Minimum caliber for Wild donkey shooting in WA?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Minimum caliber for Wild donkey shooting in WA?

Post by Skinna » 17 Oct 2020, 7:46 am

Ive never shot one...a donkey i mean...well, not in this context anyway... 8-)

If you get the shot in the right spot ive no doubt they'll die, but some may get the gallops before tipping over...

Just be sure you hit the vitals, dont let hesitation get in the way of you & the trigger/if it does dont take the shot, & dont take the shots youre not sure of...simple...
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 17 Oct 2020, 9:09 am

Donk back straps are nice. When in Broome. I preferred. Them to beef. ...and on the hunt we cut them into strips and air dried them .. some of the intermittent waterholes on dry sandy creeks held Barra ...I still Have dreams about Barra swimming in. Crystal clear water as they chased my lure in the gorge Country ..swimming with. Freshies , finding. Aboriginal paintings n spots so remote u felt like you were the first white bloke to see them
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 17 Oct 2020, 9:36 am

I only ever used a 25-06 with 75gr BT. Head shots or neck shots with a 100gr SP from the 243 Win is more than enough. If you must chest shoot it will kill them for sure, just a question of how far they are going to run but if its during the day you should find them.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 17 Oct 2020, 2:37 pm

We have culled donkeys with a .243 and 80gn.If you are going to get your first centrefire a .243 is very versatile 55gn for rabbits to 100gn for bigger stuff.I would not use my .222 for donkeys.The 7mm Rem Mag is a bit of overkill
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 17 Oct 2020, 3:44 pm

Well, given I wrote the WA government requirements back in the early '90s, I can tell you with some authority it is a .308
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 17 Oct 2020, 4:32 pm

Given the size of a donkey I’d have thought .308 too.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 17 Oct 2020, 4:50 pm

The WA Code of Practice that is relevant here stipulates a minimum of a .308.

Whilst you could use less, you will not be covered for cruelty under the Animal Welfare Act unless you comply with that Code and use a .308.

So your call...
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bill » 17 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm

Shot placement is the key to get em to drop, Ive used a 6.5 swede and a 260 rem with 140gr and 155gr projectiles out to 300m.

Also used a 300wsm and a 9.3x62 but a little bit over kill as the extra energy is wasted I reckon. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 17 Oct 2020, 5:24 pm

animalpest wrote:The WA Code of Practice that is relevant here stipulates a minimum of a .308.

Whilst you could use less, you will not be covered for cruelty under the Animal Welfare Act unless you comply with that Code and use a .308.

So your call...

I hear you. I upgraded from a 25-06 to a 300 Weatherby Magnum and even then it was marginal. Next time I'll be using my 416 Rem Mag. I don't wont to be tracking them on my hands and knees.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 17 Oct 2020, 7:34 pm

Mchughcb - haha the 25/06 with stout bullets is a good choice and there are plenty of much lighter calibres that will do the job on headshots.

My issue is just covering my ar*se if there are issues or complaints about anything not killed humanely. In the case of donkeys in WA, complying with the Code covers you about minimum calibres.

You can use a lesser calibre but if there is a complaint, you are toast.

I have shot thousands of them
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Oct 2020, 8:49 pm

animalpest wrote:Well, given I wrote the WA government requirements back in the early '90s, I can tell you with some authority it is a .308

Does it specify bullet weight, velocity or terminal energy?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Oct 2020, 12:48 am

G'day bladeracer,
In relation to animalpests post the WA Dept of Ag states 170g for horses & donkeys. It used to be 150g in the late '70's, as a recommendation, but as animalpest said if you follow the CoP you cover your arse in terms of complaints.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 18 Oct 2020, 12:55 pm

The question has been answered and If I do it again I will use the 7mm Rem Mag and 175gn Corelokt or 175 gn Winnie failsafes.The .243 did a good job but we were doing it at night and the ranges were under 80 metres.Good to learn something new Thanks animalpest.The ones we were shooting had a big cross on their backs are there different species of donkey or are they all the same.We were just south of Paraburdoo on the Ashburton river at a station called Illawarra
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 18 Oct 2020, 1:05 pm

That is one area where donkeys still exist in reasonable numbers.

Of course, head shooting a .222 will do the job. But given you tend to shoot a mob, a .308 is better.

Donkeys are not tough, but will absorb bullets that don't have enough to get to the vitals on angling shots etc.

Body, ie heart/lung shots are not good for the likes of .243 type calibres as most of the bullets are not suitable. You will get failures.

My view is that you hit them right and the second shot is just insurance.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Troyus » 02 Nov 2020, 12:40 am

So update
100g SBT - A shot between the eyes drops them on the spot. Just puts the lights out.

Chest shots are no way near as effective. Maybe if you manage to place the shot behind the front elbow but I found that was an unrealistic target. If they are still enough for that then then are still enough for a HS which is a larger target.
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 02 Nov 2020, 10:58 am

They have a big boof head on them.The ones we shot were standing still under spotlight.Bit of a bonus when culling roos the factory took the legs which gets the weight up.Its like getting 4 big bucks in one shot
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 02 Nov 2020, 11:20 am

my old man knocked more than 150 over in one trip with a 22 hornet.

anything will kill them with a headshot, they aren't thick skinned or thick skulled. but like all horse like animals their brain is between the eye and rear bottom of jaw.

I have never heard of a minimum calibre for any feral pest in WA, however there are animal welfare laws and if you're caught killing an animal inefficiently or leaving them to suffer there are huge penalties, as for those that think 30cal is be all and end all (308 fanbois), I and my family members have come across more than dozens of camels and donkeys with 308 holes in them shot by "professionals" (honestly no personal disrespect if anyone on here is in that boys club, but I loathe the so called 'professionals', know it all's and usually a s**t shot.) that are wandering around days and even weeks after the cull has taken place.

I use a 270, but if my 223 wasn't a varmint barrel I would feel more than confident to use that also, given I often end up on foot through scrub, but yeah 270 is more than suited to the job, I would say confidently anything 223 and upwards depending on whether you can hit what you're aiming at, and know where to aim.

Also don't be surprised if you have to take moving shots... so if you're new to high powered rifles get some practice in before hand.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 02 Nov 2020, 11:22 am

animalpest wrote:That is one area where donkeys still exist in reasonable numbers.

Of course, head shooting a .222 will do the job. But given you tend to shoot a mob, a .308 is better.

Donkeys are not tough, but will absorb bullets that don't have enough to get to the vitals on angling shots etc.

Body, ie heart/lung shots are not good for the likes of .243 type calibres as most of the bullets are not suitable. You will get failures.

My view is that you hit them right and the second shot is just insurance.

they are tough, I had one drag its own lungs and liver and some other essential parts more than 650m before it stopped running. even then it just stood there.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Nov 2020, 11:26 am

Can they be eaten or pet food or best as fertiliser ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Ziege » 02 Nov 2020, 11:50 am

Tas most of the places where theyre shot in wa sees very little rain, one place I go there are carcasses on the ground from 2 years ago, barely broken down. thats purely cos there is no moisture to aid in breaking them down, so nah on the fert side of things, and yeah there are edible ones, and yes im sure if you could get chillers in there then maybe, just maybe pet food would be profitable, but in a lot of these places its not accessible for such trucks/chillers etc.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 02 Nov 2020, 3:52 pm

We used to take the back straps. I liked eating donk in Broome
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey