Rare Sabre tooth mosquitoes discovered cent Qld

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Rare Sabre tooth mosquitoes discovered cent Qld

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Dec 2021, 7:01 pm

Since the worst of the recent rains and subsequent flooding when my ute spent 4 days wallowing,,,,,,,, my three main shooting properties remain
extremely dodgy,,,,,,,,,, with Mother Earth still oozing copious amounts of fluids.
But,,,,,,,,,,,, the piggies are out there in big numbers, according to the owners.
One in particular who is bitching cos the oinkers have all but consumed his Millet crop.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Dec 2021, 7:02 pm

Very sorry to hear of your cancellation rich. I know exactly how you would have been so looking fed to getting away. And the closer you get the keener u get and then bang, Done. Not happening , and after the rain stuffing everything time and time again. That truly sucks. ..I never gave much thought to the range of the cat. I was too busy correctly identifying him. With engine cut, and no spotlight in his face, he had relaxed and started gradually walking towards me. Maybe 60-80 m ishot him. Young male not quite full grown. A bit on the lean side. But now he need not worry about looking for tucker ever again .....I’ve not actually given any thought to where I go hunting next or when. I have a very interesting building project to do in jan so that’s my primary focus ( make some money to secure all the funds for my two week stint up north in October )
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Dec 2021, 7:09 pm

Extremely dodgy wet ground Dj is a great reason to stay home. Good to hear there will b some pigs about for you when it does become safe nuff ..I had 20 mm of rain fall today. I took the quad out for a carefull test run afterwards. It did not attract mud to the wheels. A bit slippery and I gotta be careful. Hopefully the tracks around the edges of the stubble paddock s are raised and tapered enough for safe transit tonight. No way in hell am I Gunn Risk it with my Ute that would be suicide .....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Dec 2021, 10:03 pm

Blr243 wrote:Extremely dodgy wet ground Dj is a great reason to stay home. Good to hear there will b some pigs about for you when it does become safe nuff ..I had 20 mm of rain fall today. I took the quad out for a carefull test run afterwards. It did not attract mud to the wheels. A bit slippery and I gotta be careful. Hopefully the tracks around the edges of the stubble paddock s are raised and tapered enough for safe transit tonight. No way in hell am I Gunn Risk it with my Ute that would be suicide .....

Yeah Mate, that 20mm of rain put one of the only two access roads here,,,,, back under deep water again.
It'd only just recently subsided enough to drive through again,,,,, but now its back to square one again.
I hope Santa has got floats on his sleigh.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Dec 2021, 10:16 pm

Turns out I did not read the track surface well enough in the dark with poor lights on my quad ( pathetic but it’s all I got ) so I bogged and it took me ten mins to get out of there. A bit tired but worth the effort better than a long walk or spending the night with mosquitoes . When trying to get all that mud off my boots gaiters and bike it reminded of how awful that stuff is just hell ...it will have to be a gerni job when I get home
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2021, 6:30 am

Blr243 wrote:Turns out I did not read the track surface well enough in the dark with poor lights on my quad ( pathetic but it’s all I got ) so I bogged and it took me ten mins to get out of there. A bit tired but worth the effort better than a long walk or spending the night with mosquitoes . When trying to get all that mud off my boots gaiters and bike it reminded of how awful that stuff is just hell ...it will have to be a gerni job when I get home

In hindsight it’s probably for the best for me to stay home when the paddock is that wet hey blr ;)
Limited access to property’s would be more frustrating than not going.
Your bike sounds like a asset to your trips. I normally scope out a property, then drive out early next morning and stalk up along water sources and creeks from downwind. A quad bike would increase the range that I could cover I guess. Do you find the bike spooks game at all blr ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2021, 6:34 am

Die Judicii wrote:Since the worst of the recent rains and subsequent flooding when my ute spent 4 days wallowing,,,,,,,, my three main shooting properties remain
extremely dodgy,,,,,,,,,, with Mother Earth still oozing copious amounts of fluids.
But,,,,,,,,,,,, the piggies are out there in big numbers, according to the owners.
One in particular who is bitching cos the oinkers have all but consumed his Millet crop.

I bin hearing the same thing about pig numbers. Once things dry out, hunting should be good. With all the good feed pigs should be getting big . Maybe I should leave my 7-08 at home and take the 45-70 :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Dec 2021, 8:07 am

Regarding spooking game , off course the ultimate stealth would be on foot and barefoot for no noise factor ..that’s how I hunt the cape creeks and swamps , but usually shoes off was for when I was bow hunting ....my quad def spooks some game if I don’t see it first. But puttin along slowly and quietly even if they do hear me it’s often just an awareness off farm machinery that they are already familiar with. Mostly at night I drive without lights. So that when they hear noise they look around and can’t see lights. And they can’t see a big HID light arcing and swooping the landscape so they can’t pin point my position accurately..as soon as I see game on my quad I cut the engine and assess the situation. Sometimes with a stiff breeze in my face , and if there is surrounding noise from wind amongst dry stubble , I choose to approach them on the quad to save leg work. But if I’m at all nervous about noise I’ll walk the whole way. Next October I’ll be doing 20 k missions on my quad from east to west up the cape , useing gps to find swamps on the property. Then as I get close to a swamp I re asses the wind then do the rest on foot , and after shooting back to the quad and then go look for the next swamp .....but when I walk the creeks up the cape it’s strictly walking all the way hot hard work but there’s really no other way to do it ....occasionally if the Bush is thick I might use the quad to get me to a certain part of the creek , walk it and then walk back to the quad. .if the creeks run east west and the wind is currently east west I can use my trailer to drop the quad of at one end, and then drive back to the other end. Then hunt into the wind and once I reach my quad and I’m tired I just jump on it and ride back to my Ute and trailer ..this way I avoid the waste of time hunting back with the breeze on my back. But if those creeks are running east west and the breeze is noth south ( cross wind) it’s better to walk up them and walk back them because I notice if I spook a boar off a creek he will wait ten mins until I keep walking up the creek then he will return because it’s so hot and other water I’s too far away. So u get another crack at him on the way back. I seen it many times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Dec 2021, 8:19 am

When I was younger all hunting was on foot. Then a bloke reaches the older fatter stage where he’ll use a quad for some of it. Later after there’s the fat hunter with arthritis stage where been riding the quad ove rough ground is too much hard work. I don’t visit my gorge country properties north of injunr for that reason. Favourite style Ideally is in the cooler months is no quad at all. 100 per cent walking into the breeze the whole way , no noise to spook game and I can fully immerse myself in the Bush and really focus on my search. But the country has got to hold lots of game for this to be successful....Then when I’m just About stuffed , turn around and do the long walk home with the breeze up my backside and hoping it will spin around. Alternatively I could , if the country were open enough and smooth enough I could quad it , see lots more game because I cover so much ground , but also spook at least 50 per cent of it. Can’t have my cake and eat it too. Speaking of food I’m a bit hungry. I got bugger all food to eat for the next two days. I’m too lazy to drive into town and my lamb has become too much of a pet so I can’t put him in the oven
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2021, 3:47 pm

Blr243 wrote:When I was younger all hunting was on foot. Then a bloke reaches the older fatter stage where he’ll use a quad for some of it. Later after there’s the fat hunter with arthritis stage where been riding the quad ove rough ground is too much hard work. I don’t visit my gorge country properties north of injunr for that reason. Favourite style Ideally is in the cooler months is no quad at all. 100 per cent walking into the breeze the whole way , no noise to spook game and I can fully immerse myself in the Bush and really focus on my search. But the country has got to hold lots of game for this to be successful....Then when I’m just About stuffed , turn around and do the long walk home with the breeze up my backside and hoping it will spin around. Alternatively I could , if the country were open enough and smooth enough I could quad it , see lots more game because I cover so much ground , but also spook at least 50 per cent of it. Can’t have my cake and eat it too. Speaking of food I’m a bit hungry. I got bugger all food to eat for the next two days. I’m too lazy to drive into town and my lamb has become too much of a pet so I can’t put him in the oven

i don't mind going for a slow quiet bushwalk . i would've covered 20 k's per day out at texas in april . it was just nice to pull up in the shade of a tree and take in the enviroment for a rest . after sitting still for a while you start to notice the birds then other critters moving around . hardly pulled a trigger that trip but it was good to be out bush :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Dec 2021, 5:02 pm

I found that hunting in New Zealand like that. Once u get up the top above the bush line , and above most of the tussock. Amongst the rocks and ice .... I called it thar country. It took many hours of climbing to get there but it was so worth it. I was so impatient during the climb up. I absolutely hated anything lower. All that low green chamois country. Def not for me The view up there of all the surrounding mountains scree and the valley floor below , was so amazing you could sit up there in the one spot all day and never get tired of the same view
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 25 Dec 2021, 5:53 pm

Blr243 wrote:I found that hunting in New Zealand like that. Once u get up the top above the bush line , and above most of the tussock. Amongst the rocks and ice .... I called it thar country. It took many hours of climbing to get there but it was so worth it. I was so impatient during the climb up. I absolutely hated anything lower. All that low green chamois country. Def not for me The view up there of all the surrounding mountains scree and the valley floor below , was so amazing you could sit up there in the one spot all day and never get tired of the same view

the high ridges on mt mackenzie tenterfeild are like that . i could just sit up there and look for hundreds of k's :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 25 Dec 2021, 10:18 pm

Rain on soggy blacksoil tracks has been preventing me from the very important job of checking the sheep troughs. Three or 4 times I have tried to send my drone ova there for a look but have run into one issue or another sso tounught I used my Ute to try to get there. I would never normally risk it but too late now. Bogged. Walked home barefoot for 4 kilometres ( minus 500 m for exaggerating) grabbed my quad big hammer and star pickets. Got out there again sloshing around in the mud with the mozzies and managed to eventually winch myself to dry ground but the dry track is incredibly narrow with wet slushy black soup of hell either side of me And I’m parked on the other side of the bog hole. When the owners return home tomorrow some time , they will know what to do and the best way to get me out of my predicame....I’ll remember this Christmas evening very well for quite a while. Sitting now beside my lamb and my dog , they have both been fed. And we have a very strong breeze keeping 98 percent of the mozzies ... away in a lazy recliner chair with a bundy and coke checking out the stars crickets chirping and frogs croaking I’ll sleep well tonight
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Dec 2021, 11:14 pm

Precisely why I like having a winch at the rear end of the vehicle.
All too often you are faced with the situation of having to pull yourself further in to the sh!t before you can get out of it.
Whereas a rear mounted winch can simply extricate yourself with limited fuss.
Alas,,,,,,, out of all the vehicles I've owned, there was only one that I did have both front and rear winches fitted up.

I just went through all my pics on file and have plenty of that particular ute,,,,,,, but not a single one that shows the rear mounted winch itself. :thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Dec 2021, 12:46 am

Last few months I have been thinking of weather it b worth having one on the back ? Now I’m convinced
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2021, 5:33 am

what about just taking a come-along ? more work yeah, but cheaper than a winch and you can use it anywhere
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Dec 2021, 9:03 am

I could handle a come along if it were only a 2 m distance I had to deal with. I’m going to fit a rear winch and don’t care if I ever end up useing it. Just knowing it’s there will make me more comfortable.... and I will take a come along to cape York next time just in case I have a winch electrical failure. Worth th insurance I think considering the distance to walk and the no phone reception..
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Dec 2021, 11:19 am

Dead right BLR.
Having one on the back also comes in very handy for pulling stuff up onto a trailer.
And, besides, Winches don't cost the earth these days either.
I was looking at one last week (brand new) 12,000 lb for just over $500

Bear in mind, to set one up on the rear properly, you'll need a 3rd battery at the rear coupled up with solenoids.
The one that I had set up had the battery in a rear under tray tool box,, and to prevent voltage drop between the front and rear I used
some brand new welding cable.
It worked very well.

I've still got the mounting box that the winch sits in that may save you time against having to make one if you need.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Dec 2021, 12:47 pm

Hi dj thanks for the offe r of box. I guess I will have to look at my mounting situation and work out if it will work or if I have to do something myself. I have plenty of welding and cutting gear and my sheet metal shop cuts and bends heavier duty stuff as well ...I would be lost without those blokes. For anyone in bris I highly recommend ENTERPRISE SHEET METAL MANUFACTURING. In rock lea Been useing them for maybe ten plus years great service ...I can’t look at my Ute rear to design the winch mounting at the moment because it’s in a padfock a few kilometres away surrounded by black sticky bogs. If I can’t get out and end up living here forever I certainly hope the hunting improves because I just can’t see myself happy shooting one cat every two weeks .... if I use real heavy duty 10 mm welding cable extensions on the factory cables is that enough for the rear mounted winch or is the extra battery at rear more suitable to ensure reliable functioning ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Dec 2021, 2:44 pm

Heh,,,,,,,, Yeah I was tempted to just run good quality welding cable from the front supply straight to the winch input cable/box.
But my auto sparky said I'd get better performance doing it the way he suggested.
Hey,,,,,,, I'm not an auto electrician,,, so we did it his way, and I never regretted it.
It saved me several times. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Dec 2021, 3:12 pm

Cool. I do have a really good auto electrician that I trust ...I believe that on modern computer intensive electrical systems if u do something a bit feral it can destroy on board electrics and cost thousands
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Dec 2021, 3:25 pm

:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Dec 2021, 7:40 pm

Recovery tracks are worth their weight in beer I reckon. Quick to give them a try, and can be used in reverse of course. No need to look for an anchor point either, which are not common in the middle of farm tracks.

I never go away without mine.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Dec 2021, 8:25 pm

GQshayne wrote:Recovery tracks are worth their weight in beer I reckon. Quick to give them a try, and can be used in reverse of course. No need to look for an anchor point either, which are not common in the middle of farm tracks.

MaxTrax in my experience aren't worth a pinch of sh!t.
I did have two pair, but the first time I used the first pair they just split and cracked.
And that was only to get my quad out of a mud hole,,,, and it doesn't weigh bugger all compared to a 4WD ute.

I keep the other pair plus two other different brand ones in the dog box,, and will only use them as an absolute last resort/emergency.
Considering what they cost I think they are vastly under engineered and something I wouldn't spend $$$ on ever again.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2021, 8:09 am

Blr243 wrote:Hi dj thanks for the offe r of box. I guess I will have to look at my mounting situation and work out if it will work or if I have to do something myself. I have plenty of welding and cutting gear and my sheet metal shop cuts and bends heavier duty stuff as well ...I would be lost without those blokes. For anyone in bris I highly recommend ENTERPRISE SHEET METAL MANUFACTURING. In rock lea Been useing them for maybe ten plus years great service ...I can’t look at my Ute rear to design the winch mounting at the moment because it’s in a padfock a few kilometres away surrounded by black sticky bogs. If I can’t get out and end up living here forever I certainly hope the hunting improves because I just can’t see myself happy shooting one cat every two weeks .... if I use real heavy duty 10 mm welding cable extensions on the factory cables is that enough for the rear mounted winch or is the extra battery at rear more suitable to ensure reliable functioning ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: ENTERPRISE :shock: YOUR JOKING . i was a apprentice ,and worked for them for 5 1/2 years ,when they started out in enterprise st salisbury . off evans rd .

i spent more time fixing the shop vehicle , a hx 308 sandman , than doing sheet metal . used to love going to job sites in that 308 4 speed sandman :D later it was pete smith's nitrous 302 cortina drag car . the cortina was originally road registered as a 4 cylinder and was owned by one of the installers . it was a real sleeper . this was in 1988-89 . more than one v8 commodore was in shock when a daggy orange cortina overtook them at 130mph with a 6 foot step ladder sticking out of the boot and tools in the back seat :lol: . i had a great apprenticeship :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Dec 2021, 8:35 am

An apprentice eh, bigrich?
Wouldn't ya just know it?!
Those stories about them that I've heard must be true then :lol: :crazy: ;) :lol:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2021, 9:43 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:An apprentice eh, bigrich?
Those stories about them that I've heard must be true then :lol: :crazy: ;) :lol:

it was pretty cool to be working with petrol heads . at one point the shop leading hand was a fella called ron holtz , he held the world record for a grey motor FJ in the 80's. 12.2's is stout for a grey motor . later on he ran quick red sixes . the "dixie chicken" was the name of his red FJ .probably still doing car stuff :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Dec 2021, 11:29 am

Small world. Rob owns it now I think. Not sure how long for ...saw 5 feral cats on the drive home that’s five more than I usually see slinking way into the roadside grass .....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Dec 2021, 2:17 pm

bigrich wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:An apprentice eh, bigrich?

it was pretty cool to be working with petrol heads . at one point the shop leading hand was a fella called ron holtz , he held the world record for a grey motor FJ in the 80's. 12.2's is stout for a grey motor . later on he ran quick red sixes . the "dixie chicken" was the name of his red FJ .probably still doing car stuff :D

"Working with petrol heads."
Sounds like you had a very good education then :) :thumbsup: Something a boy like me could only dream of.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 27 Dec 2021, 7:49 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
GQshayne wrote:Recovery tracks are worth their weight in beer I reckon. Quick to give them a try, and can be used in reverse of course. No need to look for an anchor point either, which are not common in the middle of farm tracks.

MaxTrax in my experience aren't worth a pinch of sh!t.
I did have two pair, but the first time I used the first pair they just split and cracked.
And that was only to get my quad out of a mud hole,,,, and it doesn't weigh bugger all compared to a 4WD ute.

I keep the other pair plus two other different brand ones in the dog box,, and will only use them as an absolute last resort/emergency.
Considering what they cost I think they are vastly under engineered and something I wouldn't spend $$$ on ever again.

You are the only person I have ever heard this comment from. I am very surprised. They are highly regarded by most people.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey