NSW R License training, via the internet and WA gun license

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

NSW R License training, via the internet and WA gun license

Post by bah! » 07 Jul 2021, 4:43 pm

Hi,
in this internet age etc, if I wanted to get an R license before travelling to NSW, is there a training agency that can offer it remotely? What is it, exactly?

Also, can you still be in possession of a gun in NSW on a WA gun license, on a short stay still, or is that out these days?

TIA
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: NSW R License training, via the internet and WA gun lice

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jul 2021, 5:35 pm

bah! wrote:Hi,
in this internet age etc, if I wanted to get an R license before travelling to NSW, is there a training agency that can offer it remotely? What is it, exactly?

Also, can you still be in possession of a gun in NSW on a WA gun license, on a short stay still, or is that out these days?

TIA

No idea about R-licences.
As long as the firearm is legal in NSW you are fine. This goes for all states except WA. WA is the only state that doesn't recognize other state's registrations.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bah! » 08 Jul 2021, 7:39 pm

Ok cheers for that, will look into the licensing a bit more
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by boingk » 08 Jul 2021, 10:21 pm

Only thing to really watch for is the securing of it - either in your vehicle for said trip or at an appropriate venue (mates place, club) if not engaged in travelling to/from or participating in the trip.

As a resident though... you know what? Just bloody do it. Have a secure lockbox in the car, make it unobtrusive. I find toolboxes plastered with a few tool brand stickers and a beer logo or two work fine. Smear a handprint or two of grease/mud on the thing and you're fine. If you're not in a ute have it in the boot. Lockbox for ammo can be under the seat or also in the boot. I store my lockbox in a cheap Kmart kid's backpack. You know the sort; happy cartoon character covered, bright coloured thing.

You'll pass muster at any border checkpoint, be fine for any RBT, and only be given grief if you say there are firearms in the car or its obvious they are there. Be polite, be a clean and presentable (and forgettable) Mr Joe Citizen. Nothing beats that.

For God's sake don't ask a Police station to store the firearms. They will generally say 'no' and the odd one may try and take them from you for lack of appropriate storage. Any gun shop will generally be more than happy to help.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Jul 2021, 4:45 pm

I don't know about the internet but I know that some Queensland instructors and or ranges can do the NSW R licence as it is open to all Australians in the Federation. Maybe there is a place in WA that is registered to do the same?
Last edited by Communism_Is_Cancer on 10 Jul 2021, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 10 Jul 2021, 4:50 pm

boingk wrote:Only thing to really watch for is the securing of it - either in your vehicle for said trip or at an appropriate venue (mates place, club) if not engaged in travelling to/from or participating in the trip.

As a resident though... you know what? Just bloody do it. Have a secure lockbox in the car, make it unobtrusive. I find toolboxes plastered with a few tool brand stickers and a beer logo or two work fine. Smear a handprint or two of grease/mud on the thing and you're fine. If you're not in a ute have it in the boot. Lockbox for ammo can be under the seat or also in the boot. I store my lockbox in a cheap Kmart kid's backpack. You know the sort; happy cartoon character covered, bright coloured thing.

You'll pass muster at any border checkpoint, be fine for any RBT, and only be given grief if you say there are firearms in the car or its obvious they are there. Be polite, be a clean and presentable (and forgettable) Mr Joe Citizen. Nothing beats that.

For God's sake don't ask a Police station to store the firearms. They will generally say 'no' and the odd one may try and take them from you for lack of appropriate storage. Any gun shop will generally be more than happy to help.

Does one have to disclose the presence of firearms in ones vehicle in NSW? I know in Queensland you don't. What one lawfully has in their vehicle is nobodies concern.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bah! » 10 Jul 2021, 10:03 pm

Yes the whole issue of storage is pretty fraught in this case, going to have to chat with a local shop for sure.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey