Rare Sabre tooth mosquitoes discovered cent Qld

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Rare Sabre tooth mosquitoes discovered cent Qld

Post by Blr243 » 18 Dec 2021, 6:44 am

Should have said access to any grass. Typo error and I not spell check prior to hit SUBMITT
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Dec 2021, 10:26 pm

1015 pm sitting here on the boundary fence again with a mob of pigs on the crop in the neighbours. If they get a little closer I’ll try call them ova. Was getting hit hard by my mozzie mates but a dash of bushmans seems to be slowin them up ... tune in here anytime for my December non exciting hunting adventures
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Dec 2021, 10:36 pm

Mate,,,,,, your gonna have to set things right,,,,,,,, and change thename of this thread.
By all accounts,, the "Rare Sabre tooth mosquitos" aint exactly "rare", especially in your neck of the woods. :lol:

By the sounds of things, I'd be jumping on the Quad and heading next door,, and introduce yourself.
Being the man left as care taker would stand you in good stead to cross the boundary and sort those oinkers out.
Just don't take a rifle with you on the "introductory" lap.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Dec 2021, 12:28 am

Coincidentally I actually used to hunt next door 20 plus yrs ago but lost contact over the years by not goin there often enough...... took the quad for a good session tonight in some sandy patch of timber , , around and over a bore drain , sometimes wet sometimes dry it varies I noticed the other day when I walked that area, Was very cautious tonight managed not to get bogged , had the lights and gps goin doin everything I could possibly do to ensure I didn’t spend a night bogged with mozzies .....came back past the boundary for another look at those pigs on the crop but by then they had moved off , ,farmers dogs are goin off absolutely spastic. At the moment
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Dec 2021, 12:46 am

After dinner I headed out on my quad , found amob of 8 on the neighbor s place feeding in the crop but this time they were much closer to the fence. I got their attention with my calling app but they weren’t keen to go check it. I was perfectly downwind of them. There was a very reasonable boar amongst them. A perfect target for my 270. But he was always harrassaing one particular sow for sex ....I ended up leaving them , found a nice new promising patch of timber , skirted round it. Then jumped off and walked the dog thru it. No luck. Maybe tomorrow arv whenstill light. Came home to base. Fed my lamb , put all my equipment on charge. , and now I’m stuffed. Not setting my alarm for tomorrow. I’ll just get up whenever
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Dec 2021, 11:52 am

The 4 farm dogs out here have cracked the s**ts big time and are all off work on strike until their accommodation is upgraded
Attachments
BD96C02E-FB03-4B8E-B1A0-CD1D5A6F169D.jpeg
BD96C02E-FB03-4B8E-B1A0-CD1D5A6F169D.jpeg (564.77 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Dec 2021, 9:04 pm

Now we are both sitting in a mozzie proof enclose , on mattresses and fan doing its job Dinner is dome , been for a walk with the dog thru a patch of Bush up the back. I could tell by his body language that diesel smelled something of interest in there a couple of times but nothing eventuated. Drove past the neighbours pig paddock but it was void of any activity ( earlier than I visit usually ) so the quad is refueled I shall revisit that paddock in about an hour ... sawquite a few hares running amok in the house paddock on dusk tonight so that probably explains why the farmers dogs have been goin troppo over all hours of the night
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Dec 2021, 9:18 am

Work up about 1130 last night. Felt a bit better after a nap so took the quad out to that patch of Bush again. With old swampy river bed it looked like a likely spot. This patch I was advised was worth looking thru but again I had no luck. And when I drove past that pig paddock again no luck their either. Then rode to the north west corner patch of scrub and shirted around it thru some new paddock not yet hunted. No joy. Returned home. Fed my lamb and slept. Work up feeling rather tired. Taking it easy for the rest of the day I think.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 21 Dec 2021, 7:34 pm

May be time to check out your next spot.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Dec 2021, 8:34 pm

Yes this ones a tad uneventful.....was chatting to a bloke on the phone this arv and he mentioned my drones. I’m really glad he did because it reminded me to dig them out and get practicing again. So after the call I reckon I spent at least two hours stuffing around trying to remember the buttons and procedures. Eventually I got the thermal drone in the air for a bit and then bought it down .. then put all my equipment and spare batteries on charge. Fed the lamb and the farmers dogs. In anticipation of heading out soonish but a big storm just rolled in so I spose I’m eating and on the Internet again instead. At this stage there’s enough rain hitting the machinery shed where I’m camped to think I should not go out tonight. No need to stuff up the nice tracks. I found a big dead lamb yesterday amongst the newly separated lambs , just 15 m from their main drink trough and under one of their favourite shade trees. It did not look right so I noted the tag number / cut the tag off and took it up the back away from all the stock ....perhaps it may make a nice fox or pig bait. It was seriously rank ...having only owned the new Ute for a few months I assure u it was the most disgusting thing that’s ever been in my Ute
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Dec 2021, 8:42 pm

Trouble is new spots are not easy to come by ....this one has potential. At the right time of year , depending on crops and when the grass is not long it could be ok ...at the moment looking across the paddocks all u can see is one big see of buffel grass three feet high ....on .my best place I used to be able to see about 700 pigs in seven nights hunting when conditions were perfect. But other times u won’t see a pig there in an entire weeks hunting, and that has happened to me the last three visits. Even immediately after harvest o n the wheat stubble I only saw mice and Roos. Not exactly trophy material ...not keen to return there at all for a while.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 22 Dec 2021, 8:04 pm

Spots are hard to find for sure - I do not have one at all.

I am interested in what you experience with your drones. I have seen a couple of DVD's where they were using drones, and even at quite high altitude it was spooking the pigs and making them run.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 22 Dec 2021, 10:00 pm

Hope your doing well out there Russell im well over due to head out myself time or should i say being able to get it off is a problem.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 22 Dec 2021, 10:52 pm

Shane.....I’m very aware of the noise issue. There are low noise blades available but it’s been a while since I looked into it , I’m pretty sure I already have them fitted ...generally unspooked pigs I see are cruising along with ears flopped downwards and I only seee them prick up in the direction they are interested in if they get Suss on something so this downward pointing ear canal is in my favour hopefully ......as a guide , when practicing I shoot my drone up into the air and listen for it ...the altitude is displayed on my screen as soon as it reaches the point I can’t hear it I add another 5 m of altitude to be sure ....this is what I would do if I were filming pigs , which I have little interest in doing ....with more practice I hope to be able to find pigs with it , return the drone to me , and then stalk on foot ....I think it would be very handy on cape York, forward scouting on swamps to see activity before I do the walk in the hot sun for nothing if it’s currently got nothing on it ... but there’s so much practice and familiarity required first if I don’t want to be crashing my drone into a big gumtree , or getting it attacked by a big kite, hawk or wedge tail ......Azza, Too much work sux for sure ..... hopefully u can get away ova Xmas period even if it’s a three day trip. Stacks of people inc me are back at it again on the fourth. Does not leave much time to enjoy ourselves ....I did two trips on the quad tonight separated by about 90 mins for a meal break but no joy. Only saw one roo ...if I can drag myself out of bed early tomorrow I might get an early morning walk with the dog in the swampy river country
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 6:37 am

When my alarm this morning went off at stupid o’clock it was a huge psychological battle between the part of me that knew I should go check that patch of timber , and the part of me that wanted to hit the snooze button and forget all about it ..eventually I threw all the gear in the quad bike and headed of ....as soon as I got there I realised in my half asleep state that I had forgotten to bring the bushmans ... the mosquitoes took full advantage of the situation. Unfortunately all I could do is keep moving albeit faster than I would normally hunt. Found some fresh prints and fresh sign. Dog looked enthusiastic and held his nose high in anticipation as we worked our way into the wind The brush was pretty awful to move thru. No joy so I’m back at camp for a nap and to feed the ever demanding lamb
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Dec 2021, 1:09 pm

Blr243 wrote:When my alarm this morning went off at stupid o’clock it was a huge psychological battle between the part of me that knew I should go check that patch of timber , and the part of me that wanted to hit the snooze button and forget all about it ..eventually I threw all the gear in the quad bike and headed of ....as soon as I got there I realised in my half asleep state that I had forgotten to bring the bushmans ... the mosquitoes took full advantage of the situation. Unfortunately all I could do is keep moving albeit faster than I would normally hunt. Found some fresh prints and fresh sign. Dog looked enthusiastic and held his nose high in anticipation as we worked our way into the wind The brush was pretty awful to move thru. No joy so I’m back at camp for a nap and to feed the ever demanding lamb

Mate,,,,,,,,, even though I'm not actually there,,,,,,,, I can without doubt tell you exactly (EXACTLY) when you'll hit the jackpot.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 1:56 pm

When I drive out the front gate heading home?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Dec 2021, 2:22 pm

Blr243 wrote:When I drive out the front gate heading home?

That is not unheard of :D Don't oil your rifle's bore until you are on the Outside of the gate :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 2:35 pm

SeeN A dog once run across the track in front of me then he pulled up 40 m away just as I entered the property to hunt dogs for the weekend . But unfortunately during transit I had my rifle stored responsibly not ready in the back of my Ute tool boxes , darn
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 7:05 pm

On day one I was told how vermin proof the rear boundary fence was and that there were only two spots pigs could pass under .. I was told if I knew pigs were inside I could block those holes and keep them in but it’s still a 5oo acre paddock with long grass so still near impossible.. this arv I had an idea. .. I know on the neighbours side the pigs are keen to b there because I have seen them in there nearly every night. Normally I would Ambush sit on a fence with A scratch under it but nothing else is working so giving it a go I have a good stiff consistent breeze in my face thank got it’s right direction
Attachments
1D212CC7-C85B-428F-AB0F-F677935DC4D8.jpeg
1D212CC7-C85B-428F-AB0F-F677935DC4D8.jpeg (266.73 KiB) Viewed 7695 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Dec 2021, 7:09 pm

Blr243 wrote:SeeN A dog once run across the track in front of me then he pulled up 40 m away just as I entered the property to hunt dogs for the weekend . But unfortunately during transit I had my rifle stored responsibly not ready in the back of my Ute tool boxes , darn

Yep; well, you weren't going to get arrested :thumbsup: but I learned my lesson long ago, when leaving a Granite Belt property in Qld. I had parked the car to open a gate when not one but two pigs were spotted. I closed the gate and inched back to the car, all the while keeping an eye on them, surreptitiously opened the boot and began cleaning out the oil. Then they disappeared but my rifle was clean and the hunt was on. :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 7:10 pm

Access under the ring lock
Attachments
C0604D6A-7CD1-4782-B858-2AB05AFE49E3.jpeg
C0604D6A-7CD1-4782-B858-2AB05AFE49E3.jpeg (107.32 KiB) Viewed 7694 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Dec 2021, 7:23 pm

The dirty Barstewards!
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 9:50 pm

Pulled the pin 845 pm. Driving home to base. Camp and cruising round the corner I cosught a glint of eye shine . This was normally in the area whrere I c the hares so I wasn’t getting too excited. Pulled up with thermal Binos and this animal wasn’t giving me the usual high tell tale floppy ears. Upon further inspection I had me a feral cat in range so swapped the binos for rifle , the property owner here hates cats more than Roos pigs and eve thing put together. I rested the forend on the outward slung door and like a good feral cat he stood still for the photo . This was the first game / pest taken with my new sauer 270. ... 90 grain speer tnt s. very flat shooter The other side of the cat is the worst I have ever seen Definitely not quality photo material
Attachments
B94ACCB9-0571-449F-9A5B-6D9FD15221CE.jpeg
B94ACCB9-0571-449F-9A5B-6D9FD15221CE.jpeg (106.92 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Dec 2021, 9:53 pm

Finally something on the ground. Took me week and a half
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 24 Dec 2021, 4:42 am

Nice kitty. And it was a super star paying for photos

Hehe
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 24 Dec 2021, 8:44 am

You get those hunts, BLR. Better luck next time and good shot on the cat :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Dec 2021, 6:06 pm

Blr243 wrote:Finally something on the ground. Took me week and a half

at least you got out there mate . i got a phone call this afternoon , cause of 30 mm of rain my trip out to mitchell after boxing day has been canned :cry:
third trip in a row that's been cancelled on me due to rain and flooding :roll:

hopefully cause of the wet , ferals are breeding up . when it dries out again it should be good . lot's more piggies for you and me blr :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Dec 2021, 6:07 pm

Blr243 wrote:Pulled the pin 845 pm. Driving home to base. Camp and cruising round the corner I cosught a glint of eye shine . This was normally in the area whrere I c the hares so I wasn’t getting too excited. Pulled up with thermal Binos and this animal wasn’t giving me the usual high tell tale floppy ears. Upon further inspection I had me a feral cat in range so swapped the binos for rifle , the property owner here hates cats more than Roos pigs and eve thing put together. I rested the forend on the outward slung door and like a good feral cat he stood still for the photo . This was the first game / pest taken with my new sauer 270. ... 90 grain speer tnt s. very flat shooter The other side of the cat is the worst I have ever seen Definitely not quality photo material

what range did you nail this cat at bloke ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Dec 2021, 6:45 pm

Blr243 wrote:When I drive out the front gate heading home?

:lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey