How to start hunting process

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

How to start hunting process

Post by pilotsignal » 02 Aug 2021, 12:20 am

Hi Guys,
I have just got my new firearm licence and waiting for PTA (though not sure how am I gong to buy a rifle with all this COVID madness).
Since I am new to the club, I do not know anyone around so far. Thus, I have no clue how can I start hunting, where to start. Can I do it alone or I need to join some hunters' party or else?
Can you share your experience, please? Most especially if you were an individual like I am not knowing any other hunters in the area.
Thanks .
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: How to start hunting process

Post by Ferrisweil » 02 Aug 2021, 12:34 am

You might want to add some more info bud. Where are you based? What do you want to hunt? Your experience?
If you’re a total newb, highly recommend you go out with someone else and start sponging knowledge. You never stop learning, but knowing the basics helps.
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 02 Aug 2021, 2:18 am

Like old mate said, try get out with some experienced hunters. But before you do that spend a day or 2 at the range with the rifle you havnt got yet, there's plenty of potential learning curves you will conquer at the range. First you will need to decide what calibre you will want. Once you get your rifle you will be finding ammo your rifle likes. This involves putting a few different types down the barrel and seeing which group best. Along with that you will have to sight it In.
Don't forget cleaning apparatus, and depending who's opinion you get, breaking in the barrel.

Get to know your rifle...Silverdale rifle range goes up to 200m. With 100m and 50 in between, that's if you're in Sydney.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 02 Aug 2021, 6:08 am

Hi pilotsignal

I would say, purchase a descent 22LR. Get a reasonable quality scope put on it.
Take this rifle to a range, if in Sydney the ST Mary range is indoor or Silverdale out door range are good.
Practice on this until you feel comfortable.
I find at the range there are some range officers and other shooters who are happy to help with advice and share anecdotes that may answer some of your concerns.

Silverdale range used to offer classes on various hunting / reloading topics. Call them see if they have anything on that interests you (after the current lockdown which is scheduled to end in 2030.. :lol: )

The internet and shooters magazines can also assist. Talk to your local gun shop for advice. Even this forum sometimes has some interesting forums for you.
Only by asking the questions, will you find the answers..(I think Yoda said that)
:thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 8:11 am

Going out with others means you will learn heaps, but it's not that easy to just go with someone. I'm normally on my own but pick something up every time I'm with someone else. But in saying that, you'll learn more going out on your own than waiting around at home.

Are you planning on state forests or private land? If private have you any access yet?

If state forest you would have to be in an "approved hunting organisation" for your r licence, in which case someone there might be able to head out with you.

What part of NSW are you in? Being in lockdown I'm assuming somewhere in "greater Sydney" area.

I'm in the Wollongong area myself. I'm a member of a local club which does regular state forest club hunts. There is always someone on these hunts willing to have someone tag along, even if it's just to go for a drive and look around. The club must be fairly popular as we have members in Sydney, Campbelltown, southern highlands etc. I found them really helpful in choosing a rifle, caliber, scope etc when starting also.

What are you planning to hunt? That obviously makes a difference in rifle choice also
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 02 Aug 2021, 8:58 am

Hi guys I’m quite new too and when it comes to ranges, thought I would suggest the 2 that I’ve been to. Sisc at Cecil park. This is an Olympic range which is well setup. I have had a lot of advice there from a few of the guys when if first started. I went there with my new cz and an officer helped me with sighting in. Ive been there half a dozen times and it’s a friendly environment and ammo seems quite cheap too.
I’ve also been to hilltop once and there are a couple of ranges. I went to the smaller one at first where they shoot rimfire and then I went to a larger one from memory had 50, 100, 200 I think up to 500m, then there’s a longer distance one also.
Not sure if I want to venture into hunting, but both the above ranges seem a good place to start if you are local.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 02 Aug 2021, 10:49 am

Lsfan wrote:Hi guys I’m quite new too and when it comes to ranges, thought I would suggest the 2 that I’ve been to. Sisc at Cecil park. This is an Olympic range which is well setup. I have had a lot of advice there from a few of the guys when if first started. I went there with my new cz and an officer helped me with sighting in. Ive been there half a dozen times and it’s a friendly environment and ammo seems quite cheap too.
I’ve also been to hilltop once and there are a couple of ranges. I went to the smaller one at first where they shoot rimfire and then I went to a larger one from memory had 50, 100, 200 I think up to 500m, then there’s a longer distance one also.
Not sure if I want to venture into hunting, but both the above ranges seem a good place to start if you are local.

Some one ntold me Cecil park only does rimfire and pistol on their range???
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pilotsignal » 02 Aug 2021, 11:48 am

Thank you Guys for all your valuable inputs.
Sorry, I did not include all the information in my post not because I am lazy (although, I am :-) ) but may be it was a bit too early for me to be sure.
For instance, I have been thinking about 22WMR at first but then, decided otherwise to get 223REM, instead. (HOWA 1500 Sporter otr may be TIKKA 3x)
My shooting experience was a very long time ago about 25+ years and was limited to ТОЗ-8 rim, AKM (7.62) and AK-74 (5.45). So, it is safe to say that I am a brand new shooter, now.
So, I gathered the best way to start hunting (after I spent some time at the range to pick up my skills) is to get to know some fellow shooters at the range, is that right?
Since, I am in Illawarra NSW, I guess the closest range will be Hill Top for me.
Thanks guys for your help. Be safe and be well!
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 02 Aug 2021, 11:59 am

You're close to me then. Yeah, hill top is closest which is a pain being a fair drive.

Are you planning on state forest or private land hunting? Are you in a club or anything yet? Just wondering if you got hunting or target shooting licence
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 02 Aug 2021, 12:03 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
Lsfan wrote:Hi guys I’m quite new too and when it comes to ranges, thought I would suggest the 2 that I’ve been to. Sisc at Cecil park. This is an Olympic range which is well setup. I have had a lot of advice there from a few of the guys when if first started. I went there with my new cz and an officer helped me with sighting in. Ive been there half a dozen times and it’s a friendly environment and ammo seems quite cheap too.

Some one ntold me Cecil park only does rimfire and pistol on their range???

Yes that’s correct plus shotgun and air rifle. I neglected to mention that. They have electronic targets which is pretty cool with larger overhead screens.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey