Washing your hunting clothes

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Washing your hunting clothes

Post by Hucka » 14 Apr 2014, 8:24 am

I've been hand washing and drying my washing clothes for a while, not using any detergent etc. to avoid any smell.

Just wondering if most people are doing the same?

Or what you're doing instead?
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Washing your hunting clothes

Post by Lorgar » 14 Apr 2014, 8:47 am

I'm doing the same.

I'm told you can get speciality wash powder that doesn't have the various no-no chemicals for UV and whatever else is in there. No idea which ones they are though.

Hand wash, hand dry.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 14 Apr 2014, 9:20 am

Machine wash hot, no detergent, soap etc etc. If they get oil/petrol/diesel on them you may as well throw them away.

Dry on the line, after storage I hang them out in the sun for a few hours to air and let the UV kill any scent. (if a few hours of sun kills scent on paddock grass-of an evening I get into position for a sit and wait a couple of hours early- then it must be good for clothes).

If you are really keen then it is the little things that get passed on down that make the difference.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by dustin » 14 Apr 2014, 12:11 pm

Warrigul wrote:Machine wash hot, no detergent, soap etc etc.

No concerns over detergent from past washes rubbing off you think?
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 14 Apr 2014, 12:12 pm

Not something I bother with but I know guys who water-wash their stuff then store it in a plastic bag with some leaves etc. so it 'absorbs' the smell of them.

Has some merit I suppose...
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 14 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm

dustin wrote:No concerns over detergent from past washes rubbing off you think?

How far do you go?

You have to stop somewhere.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2014, 6:06 pm

To avoid UV on clothes (deer see the UV spectrum) I use a table spoon of Bi carb to a wash or you can use any non-phospherous soap. (I believe wool wash is OK too) Hanging in the sunshine will also help as UV light destroys smell.

I then store clothes in a plastic bag with a little Bi carb of soda. Shortly before going out I sprinkle a little eucalyptus oil on clothes to smother any odour remaining. (I believe some hunters use tea tree oil) I'm convinced it helps if the wind changes.

I use non-scented soap for all personal washing when going hunting.

Most animals do not see orange as we do so I wear an orange cap for safety reasons.

Hope this helps.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dustin » 14 Apr 2014, 7:57 pm

Warrigul wrote:How far do you go?

You have to stop somewhere.

Yeah sorry, that sounded a bit sarcastic the way I wrote it :lol:

You're right you have to stop somewhere, was just genuinely curious for any thoughts on it.
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 14 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I then store clothes in a plastic bag with a little Bi carb of soda.

I store mine in a plastic bag too to stop house smells absorbing... Good idea for the bi-carb though, I will start doing that.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 15 Apr 2014, 11:55 am

I didn't mean to sound short or anything, honestly if you are dead keen then there is no limit to what you could do. However how far do you want to go? Like fishing 10% of hunters shoot 90% of the game.

I used to be dead keen when younger now I enjoy the outing as much as the actual shooting. At 45 I am more inclined to let someone else have a go if they want to and I just guide.

If you are a bowhunter then no measure is too extreme but I still think that wind direction, movement and shape are the biggest factors and it doesn't matter if you are wearing sparkly pink dayglo workwear and loads of samsara perfume as long as you get the big three right.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by SendIt » 15 Apr 2014, 2:45 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Shortly before going out I sprinkle a little eucalyptus oil on clothes to smother any odour remaining. (I believe some hunters use tea tree oil)

Not something I actually practice but I was often told the same, except doing it with eucalyptus leaves fresh from the forest.

That's the free/lazy way I guess. Using straight oil surely masks other smells better as it's stronger.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 15 Apr 2014, 4:40 pm

The masking smell bit is an important note.

It is no good having scent less clothes if the body inside them smells of sweat, smoke, deodourant, soap etc etc.

All are just as bad as detergent.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2014, 6:33 pm

It just depends how keen you are.

Walking into the wind is still a must, but the scent "control" helps if the wind changes or is not consistent as always seems to be when I go out.

And yep, after a while if you start to sweat some of the preparation becomes a bit pointless hence the eucalyptus oil to try and cover up my BO. :oops:

I'm far from an expert but I think it's all worth while because I don't get out very often. Most of those "tricks or tips" came from Errol Masons book Secrets of sambar by the way.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Aster » 15 Apr 2014, 9:26 pm

Warrigul wrote:It is no good having scent less clothes if the body inside them smells of sweat, smoke, deodourant, soap etc etc.

Or if you smell like they're buddy who got BBQ'd the night before :D
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Jun 2017, 7:54 pm

Mine just go in the wash with everything else.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jun 2017, 9:20 pm

I always wash em separate from any other clothes, and always use Eucalyptus Wool Wash.

As an extra precaution (specially if in warm weather) I carry a bottle of 50/50 Eucalyptus and Ti Tree oil.
A few quick dabs can't go astray.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Geech » 30 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

Atsko sports wash all the way. Supposed to leave no scent and also gets rid of UV brighteners.
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 30 Jun 2017, 10:51 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Mine just go in the wash with everything else.

Grave digger dug this one up :lol:

Yeah mate, I agree. I really doubt an animal with a keen scent would be fooled by a drop of eucalyptus oil on a person. Blokes have been trying to trick tracking and scent detection dogs for decades without luck. Adding one more un natural scent to a body literally covered with scent wind do anything to mask the rest of the scent. Would be like sticking a post it note on a hippo and expecting it to hide in officeworks :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 01 Jul 2017, 12:59 am

Warrigul wrote:I didn't mean to sound short or anything, honestly if you are dead keen then there is no limit to what you could do. However how far do you want to go? Like fishing 10% of hunters shoot 90% of the game.

I used to be dead keen when younger now I enjoy the outing as much as the actual shooting. At 45 I am more inclined to let someone else have a go if they want to and I just guide.

If you are a bowhunter then no measure is too extreme but I still think that wind direction, movement and shape are the biggest factors and it doesn't matter if you are wearing sparkly pink dayglo workwear and loads of samsara perfume as long as you get the big three right.

Spot on.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jul 2017, 8:51 am

Chronos wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Mine just go in the wash with everything else.

Grave digger dug this one up :lol:

Yeah mate, I agree. I really doubt an animal with a keen scent would be fooled by a drop of eucalyptus oil on a person. Blokes have been trying to trick tracking and scent detection dogs for decades without luck. Adding one more un natural scent to a body literally covered with scent wind do anything to mask the rest of the scent. Would be like sticking a post it note on a hippo and expecting it to hide in officeworks :lol:

Chronos

A lot of truth in that. Some animals seem to be able to separate the different smells. I just recon a bit of eucalyptus can't do any harm.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 01 Jul 2017, 6:39 pm

What about go and walk in some wombat poo. That stuff stinks like hi heaven. You will have a really unpleasant afternoon but you may get to shoot something.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Jul 2017, 9:05 pm

sungazer wrote:What about go and walk in some wombat poo. That stuff stinks like hi heaven. You will have a really unpleasant afternoon but you may get to shoot something.

Maybe a Wombat ??????
I hear they taste like a cross between Black Swan and Freckled Duck.

You go first and let us know about your experience. :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2017, 8:46 am

sungazer wrote:What about go and walk in some wombat poo. That stuff stinks like hi heaven. You will have a really unpleasant afternoon but you may get to shoot something.

I do that.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey