Hunting foxes

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Hunting foxes

Post by tom604 » 03 Jul 2015, 8:59 pm

i have a button whistle, a shotgun brass whistle and a tentrefield, they all work but all i can get out of the tenterfield is a raspy spitty sound but not a loud sound like the salesman did :oops: the button has worked for me but its not as loud as i would like. :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 03 Jul 2015, 9:23 pm

Have been meaning to get out my grandfather's fox whistle.
My mate got 2 .22's into a fox while we were spotlighting, the bugger left a fair bit of blood on the ground and somehow got away into thick scrub.
I actually got my gun license because I was sick of the ridiculous amounts of foxes around my family farm.
They used to actually run around the paddocks in broad daylight.
Haven't got one yet :x .

Doesn't help that mum has stupid expensive horses everywhere.
Otherwise the .223 would come out and a lot more pests would go splat. :thumbsup:

Went away for a weekend last winter to a state forest a couple of hours away, walked around all day, missed a shot on a rabbit, went to collect firewood with the boys later in the day and a bloody fox trotted across the road and up the hill I had been hunting on. :lol:
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jul 2015, 9:31 pm

FuzzyM wrote:Have been meaning to get out my grandfather's fox whistle.
My mate got 2 .22's into a fox while we were spotlighting, the bugger left a fair bit of blood on the ground and somehow got away into thick scrub.
I actually got my gun license because I was sick of the ridiculous amounts of foxes around my family farm.
They used to actually run around the paddocks in broad daylight.
Haven't got one yet :x .

Doesn't help that mum has stupid expensive horses everywhere.
Otherwise the .223 would come out and a lot more pests would go splat. :thumbsup:

Went away for a weekend last winter to a state forest a couple of hours away, walked around all day, missed a shot on a rabbit, went to collect firewood with the boys later in the day and a bloody fox trotted across the road and up the hill I had been hunting on. :lol:

Haha that's the lowest! Which state forest were you in? I'm planning on doing some camping/shooting in a state forest in the next couple weeks and my goal is to come back and make a mountain man fox hat... all I need is the fox :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2015, 10:00 pm

The last fox I shot with a 22 ran about 200 mtrs before it fell over. A lost 1 a few yrs ago, so got a 223. Have only shot 4 with it so far but all dropped like a rock. Happy with that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm

valkyrie wrote:Was out hunting one night and stopped for a piss break. Mate of mine let rip the biggest loudest fart I had ever heard in my life and when we finally got the light back on about 5 minutes later, I s**t you not there was one sitting about 50m in front of the ute. May have been a coincidence butbut I likelike to think the little bastard just had to see what the hell made that ungodly noise

Or maybe it was the smell that attracted it ??????? :wtf:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2015, 4:23 am

Foxes aren't that hard to hunt once you get to know what's doing with em, I use a few diff things to attract them depending on whether I'm sitting and whistling or spotlighting them. I use a Fox Pro when sitting and whistling (and when spotlighting at times) I have a good collection of diff whistles but mainly use the AHN SS Tenterfield and I also use styrofoam at times.

They all seem to work well, this time of year they are less responsive to those particular techniques and are more interested in finding a mate, generally they tend to be very light sensitive for whatever reason (they generally ignore the light and whistles etc and will often bolt when the light hits them) so if you do get a glimmer of eye shine I'd suggest you take the light off them and get ready to shoot then whack the light back on em and take the shot quickly.

I've had em come stand right next to me when out calling em in, don't discount the area you think they are least likely to come from either, I've had em come running in from the direction the winds blowing to more times than I can count, they can be predictably unpredictable at times!

As for cals I like the 222's, 204's and 22.250's used them all on them with great success but really enjoy the flat shooting 204 for them (hard on skins so not the first choice if you want those) but none the less a great cal for taking long shots on em as is the 250.

When it comes to spotlights I still reckon the Halogens are better in a lot of ways, I've got both HID and Halogen and I find the animals don't like to look at the HID at all very much (they have a quick glance then look away and often they will start to move off or run (I couldn't get a rabbit to sit for love or money the other week) as soon as the light was on them they were off and wouldn't stop until they were down their burrows type thing) Kangaroos tend to hop off or turn their backs and avoid the light, foxes didn't seem real keen to sit for the light either (could be just the time of year on them) but have found the same sort of thing earlier in the season too.

I'm going to try a filter on the HID and see if they makes a diff to them (hope so cos I like the light)
Last edited by bigfellascott on 04 Jul 2015, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by valkyrie » 04 Jul 2015, 4:24 am

God kniws but it was bloody effective
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 7:55 am

So does everyone mainly only use traditional whistles and callers?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 7:55 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 7:56 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 2:01 pm

Forgot to mention, had an easier oportunity about 30 seconds prior to my missed shot. Didnt get the shot off because my safety was on....... :roll:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 2:02 pm

Forgot to mention, had an easier oportunity about 30 seconds prior to my missed shot. Didnt get the shot off because my safety was on....... :roll:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2015, 2:04 pm

Ah well - better luck next time mate. I never use safeties myself, I just load and shoot as I need too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Ah well - better luck next time mate. I never use safeties myself, I just load and shoot as I need too.

I find that a bit noisy myself.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 04 Jul 2015, 5:17 pm

Just shooting with my Motorola lately. Way better phone camera than my old Samsung. Been calling the locals in to baits.

They think I'm just a nice bloke while I'm practicing calling them in and filming to play with my new editor programme.

They wont be just unpaid extras in a montage soon ;)

Here's my first vid I snipped. Needs opening on full screen on a PC or lappy to see the eye shine off in the distance trotting in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkQuCHLUcHU

Later on it came right in for a closer look and smell of some chicken scraps I had in a burley bomb up wind of it.

IMG_20150702_035356700.jpg
Same fox from video came in for a free feed. Can't resist the chicken scraps burley bomb.
IMG_20150702_035356700.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 7015 times
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Jul 2015, 6:23 pm

I think fox numbers are increasing in NSW,WTF is this they have foxes at North head eating penguins.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/nor ... 7419859105
"She said about 150 people all up had been involved in the operation,with at least 15 volunteers on guard each night"

The NPWS shooter doesn't appear to be doing a very good job
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 6:39 pm

Mmmm, greenies, animal lovers, j howard, antigunners, media and lets not foget the NSW fox lovers that were around up to about a year ago have had a hand in that.

Now all those people willbe blaming the nsw national parks for not doing a good enough job of protecting the penguins.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jul 2015, 9:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Ah well - better luck next time mate. I never use safeties myself, I just load and shoot as I need too.

I'll second that on the noisy issue, from time to time I get a fox right in and realize that I'm not loaded, it's hard to hide the noise of a bolt cycling with a whistle... even the sound of the safety being switched can alarm a fox. My Remington 700 safety is the loudest of the lot, if I switch it carelessly the noise resonates through the stock.

I find for me the most stealth way is to have one in the chamber and the bolt handle up when calling in a fox.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jul 2015, 9:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

I'll second that on the noisy issue, from time to time I get a fox right in and realize that I'm not loaded, it's hard to hide the noise of a bolt cycling with a whistle... even the sound of the safety being switched can alarm a fox. My Remington 700 safety is the loudest of the lot, if I switch it carelessly the noise resonates through the stock.

I find for me the most stealth way is to have one in the chamber and the bolt handle up when calling in a fox.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 9:16 pm

So, when I flicked the safety off the fox bolted. A kiss sound stopped him and I took a rushed shot and missed. :unknown: Ah well, thats life.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Jul 2015, 9:43 pm

Here's a really odd one,,,,,,,
A friend of mine was out after foxes, and was using a Scotch Predator call. (the long black rubber one that looks like it came from a sex shop)

He was apparently set up in a hide of sorts, while he was using it,, and got the shock of his life when a Fallow doe came in. :o :shock:

He said if he hadn't witnessed it himself, he would not have believed it if someone else had reported the same thing.
He said that it seemed really curious as to what the sound was, and where it was coming from.

Unfortunately his rifle of the day was only a .17 HMR. :oops:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2015, 9:58 pm

Squeeky toys are supposed to work too. Just purchased 1 of these $10 on ebay.

mKgIYtVoZLzaTvbPw41dAGA.jpeg
Fox blaster
mKgIYtVoZLzaTvbPw41dAGA.jpeg (8.56 KiB) Viewed 7079 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2015, 10:14 pm

I like the scotch predator caller, called in quite a few now with mine, only thing I suggest is getting a cork for it (doesn't take much to make a noise from it if walking around with it (a cork and a piece of string to attach it to the caller works well) :thumbsup:

I've called in Crows, cats, foxes, rabbits, roos with it so far, not to mention a few other species of birds too. Oh cattle love it too along with the Tenterfield Whistle :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jul 2015, 5:57 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Plastic stock mate?

If I'm sitting and whistling I generally have it loaded and ready to rumble so to speak, if I'm walking around spotlighting I just chamber a round as needed, if I'm spotlighting from the vehicle I generally chamber a round when needed, hope that clarifies how I do it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2015, 9:06 am

I mainly sit and whistle. I think its, see fox safety off, immediately in future.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2015, 9:07 am

I mainly sit and whistle. I think its, see fox safety off, immediately in future.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jul 2015, 11:15 am

bigfellascott wrote:I like the scotch predator caller, called in quite a few now with mine, only thing I suggest is getting a cork for it (doesn't take much to make a noise from it if walking around with it (a cork and a piece of string to attach it to the caller works well) :thumbsup:

I've called in Crows, cats, foxes, rabbits, roos with it so far, not to mention a few other species of birds too. Oh cattle love it too along with the Tenterfield Whistle :lol:

You mean like this Scottie ??????????
I did this to mine years ago,,,, Got sick of it bleating every time I stepped over a log or something.
All I did was cut the swollen end off an orange conduit, plug it with silicone, and one wrap of duct tape.
Was a perfect sliding fit
100_3691.JPG
100_3691.JPG (764.79 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
100_3693.JPG
100_3693.JPG (861.05 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jul 2015, 11:49 am

Yeah that's the one Ed, they go well on the foxes I've found. I found a wine cork fits the hole nicely (they are noisy buggers without a cork in em). :D

How do you find the Scotch Predator Caller on em?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jul 2015, 6:47 pm

LOL The mother of invention is necessity, or someting like that.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jul 2015, 9:03 pm

Yeah Scott, I reckon they are brilliant.
So easy to use, and you can vary the distress sounds so much as well,
The volume can be extremely loud, or really quiet or muffled,, as well as everything in between.

I found that they can really excite most domestic dogs, but they quickly figure it out and then lose interest.
My foxie/Russell was really agitated the first few times she heard it, but now completely ignores it.

The only sound that really gets her going now is the sound of the gun safe being opened.

I did make a mount for my predator call out of a piece of painted 3" exhaust tube just long enough for it to go inside (and be protected)
It has a spike on one end to stick into the ground.
The other end has a short lever that pulls on the rubber end of the caller via braided fishing line back to where I wait with rifle.

On the lever itself I cable tied some crow feathers that act as a visual stimulant.

Works well so that foxes, feral dogs, cats, are intent on the caller, and never see me.

8-)
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control