Victorian Duck Season 2021

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Victorian Duck Season 2021

Post by mchughcb » 02 Jun 2021, 5:04 pm

So who's hitting the ducks this weekend and getting their 5 duck per day bag limit?
Attachments
Quackers.jpg
Quackers.jpg (560.13 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: Victorian Duck Season 2021

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Jun 2021, 5:35 pm

I would if LRD had sent me a shotgun PTA that was applied for instead of the copy of a handgun PTA that I had already used. Pack of grossly incompetent bastards. Add another 7 days Purgatory to that and I'll be lucky to throw the cat at a budgie let alone shot at a duck! All the best to those who do get a chance and please ignore the slime-greens as best as you can, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 02 Jun 2021, 7:15 pm

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the wait won't be too long.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 02 Jun 2021, 8:25 pm

Today the missus cooked up the wood ducks in a nice korma half duck, half chicken curry. Man that breast meat was soft as the chicken.

Great stuff. Looking forward to hunting the rest of the season.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jun 2021, 4:58 am

I always found them tough, dark and gamey. Perhaps its all in the preparation. Or species.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 03 Jun 2021, 8:21 pm

So nobody on the ducks, how's the quail season been going. I've seen a few but not many.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 04 Jun 2021, 12:19 am

Sorry to hear that NoMk3...i had a similar thing with a pta revcently, but it wasnt as pressing as yours...
hopefully you get out soon.

Id like a recipe for the woodies Mchugh...ive given up on them & just give them to the woof--he doesnt mind a good crunch on the chest of them.
But gees, they look like blackies to me...err hang on...??
Admittedly i cant really make out the face of them on this PC, but i do know a woody when i see one lifting off the edge of a dam...hehe...especially here in this state...
The beak looks a bit big for a woody too...& the Front one almost looks teal with it not having a dark male woody head or stripe of a girl woody or blacky stripe either...
And can you believe i have a AA on my WIT card too...must have got that back when my eyes still kinda worked...LOL...
Ah well...wish i could zoom in more...Hell maybe CZ the hunting & shooting guru can chime in & let loose about how stupid i am because i'd have called them out as Teal...LOL...

Mate i think you might have to post a better quality image of them for a fairer test for my weiry eyes...lol...

But im calling you a funny bugger * im going for teal as i (barely) see it...better eating than a woody according to me...but not as filling according to the woof.. :lol:
:drinks: .
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Skinna » 04 Jun 2021, 12:23 am

Nice little feed there for you & the missus anyway...Nice roast teal...making myself hungry & i need to go to bed.
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jun 2021, 7:27 am

I would like to weigh in.Teal are the most tender but small.Wood ducks are very similar and double the meat.Black ducks are heavier again but the meat is very dark.In the West we have no duck season as such and the dairy farm I lived on had ducks a plenty.The farmers wife was anti shooting but the farmer hated ducks as they fly in the sullage dam then the freshwater dam and all the cow poop falls off and around they go.The milking shed was a fair way from the house so at the back or around the dams I could hose a few after milking and it was not a proplem.I will get some stick for this as my favorite technique was to crawl up the bund and try and get 2 or more while they were on the water.I just filleted the breast meat out and pan fried with gravy and onions.Nice breakfast after milking and crunching down on a number 4 hardened lead shot is not fun.The farmer put grain out on a conveyer belt for the calves and the ducks would go hard at it.Again I would sight up and try to get more than one as they waddled about.The calves do not even flinch.I took my fair share out the sky as well and at one point wished for a novelty shot gun so I went to Bunbury to see what they had and the salesman grinned and said check this and as he came out the store room this barrel kept coming and coming.It was a Marlin 55 36 inch bolt action goose gun.The farmers dad came over once and seen it and said "if you miss do you just bat them out the sky"Had a lot of fun with that bad boy and 3 inch magnums with copper plated 4 shot.The magazine held 2 so I could get 3 shots off while they were all circling.An hour later I could do it again especially if it was raining.I am so glad I did all this when I could as I do not do any of this stuff anymore.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jun 2021, 8:19 am

Skinna wrote:Nice little feed there for you & the missus anyway...Nice roast teal...making myself hungry & i need to go to bed.

That was not the opening day photo for this year. Here is photo you are after, with myself and friends bagging out.
Attachments
2021_Duck_Opening (2).jpg
2021_Duck_Opening (2).jpg (615.43 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jun 2021, 8:27 am

Skinna wrote:Sorry to hear that NoMk3...i had a similar thing with a pta revcently, but it wasnt as pressing as yours...
hopefully you get out soon.

Id like a recipe for the woodies Mchugh...ive given up on them & just give them to the woof--he doesnt mind a good crunch on the chest of them.
But gees, they look like blackies to me...err hang on...??
Admittedly i cant really make out the face of them on this PC, but i do know a woody when i see one lifting off the edge of a dam...hehe...especially here in this state...
The beak looks a bit big for a woody too...& the Front one almost looks teal with it not having a dark male woody head or stripe of a girl woody or blacky stripe either...
And can you believe i have a AA on my WIT card too...must have got that back when my eyes still kinda worked...LOL...
Ah well...wish i could zoom in more...Hell maybe CZ the hunting & shooting guru can chime in & let loose about how stupid i am because i'd have called them out as Teal...LOL...

Mate i think you might have to post a better quality image of them for a fairer test for my weiry eyes...lol...

But im calling you a funny bugger * im going for teal as i (barely) see it...better eating than a woody according to me...but not as filling according to the woof.. :lol:
:drinks: .

Here is woodie, teal and blackie on the same day.

https://youtu.be/-w4FtV_EHwg
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Larry » 05 Jun 2021, 12:41 pm

@mchughcb I see you have a lot of wood ducks. How do you find them for eating? I have only ever had wood ducks on my property but have never really found them very good for eating. Just not enough meat and pretty tough.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by mchughcb » 05 Jun 2021, 1:41 pm

Best duck breast meat, but in reality they are a goose. My missus slow cooked them in a curry and I can't tell which is the chicken and which is the duck.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 05 Jun 2021, 3:11 pm

I think they are called main geese as well
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 Jun 2021, 3:52 pm

Or maybe maned geese
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 06 Jun 2021, 5:38 pm

So who hit the ducks this weekend?
Time is running out.
Only got to the 14th of June to fill them freezers.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 06 Jun 2021, 5:41 pm

mchughcb wrote:
Skinna wrote:Nice little feed there for you & the missus anyway...Nice roast teal...making myself hungry & i need to go to bed.

That was not the opening day photo for this year. Here is photo you are after, with myself and friends bagging out.

Ah ok... :thumbsup:
Sorry, i mis interpreted your prior post & assumed you meant they were woodies in the first pic--but i liked that assumption to see if any of the know-all trolls here picked up on it....caught by omission maybe :lol:

Larry wrote:@mchughcb I see you have a lot of wood ducks. How do you find them for eating? I have only ever had wood ducks on my property but have never really found them very good for eating. Just not enough meat and pretty tough.

Agreed with them not being good eating, but when you say not enough meat..(?)...they are a waterfowl, not a hare...what are you comparing them to when you say not enough meat..?
And the 10 Woodies in the foreground of that pic is good amount of meat in my book--you must have the appetite of a big vacuum truck. :unknown:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 09 Jun 2021, 8:56 pm

Well who's hitting the ducks now the weekend is upon us and the restrictions have been lifted from 5km to 25km? Can't go to the gym so might as well hit ducks.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 11 Jun 2021, 7:20 pm

Looking forward to feeding the ducks some bread for next years season :lol:
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey