Fresh meat

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Fresh meat

Post by Blr243 » 30 Nov 2021, 7:26 pm

I’ll be knocking off early this Christmas and spending a couple of weeks on a new place in cent qld ( sorry family commitments but I never was the type to sit at the base of a Christmas tree clutching a candle and singing SILENT NIGHT ) .... I prefer to be sitting on the edge of a dam with my new 270 on a dark night ...it’s out Dirran, st George , Thallon way , so hopefully I can get myself a few ginger brindles ....it feels like decades since I have shot one. Perhaps at night I have got one or two in the last couple of years but at night with thermal , and red headlamps I don’t always see the true colour of my pigs ....99 per cent black at my usual spot ...... day one on a new patch is always exciting, driving around on new tracks, learning the lay of the land , observing, and making lots of mental notes , wondering what the days and nights ahead reveal .....just 8 more sleeps before I hook the quad trailer onto the back of my Ute and leave the city behind
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Fresh meat

Post by GQshayne » 30 Nov 2021, 7:30 pm

Mr first ever trip as a boy was on the other side of Dirranbandi.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 30 Nov 2021, 7:43 pm

The pigs are double stacked at nindigully this year. They’re going to come on thick with a good summer now.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2021, 8:51 am

Good Hunting BLR :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Dec 2021, 2:46 pm

Thanks WM. I never really been overly successful in those areas before but that was two decades ago , and useing a rifle instead of a bow will improve my odds, and it’s a completely different property.....and the google images show a fair amount of blacksoil. Only Time will tell
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Dec 2021, 6:52 pm

Look out for that cotton pickin' black soil mate. It's very Sticky when wet :oops: :cry:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 01 Dec 2021, 7:42 pm

Still be a lot of water and mud around BLR , stay safe
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 01 Dec 2021, 8:08 pm

True. Might b quadbike and shanks pony for a lot of it. I def need to see all the tracks in daylight first so I don’t drive into a wet patch at night. Years ago in a 2 wd Holden Ute I did a night bogged east of Dirranbandi in a long grass swamp with 137 million mosquitoes thank god I had plenty of insect repellent and even then they still wanted me bad Just typing this now makes me think I gotta go buy another mozzie net and keep it in the glove box. And repellant gotta b that proper stuff that will give me cancer down the track.....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 01 Dec 2021, 9:19 pm

Blr243 wrote:True. Might b quadbike and shanks pony for a lot of it. I def need to see all the tracks in daylight first so I don’t drive into a wet patch at night. Years ago in a 2 wd Holden Ute I did a night bogged east of Dirranbandi in a long grass swamp.

Beware Mate,,,,,, I got my good ute stuck this morning on my own place.
Spent all day with the old cruiser ute, winch, and tractor,, two snatch blocks,, and the good ute is still there after only gaining three feet for the entire day.
Snapped a 50 mm braided tow rope in the process.

It's treacherous stuff.
To start with,,,,, I was parked on "solid" ground,,,,,,,,, and then as I was in the process of selecting reverse gear,, the ground just suddenly
collapsed under and the ute just dropped straight down. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 02 Dec 2021, 8:13 am

That's damn scary DJ :crazy: :shock:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Dec 2021, 9:04 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:That's damn scary DJ :crazy: :shock:

Worked on it all day again,,, and gained four feet and managed to get the back wheels up and onto gridmesh ramps,,,,, and
the front wheels out of their holes now sitting up on un molested ground between the front and back wheel holes.

Tomorrow will see me filling the holes with house bricks so I can winch again without the front wheels disappearing.

It hasnt rained now for two days,,, but there is so much water flowing through under the surface that the ground moves up and down
for five feet out from the ute all the way around when you walk on it.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Dec 2021, 9:37 pm

U must be bloody sick of all that water by now
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Dec 2021, 9:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:U must be bloody sick of all that water by now

Mate,,,,,,,,,, I was sweating so much today I swear I was making the ground even worse. :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Dec 2021, 1:51 pm

Got my ute out completely yesterday lunch time,,,,,,,,,,,
And spent an hour hosing all the sand and clay out from underneath it.

When the dry comes I'm gonna need the tractor bucket to back fill the holes where the ute was.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey