that looks "military", nothing in "large calibres", etc. I think they have a list of specifically prohibited firearms on the website but an email to WA Firearms Branch should get you the information you need.

If you decide not to import your own firearms you can't borrow firearms in WA, you are only licenced to possess and use the specific serial number firearms on your licence, and cannot possess bullets or ammunition for any other chambering you are not licenced to own. The owner of the firearm must co-licence the specific firearm to you if you want to borrow it. To co-licence you need to comply with the same aspects as buying the firearm - property letter, genuine reason, etc.

If you already know large property owners in WA you shouldn't have too many problems. You are more likely to go hunting in the Eastern states than within WA unless you know property owners.
Last edited by bladeracer on 21 May 2023, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peterwho » 21 May 2023, 10:38 pm

Meat eater

It looks like Bladeracer has saved you a bit of research and reading.
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Meathunter1 » 22 May 2023, 8:54 am

Thanks for replies. Good to know. I would probably sell my firearms here and start afresh at a club.
With regard to hunting I wold probably go door knocking properties for roos and pigs and fly out to Victoria for sambar.
Meathunter1
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 22 May 2023, 4:44 pm

Meathunter1 wrote:Thanks for replies. Good to know. I would probably sell my firearms here and start afresh at a club.
With regard to hunting I would probably go door knocking properties for roos and pigs and fly out to Victoria for sambar.

Just be aware of the size of WA, it's ten times the area of all of New Zealand. Door knocking properties can be very time consuming. Perth to Kununurra is over 3000km, if you want to follow the coast it's 3300km. Finding the owner's home or station on such properties can be very difficult. When I worked at Louisa Downs the station is something like fifteen kilometers off the highway, you aren't going to see it as you drive by.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 23 May 2023, 4:53 pm

A deer hunter leaving NZ to go to WA ? May god have mercy upon you .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 23 May 2023, 9:46 pm

JohnV wrote:A deer hunter leaving NZ to go to WA ? May god have mercy upon you .

The pay makes up for it
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 16 Jun 2023, 4:24 pm

Can't argue with that , you have to chase the money while you are young and fit .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Boundry Rider » 18 Jun 2023, 10:08 am

Don't move here to WA if you're a keen hunter, you'll severely regret it.
Within a year from now you'll see this was very good advice.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey