.308 WIN for Buffalo, Camels, Scrub Bulls, Banteng etc?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

.308 WIN for Buffalo, Camels, Scrub Bulls, Banteng etc?

Post by dansivan » 27 May 2021, 11:48 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm wondering what bullet type & grain weight you'd recommend for the .308 WIN to take Buffalo, Camels, Scrub Bulls, Banteng etc? Shots will be limited to within 150m and a ft/lb energy retention of over 2000 ft/lbs. I can reload projectiles or use available factory ammunition, so both recommendations would be welcome.

Thankyou!
Rossi - 22LR/22MAG
Rossi - 44SP/44 MAG
Akkar - 12 GA
Akkar - 12 GA
Verney - 12 GA
Verney - 308 WIN
Tikka - 308 WIN
Tikka - 300 MAG
Mosin - 7.62 RUSS
Enfield - 303 BRIT
Bergara - 223/300 BLK
CZ - 22LR/17 HMR
dansivan
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: .308 WIN for Buffalo, Camels, Scrub Bulls, Banteng etc?

Post by deye243 » 28 May 2021, 12:00 am

A monolithic projectile as fast as you can push it in 165 grain or something like that protected Point from Woodleigh in the same weight
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 28 May 2021, 12:24 am

I would run 180gr quality bonded bullets. I have also had good success with Woodleigh but have used Partitions and Accubonds. Mono bullets should do a good job.

I have shot hundreds of buffalo with a 30/06 mostly using the old Speer Grand Slams which held 80% of their weight even after going through bones or the skull.

For camels we have run Core Lokt but they are not my first choice even though they do a good job. Great on donkeys and horses too.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 28 May 2021, 1:39 am

Id go further and say that even a 300RUM and 300Norma can fail to drop a camel, especially adrenalized, if youre talking hunting then a headshot or decent neck shot would put it down, maybe in the boiler room with a monolithic round to the lungs/heart, but I wouldnt bank on it for culling, depending again on terrain, if you can run them down on relatively flat ground etc and get a close standing shot then fine, but if trying to put running animals down in scrub or over rough terrain, rethink the caliber/cartridge altogether. go 45cal of some sort.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigrich » 28 May 2021, 4:56 am

For the 308 Nosler accubonds seem to be a solid bullet for large game

If I had the choice of caliber, I think 9.3x62 would be a very good round for the job as this is the type of work it was designed for
In a rifle of good weight and stock design the recoil would be easily managed

JMHO :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 28 May 2021, 8:09 am

Well if your thinking about Banteng then your most likely paying big Dollars so why not take a rifle a that minimizes a potential run off ?

A 308 isnt a gun I would recommend for either Buff, Banteng or Scrub bull. 338WM, 9.3x62/373H&H at a minimum even with your 150m hypothetical...

Easy to cull Donkeys & Camels with a flat shooting 30 cal, even a 6.5 cal is up to the job. Camels and Banteng on the same hunt ??
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 28 May 2021, 10:08 am

as bigrich and bill have stated, the 308 isnt as "all rounder" as people suggest, medium and small game its great, but it lacks a lot of hitting power (hyrdostatic shock) and penetration on larger game, especially if that animal is already pissed or scared and running, more so a problem for you if its pissed and running at you, Ive used 30-06 and 300win on scrub bulls and even then have had some close calls, one time in some cane grass was not so much fun after a 30-06 had failed its mission, and they hit harder than any 308 round, so yeah.

like I said before and in agreeance with the two above, If you are looking at stalking in and getting a headshot the 308 will do perfectly fine, but if you are culling or taking boiler shots get a bigger gun.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by bigpete » 28 May 2021, 1:59 pm

Woodliegh,preferably use a bigger gun
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 28 May 2021, 3:16 pm

Buff and scrub bulls the .308 is fine as ZaineB has said, if they are shot when not spooked. If they are charging you, the bigger the better!

But the OP's post is about "what bullet type & grain weight you'd recommend for the .308 WIN to take Buffalo, Camels, Scrub Bulls, Banteng".
So on that note, I recommend heavy bonded bullets of at least 165gr for camels and 180gr for the rest in the .308 WIN.

Most aerial shooting with .308 is generally done with Winchester 150gr PP on everything except buffalo. Buffalo are shot with 180-190gr.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 28 May 2021, 5:58 pm

The other side of the coin prompts me to ask the question,,,, Why are you concentrating on .308 ?

Don't get me wrong,,, I love the venerable old .308,,,,,,,, but ,,,,,
Is it because that's the biggest or nearest caliber you've got to do the job, or some other yet to be mentioned reason/s

A .375 H+H Magnum would cater for most all,, of that which you mention with ease, and some to spare for safety.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 28 May 2021, 7:32 pm

The 308s that come to mind are the 300 RUM, 300 Norma or a 300/378 Weatherby Magnum.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 28 May 2021, 7:48 pm

A scrub bull is the biggest animal I have shot but it was with a bow. Next biggest i have shot is probably donkeys With rifles. I’m not really in a position to offer advice on buffalo but , I would not cHoose a 308 to do it ...a hefty boar is 100 kg. A hefty buffalo is 500 kg plus ......not every shot Opportunity is going to be 50 m away broadside at a relaxed animal ....if a buffalo is looking Directly at you and you try for a brain shot Bullet may bounce off
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey