f**king mpzzies

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

f**king mpzzies

Post by bah! » 24 Aug 2021, 9:02 am

So, holed up waiting for my dinner to walk past, or at least within range, and the mosquitos are just out of control ATM. Is there anything you can use that doesn't smell much?
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: f**king mpzzies

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Aug 2021, 9:30 am

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 24 Aug 2021, 11:52 am

Do not laugh but when I was a youngster, I regularly travelled to QLD (Toogoom to be exact) and sandflies and mossies around the house were abundant. My old man used to get some large empty jam tins and pack them with dried cow dung and set fire to it. The stuff smoldered well and kept the bugs away while burning.
Can't remember if gave off an aroma, though.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2021, 1:17 pm

bah! wrote:So, holed up waiting for my dinner to walk past, or at least within range, and the mosquitos are just out of control ATM. Is there anything you can use that doesn't smell much?

Mosquito net.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Aug 2021, 1:29 pm

Bugman wrote:Do not laugh but when I was a youngster, I regularly travelled to QLD (Toogoom to be exact) and sandflies and mossies around the house were abundant. My old man used to get some large empty jam tins and pack them with dried cow dung and set fire to it. The stuff smoldered well and kept the bugs away while burning.
Can't remember if gave off an aroma, though.

That was a very tried and true method way back, I've heard mutable stories about smouldering cow dung to keep away mosquitoes.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bah! » 24 Aug 2021, 3:36 pm

I wonder if the animals mind the burning cow dung, I know it might make me less popular at home.
As for nets, when I say they're out of control, they're stinging through king gee work pants, through my bandanna, through my shirt, around my wrists. Presently wrapped up in a cammo swag with just the muzzle pointing out.
bah!
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Aug 2021, 4:14 pm

bah! wrote:I wonder if the animals mind the burning cow dung, I know it might make me less popular at home.
As for nets, when I say they're out of control, they're stinging through king gee work pants, through my bandanna, through my shirt, around my wrists. Presently wrapped up in a cammo swag with just the muzzle pointing out.

Fuk that. Go home and crack a stubbie.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Aug 2021, 7:00 pm

bah! wrote:I wonder if the animals mind the burning cow dung, I know it might make me less popular at home.

Bah!
Get out before you need a blood transfusion ;) :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Aug 2021, 7:24 pm

Repellent and coils and Smokey stuff if there a few poking about .....netting if they really really want you. I have been in a hole less tent with perfectly sealed zippers in tee tree swamp country at night and they want you real bad but they just can’t get you .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Robin » 24 Aug 2021, 8:25 pm

I hardly get bitten by them, it must be the over dose of garlic I eat, however my wife gets nailed every time.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2021, 8:42 pm

Robin wrote:I hardly get bitten by them, it must be the over dose of garlic I eat, however my wife gets nailed every time.

I had,a girlfriend that was seriously diabetic, mozzies never bothered her at all, might be worth considering ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Aug 2021, 9:05 pm

Fuk, they eat me alive. I get welts pretty bad too.

Must be my blue blood. :D
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 25 Aug 2021, 5:55 am

Robin wrote:I hardly get bitten by them, it must be the over dose of garlic I eat, however my wife gets nailed every time.

Haha I’m the same. No idea why. She gets chewed up red raw. They don’t touch me.
It’s the March flies that i hate. Those things are brutal. Impervious to any repellent. They hunt in swarms and you hear them coming over the rise. Huge fangs.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 28 Aug 2021, 4:05 pm

I've heard that people with higher vitamin b levels are bitten less. Might have been b12. Not sure if the truth in it though
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 28 Aug 2021, 5:55 pm

Let’s all go stand in a swamp and count the mozzies on our backs and compare them with our medical records
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey