Good value hunting clothing

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Good value hunting clothing

Post by Kurnal » 21 Jul 2021, 7:28 am

Can anyone recommend any places to buy good value / mid range hunting clothing.
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Good value hunting clothing

Post by bigpete » 21 Jul 2021, 8:32 am

Flannys and khaki pants from big w
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jul 2021, 9:42 am

Yep, drab coloured bigw tracky dacks and Aussie disposals cammo jacket. Light leather boots or runners. Often red/orange cap or beanie if in State forest
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 21 Jul 2021, 10:50 am

Depending where I am I try and dress accordingly, I wear a suit at weddings.....just kidding.

I go the khaki/light colours most of the time, iv got khaki work pants from big w and Oz camo top from the local disposals which have faded in the wash a little but still look good. In state forest I wear the same pants but have a Ridgefield realtree jacket.

Don't be afraid to buy what you want. Odds are you'll go hunting a few times a year and it will last you forever.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Downunder » 21 Jul 2021, 12:43 pm

By Australian absolutely where I can is my pledge. And if i have to buy anywhere else I avoid China at all costs.
Buy once cry once is another value I hold dear.

This mob market some Aussie made gear including clothing whilst some gear and clothing is made in Asian countries other than China with the balance made in China by outside owned manufactures. http://www.moroka30.com.au/

This mob hand make excellent hunting clothing,100% small Aussie business.http://www.blackfoot.com.au/

Personally I save money towards items and build upon my needs as time goes on.

Regards,

Tony
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jul 2021, 2:27 pm

Soft quiet clothing mostly more important than colour choice , washed without detergents that contain uv brighteners if u want to get serious .....throw a nice blaze orange cap on your noggin in case someone else thinks he saw a deer move
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 21 Jul 2021, 3:43 pm

mate I have all kinds, and really it comes down to not smelling and slow movements more than anything else, I know a lot of dopey pricks hunting in khaki done up like fatigues and or fatigues and other commercial consumer camo, then they go and put on a high vis vest, best bet is low UV, so cotton and no fancy dyes or anything, and ffs no high vis.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by boingk » 21 Jul 2021, 9:37 pm

Similar sentiments to above.

I rotate through a few earth tone hoodies I picked up from Kmart years ago coupled with jeans and a t-shirt. Nothing fancy. I use old workboots for footwear, standard black zip-side things that are comfortable and give good ankle support. Hat is usually a basic mesh-back cap, usually black.

Pretty much what I'm wearing now come to think of it, or any time not at work - don't over complicate this. Just wear something comfortable and appropriate for the temperature and weather.

I don't do hi-vis as I don't hunt in any public reserves, usually private property ranging from 20k - 30k acres.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jul 2021, 11:12 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Depending where I am I try and dress accordingly, I wear a suit at weddings.....just kidding.

I go the khaki/light colours most of the time, iv got khaki work pants from big w and Oz camo top from the local disposals which have faded in the wash a little but still look good. In state forest I wear the same pants but have a Ridgefield realtree jacket.

Don't be afraid to buy what you want. Odds are you'll go hunting a few times a year and it will last you forever.

I went to a wedding do once,,,,,, "Semi Formal"
So I wore a suit top,,,,,,,,,,,, and camo pants. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jul 2021, 11:23 pm

Downunder wrote:By Australian absolutely where I can is my pledge. And if i have to buy anywhere else I avoid China at all costs.
Tony

Yep, buy once cry once I agree with,,,,,,,,,,, but,,,
How the hell do you avoid China at all costs,,,,, when metaphorically speaking that is all you can get these days.
When did we vote to allow the Guvmint to flood Australia with cheap sh!t from Chinaman?

Yeah,,,, it's cheap,,,, but ya get what ya pay for.

More Australian (or USA/GB/ Maylasia/Taiwan etc) content would be readily bought if freely available.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 22 Jul 2021, 5:16 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Downunder wrote:By Australian absolutely where I can is my pledge. And if i have to buy anywhere else I avoid China at all costs.
Tony

Yep, buy once cry once I agree with,,,,,,,,,,, but,,,
How the hell do you avoid China at all costs,,,,, when metaphorically speaking that is all you can get these days.
When did we vote to allow the Guvmint to flood Australia with cheap sh!t from Chinaman?

Yeah,,,, it's cheap,,,, but ya get what ya pay for.

More Australian (or USA/GB/ Maylasia/Taiwan etc) content would be readily bought if freely available.

It’s around but not easy to find even with the www and the manipulative gogle search engine (which suppresses what it wants).
But if ones wants to get serious you can replace China, it just takes more of an effort, lateral thinking and patience.

I put up a couple of links to China alternatives for hunting style clothing.

My anti China consumer habits aren’t a recent development, I started resisting imports years ago when our manufacturing industries were being cancelled by globalism and a lack of pride and investment by out politicians and their governments.

My linage is that of primary producers, I’ve first hand experience as a kid living poor whilst my old man battled the imports of cheap produce from overseas countries who’s standards and prices were far lower than ours.

Australians have been conditioned and cultured into the consumer rat race where more is better, our governments have built false economies addicted to the revenue generated by the ease of debt multiplied by people insatiable greed and poor choices.

As an example my day to day work clothes come from Vietnam, Australia, Australia, Australia, Australia,Australia,USA.

I pay special attention to corporates who trade on their heritage values, upon scrutiny often they’re not as localised as they encourage you to think they are.

The hardest thing I’ve found to source as a replacement from a China is compliant hivis workwear.
I have some US made stuff but it lacks ADR, not that anyone would ever know.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Jul 2021, 10:34 am

This mob hand make excellent hunting clothing,100% small Aussie business.http://www.blackfoot.com.au/
[/quote]

Thanks for putting this up.
I like good quality clothes,,,,,, but I'm always a sucker for jackets, and I love the look of these ones. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Jul 2021, 12:37 pm

bigpete wrote:Flannys and khaki pants from big w

flanno is great camouflage given how animals vision is much different to ours, they are sensitive to movement not necessarily colours, the checkered pattern breaks up our outline very well.

I wear flannelette shirts when hunting and have had animals stop and stare right through me, in the absence of movement they eventually continue grazing, turn my head or raise the rifle and they bolt.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 22 Jul 2021, 12:50 pm

As base layer I've had the layers of stoney creek microtought long sleeve shirt and kuiu attack pants. They breathe and they can get dry after a shower of rain.

But if your definition of hunting is spotlighting in pine forests then levi's and flanel shirts will suffice.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2021, 2:53 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

flanno is great camouflage given how animals vision is much different to ours, they are sensitive to movement not necessarily colours, the checkered pattern breaks up our outline very well.

I wear flannelette shirts when hunting and have had animals stop and stare right through me, in the absence of movement they eventually continue grazing, turn my head or raise the rifle and they bolt.

I haven't worn proper camo for years. Last few deer I've shot have been no further than 60m,2 under 40m,1 at around 10. Last fox I shot was under 10m. My usual hunting attire is blue or khaki pants and khaki top. All stalking,not spotlighting
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kurnal » 22 Jul 2021, 4:56 pm

These are all awesome responses. Thanks heaps. As a newbie, it's easy to get caught up the hype. Based on this thread I basically have everything I need other than a good jacket, which I am happy to spend some decent coin on. Some of the Aussie suppliers mentioned above look the goods.

My sons in the army but in a different state. If I ever get to see him again with this stinking Covid, I am sure I can pinch some of his old stuff :)

Thanks all
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jul 2021, 6:12 pm

bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

I haven't worn proper camo for years. Last few deer I've shot have been no further than 60m,2 under 40m,1 at around 10. Last fox I shot was under 10m. My usual hunting attire is blue or khaki pants and khaki top. All stalking, not spotlighting

I don't think you use NV gear either Pete?

Yeh, I'm convinced, wind & movement are super important. Cammo helps but, less so.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Jul 2021, 6:45 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigpete wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:

I haven't worn proper camo for years. Last few deer I've shot have been no further than 60m,2 under 40m,1 at around 10. Last fox I shot was under 10m. My usual hunting attire is blue or khaki pants and khaki top. All stalking, not spotlighting

I don't think you use NV gear either Pete?

Yeh, I'm convinced, wind & movement are super important. Cammo helps but, less so.

I have it,just don't use it. Not for a couple of years,and definitely not for deer. Was using it when shooting bunnies for pet food that's about it. Same attire is what i wear bow hunting too. Occasionally I'll wear camo if I thats what I've got,for example,my only hunting jacket is camo,and my summer hunting shirt is camo,so if its really hot or really cold I'll wear them simply because they're the only clothes suitable. Otherwise I'm in flannel or khaki lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by disco stu » 23 Jul 2021, 7:46 am

If you're ever keen for some reading, look up wavelengths of deer/animal vision. Many animals can't see up into the orange red part of the visible spectrum, but they can see shorter wavelengths than we can see, so blue colors and down into the UV part of the spectrum.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2021, 8:17 am

I believe this is it.

dog & deer vision-4.jpg
dog & deer vision-4.jpg (24.6 KiB) Viewed 7085 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 23 Jul 2021, 11:47 am

That's a good illustration.

I wasn't aware that dogs have the same vision as deer, but I knew they couldn't see as much as humans at least. I had wondered about cats also, seeing they will chase red laser pointer, but it could just look bright to them. But then we can't see far into infra red at all, appears dark to us, so I would think the same would apply to animals if it's a wavelength they can't see.

Now my nerd is coming out!
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2021, 12:30 pm

That may not be 100%. But that's my understanding. Bar few exceptions thats what most animals see. (Grazers and predators)

Ape's and many/most birds have colour vision much the same as us.

It's just the result of time researching on the www.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 23 Jul 2021, 1:08 pm

I had always assumed predators would have different vision to herbivores, but I had never actually looked into that side so interesting to hear
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2021, 5:16 pm

disco stu wrote:I had always assumed predators would have different vision to herbivores, but I had never actually looked into that side so interesting to hear

It is only aproximate.

Preys eyes are at the side of the head too, giving them about 270deg view, predators eyes point to the front only giving about 90deg vision. Add great hearing and smell, makes hunting them a real challenge eh.

We have good vision but sh1t hearing and smell. But then, we also have firearms with a 300yard range. Who has the advantage?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jul 2021, 6:11 pm

There’s a ton of really deep technical info about animal vision on the net and really worth reading In regard to day and night vision of animals. There are details about certain types of animals that a hunter would not target eg Shrimp and owls but it does give u a better understanding of the whole picture about animals sight
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2021, 9:57 pm

Blr243 wrote:There’s a ton of really deep technical info about animal vision on the net and really worth reading In regard to day and night vision of animals. There are details about certain types of animals that a hunter would not target eg Shrimp and owls but it does give u a better understanding of the whole picture about animals sight

Bloody good point, that's another in their favour. Lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey