Rare Sabre tooth mosquitoes discovered cent Qld

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Rare Sabre tooth mosquitoes discovered cent Qld

Post by Blr243 » 11 Dec 2021, 9:49 pm

I just lobbed at my new hunting destination.... let’s just say I need to b careful not to damage my mozzie net ... these buggers are not just hungry. I’m sure they want to kill me. And with all the rain and floods around . There’s 37 zillion of them. Be aware of this if you are goin bush at the moment. I may have forgotten to pack my bushmans spray as I was in a hurry .... I sure I got something in the Ute. I’ll find out tomorrow
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Rare Sabre tooth mosquitoes discovered cent Qld

Post by Blr243 » 11 Dec 2021, 9:52 pm

Turns out I have internet service at my location. So if u thought it might be peaceful for a while without me. Think again ..
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2021, 6:08 am

Blr243 wrote:Turns out I have internet service at my location. So if u thought it might be peaceful for a while without me. Think again ..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: keep the updates of your trip coming . it gives us guys who can't get away some good travel stories :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Dec 2021, 8:53 am

Just as well they aren't Sawtooth mozzies.
They'd cut holes through yer mozzie nets and cut down ya tent poles for firewood. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Dec 2021, 9:08 am

So far they are those big scotch grey things ...I can hear them all hovering outside my net. The people out here are amazing. They are looking after me as if it’s Megan and Harry visiting their place. I’m very lucky , country looks good. Vegetation possibly a bit high to find pigs in some places. May have to zig zag thu paddocks into the wind hopefully diesel will pin point them for me. I strongly suspect all the people in the Bush out here are elated at the moment. No dust , soil with deep moisture content , stock feed lush and a stack of it as far as the eye can see. EASY STREET
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Dec 2021, 11:09 am

Blr243 wrote:So far they are those big scotch grey things ...I can hear them all hovering outside my net. The people out here are amazing. They are looking after me as if it’s Megan and Harry visiting their place. I’m very lucky , country looks good. Vegetation possibly a bit high to find pigs in some places. May have to zig zag thu paddocks into the wind hopefully diesel will pin point them for me. I strongly suspect all the people in the Bush out here are elated at the moment. No dust , soil with deep moisture content , stock feed lush and a stack of it as far as the eye can see. EASY STREET

With high rainfall cometh good growth,,,,, but also cometh the weeds. :thumbsdown:

So, good opportunity to put your Drone to work over the high feed. :thumbsup:

Those Scotch Greys can bite ya through jeans. (not kidding)
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Dec 2021, 11:55 am

Charging up my drone batteries as I type this, still swatting mozzies ..Still can’t get it together. Did a bit of bore sighting . Later will confirm poi in paddocks, then an afternoon hunt, dinner in my flash house, and then a quad bike thermal hunt .....my house has hot and cold water , shower. Kitchen dining table refrigerator tv( but no way in hell am I going to watch it ) been playing a bit of piano. It very peaceful out here , swatting more mozzies.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 12 Dec 2021, 12:05 pm

Got some diesel supply liberally all over your body and clothes... best anti mozzie repellent.

Ohh you need to light yourself on fire for full effect :lol:

Yes it was a joke
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Dec 2021, 2:30 pm

cz515 wrote:Got some diesel supply liberally all over your body and clothes... best anti mozzie repellent.

Ohh you need to light yourself on fire for full effect :lol:

Yes it was a joke

And,,,,,,,, after an excellent hunt,, that puts a whole new meaning to the saying "Your on fire" :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Dec 2021, 3:08 pm

Years ago I took my bow to a really poor hunting property at captains mountain near millmerran. Just for the weekend. Got my first rabbit , feral cat and a liveweight 100 kg boar. I was on fire that weekend
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Dec 2021, 3:10 pm

Years ago I took my bow to a really poor hunting property at captains mountain near millmerran. Just for the weekend. Got my first rabbit , feral cat and a liveweight 100 kg boar. I was on fire that weekend
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 12 Dec 2021, 5:25 pm

Another tip from cz515.

If you want a free haircut user plenty of petrol when lighting a fire.... if you just want the tree branches to burn use diesel
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Dec 2021, 7:14 pm

Blr243 wrote:Charging up my drone batteries as I type this, still swatting mozzies ..Still can’t get it together. Did a bit of bore sighting . Later will confirm poi in paddocks, then an afternoon hunt, dinner in my flash house, and then a quad bike thermal hunt .....my house has hot and cold water , shower. Kitchen dining table refrigerator tv( but no way in hell am I going to watch it ) been playing a bit of piano. It very peaceful out here , swatting more mozzies.

What! You play the piano!? :o
I would never have suspected :D :clap: :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Dec 2021, 10:01 pm

I effing love piano. A natural high. Went for a drive, nearly got bogged. Very hard to read the wet stretches of the tracks when they are so overgrown.... then went for long walk in the dark. Fair bit of moon about ..fed some mozzies. Wet my boots in bore drains and swamps. Saw bugger all. At one stage I must have spooked something ahead of me. I had the wind right. Something crashed away thru the scrub but then went silent I never did get a glimpse of what it was ....better luck tomorrow morning I suppose. I do need to spend a bit more time doin recon so I can plan better here for where I should be and at what time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Dec 2021, 12:03 am

Blr243 wrote: At one stage I must have spooked something ahead of me. I had the wind right. Something crashed away thru the scrub but then went silent I never did get a glimpse of what it was ....

That was most likely Pedro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the Jersey/Shorthorn scrubber :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

He can get pretty upset when strangers plod through his stomping grounds.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Dec 2021, 8:03 am

No Pedro here. Only 4 Weeners on the entire place look like bramahmns or drought master or something not sure. Slept in. Forgot to set my alarm took off on a rush pulled up at the edge of the patch of timber I was intent on working my way thru this morning , immediately found a nice natural waterhole fed from a small watercourse. It would be a great place to check for pigs when there is less water around .. the patch of timber was mostly loamy /red soil with scattered Wilga trees and buffel grass. Worked our way into the wind but only saw Roos and a small mob of goats. There are some big open grass paddocks here and the grass is long enough to to conceal, feeding, wandering, or camped pigs. Generally I don’t enjoy walking for hours on open country like this .,. I really prefer to only see a certain amount of ground in fron t of me so I don’t lose the “ I wonder what’s just round the corner factor “..... but I may have to. Perhaps on the 4 wheeler zigg zagging into the wind and hoping I hear a winge from my caged dog behind me ....I just have to work out where they are and how to get them .....I have not actually spent any time on the quad yet.on the quad with enough thermal scanning I should at least b able to pic up a cat or fox as I travel to the more piggy areas
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Dec 2021, 10:33 pm

Located a sow and suckers tonight but they were on the neighbours stubble paddock ... from a long way off they looked like they could have been on my place but upon closer inspection they were over the fence. I tried my pig calling app on my phone but the volume was insufficient....when I walked back to my quad I hooked up the Bluetooth speaker for more volume but then the extra distance was still a problem so as I type this they are probably feeding on that stubble paddock still ....good chance they will b there tomorrow night too. I let them be as I knew nothing off the relationship with the landowner next door. So better to just play safe and do the right thing. But if I can get in volume range tomorrow night I just might b able to coax them over to mine for a little visit. Smashed by mozzies again tonight. I was so busy watching those pigs in the binos that I let the mozzies go for broke. Those scotch greys get so fat with blood that when u quickly wipe down your arm to clear them your entire forearm feels wet with blood ..saw a few hares but I a,ways leave those little fellows alone
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Dec 2021, 10:46 pm

Located a sow and suckers tonight but they were on the neighbours stubble paddock ... from a long way off they looked like they could have been on my place but upon closer inspection they were over the fence. I tried my pig calling app on my phone but the volume was insufficient....when I walked back to my quad I hooked up the Bluetooth speaker for more volume but then the extra distance was still a problem so as I type this they are probably feeding on that stubble paddock still ....good chance they will b there tomorrow night too. I let them be as I knew nothing off the relationship with the landowner next door. So better to just play safe and do the right thing. But if I can get in volume range tomorrow night I just might b able to coax them over to mine for a little visit. Smashed by mozzies again tonight. I was so busy watching those pigs in the bins that I let the mozzies go for broke. Those scotch greys get so fat with blood that when u quickly wipe down your arm to clear them your entire forearm feels wet with blood ..saw a few hares but I a,ways leave those little fellows alone
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Dec 2021, 7:21 pm

My father recently bought a pig caller, just a lung powered one that cost about $25. We gave it a try at Charleville when we spotted a small sow with a few piglets.

Despite our efforts with the caller, the pigs did not even flinch! Of no use at all, but gave us a few laughs at its "effectiveness".
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2021, 11:03 am

I have one of those hand pipes too. Carried it in the field but not used it yet ....used just my mouth to call a small pig into bow range many years ago. But probably my favourite was calling a boar out of a patch of super thick and tall grass with my phone app ...I could hear a stack of pigs in there carrying on but had not yet seen them ...I selected my favourite sound , hit play , and two boars ran flat out straight to me with no hesitation ....I do confess u have to be really careful with the sounds you choose and how often u use it. There’s a very real chance u are just goin to scare them away
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 15 Dec 2021, 11:09 am

Yesterday afternoon I chose to sit on a waterhole hoping for something to visit for a drink or wallow. The resident mozzies were hoping I would visit too. I can tell by their reaction that they were very pleased to see me ....after a while I remembered a stack of water around the corner all flat and spread out so much easier for pigs to drink there so I upped and took of home early keen to get away from the mozzies. Saw no pigs on the stubble block either so called it a night
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2021, 9:13 am

Saw more pigs and a cat on the neighbors but they look pretty content there and prefer to stay on their side of the fence rather than come visit me and my rifle ...camped their on the boundary for a few hours last night but eventually got jack of it and headed back to base. There has been a ewe and lamb in the wrong paddock so I contacted the owners and it’s ok to leave them there they are away from the troughs but have a natural watercourse ....but then the ewe just took off god knows where so for too long I been worried about the lamb dying or getting eaten by something so I contacted the owners again and they gave me a couple of options. I chose the more intense option of taking it back to camp and bottle feeding it formula. That seems to be going real well , it now has pretty much a guarantee of survival I’ll just keep looking after it , and by the time the owners return from holidays it will probably ready to jump in the paddock with the other recently separated lambs ( mine was born much later ) ....I got email from a work customer appantly covid might be about to go nuts again in bris , something for me to look fwd to on my return. Yay !
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Dec 2021, 3:48 pm

Blr243 wrote: There has been a ewe and lamb in the wrong paddock so I contacted the owners and it’s ok to leave them there they are away from the troughs but have a natural watercourse ....but then the ewe just took off god knows where so for too long I been worried about the lamb dying or getting eaten by something so I contacted the owners again and they gave me a couple of options. I chose the more intense option of taking it back to camp and bottle feeding it formula. That seems to be going real well , it now has pretty much a guarantee of survival I’ll just keep looking after it , and by the time the owners return from holidays it will probably ready to jump in the paddock with the other recently separated lambs ( mine was born much later ) !

Hey Mate, as long as you are being a wet nurse for the lamb :lol: ,,,,, keep an eye on it and if it starts to develop the "scours",, before it gets real bad, do the following which will save its life.

Mix up the formula as you normally do, but before putting it in the feed bottle get a burning and well charcoaled stick/branch out of the camp fire and stir the milk with it.

You might have to strain out any chunks of charcoal before going in to the bottle. But it will stop the scours.
I used to do that with bottle fed calves,,, and it really does work.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 17 Dec 2021, 4:16 pm

Regards to Brisbane, good luck mate.

I just found it funny that Melbourne and Sydney people are taking off masks and QLD going to mandatory masks
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2021, 5:03 pm

Yeah I don’t know what’s going on in bris at the moment I spose I’ll deal with the covid situation when I get there ....thanks for the tip dj. So young does it need access to angry grass ? Or just formula. I got no idea about sheep. Not bottle fed a lamb for more than 40 years
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2021, 5:04 pm

Prob 2weeks old max I would say. Here’s a pic
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Dec 2021, 5:05 pm

Pic I hope
Attachments
7A5B4ADA-BFC1-4DB7-A7BE-BF36BF466D40.png
7A5B4ADA-BFC1-4DB7-A7BE-BF36BF466D40.png (147.63 KiB) Viewed 8802 times
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 17 Dec 2021, 5:09 pm

Is been a while with sheep. I think we have them the expensive powder milk. But afterwords someone said just cheapest powder even if human ones on special in Coles. With baby goats, we fed them the generic cheap cows milk (any brand) as per the recommendation. They came out pretty healthy. As long as they have had colostrum.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Dec 2021, 11:51 pm

Blr243 wrote:Yeah I don’t know what’s going on in bris at the moment I spose I’ll deal with the covid situation when I get there ....thanks for the tip dj. So young does it need access to angry grass ? Or just formula. I got no idea about sheep. Not bottle fed a lamb for more than 40 years

Mate, nature will do that part for you as long as Lil Lambie (have you named it after "Jaquie") the lamb has got access to grass,,,,,, it'll start eating when
its ready to do so.
And if your nice to it,,,,, and a good proxy MUM,,,,,, it'll follow you wherever you go. Just like a good shooting buddy. :lol:

Ohhhh,,,,,,,,,,, Your not a Kiwi are you ?? :silent: :unknown:

Edited to add,,,,,,,, Sheep can starve to death in a paddock full of "dense long" grass.
They browse on shorter stuff and do well.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 18 Dec 2021, 4:44 am

I just wanted to ask, what is angry grass....is it some grass verity in QLD, or like Hungry Jack's Angry Onions???
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey