Anyone getting hunting invites from Gumtree?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Anyone getting hunting invites from Gumtree?

Post by whert » 18 Apr 2014, 10:16 am

Seems every man and his dog is on there pitching 'free pest control'.

Doesn't take a genius to see it's shooters looking for properties to hunt on and dressing it up as pest control to try and get an invite from a farmer somewhere.

Anyone got or know of anyone getting an invite via gumtree?

Seems like just pissing into the wind to me...
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Anyone getting hunting invites from Gumtree?

Post by VICHunter » 18 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

Can't say from any facts but I seriously doubt it.

Anyone I know with a property that needs pet control is either licensed to do it themselves, or has no shortage of neighbours friends who are.

No need to go outside their own circles for it.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by huccl » 18 Apr 2014, 5:45 pm

TBH to ads are pretty transparent...

Anyone offering it for free obviously isn't in the 'business' of pest control.

Like you said, doesn't take a genius...
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 18 Apr 2014, 5:46 pm

Didn't say...

I'm with VICHunter as well. How many farmers do you do with a fox problem that aren't license shooters?
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 18 Apr 2014, 6:08 pm

I've recently had a bit of experience in this and (unsurprisingly) come up against some... I guess you'd call it prejudice (that might be too stronger word)? The stereotypical apprehension or discomfort some people have with shooters anyway, whatever you want to call it.

A while ago I found out a work-mate of mine had a hobby-farm/property here in Vic where they have sheep, cows etc. and the usual problems of foxes and rabbits. A few hundred acres.

This workmate and I have known each other for years, she knew I was into shooting and has no problem with it. She knows I go camping, hunting etc. I asked her if we could camp on the property and we would clean up a few of the foxes/rabbits for her. It's really her husbands hobby so she said she'd ask him which is fair enough.

Anyway, the answer came back that we could camp, but not shoot on the property. He has "a thing about guns" apparently. But here is the punchline...

They routinely have 4 blokes out on the property to do exactly what I was offering. *Unpaid*, but representing themselves as "professional".

I mentioned I'm licensed (obviously), an SSAA member with the public liability coverage etc. etc. More important she know's personally that I'm responsible and not an idiot. That didn't cut it for the husband though.

I don't know the husband at all, but he obviously has the picture in his head of me as some "gun toting amateur" while perceiving these other blokes as "professional". Dunno where the husband found them, but like Huccl said they're obviously not in the "business" pest control because they're doing it for free.

I know that sort of says people are getting invites, but I would think the vast majority are getting knocked back for the same reasons I was.

(I know that sounds like case of sour grapes but it's really not :lol: just stating the facts)

If you've got access to a property that's great, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for invites via GumTree. Get out and find your own spots in the forest IMO.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 18 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm

Or the husband knows the guys and lets them on because he works with one or more of them? or has just built up a relationship with them?

Why not go camping there take note of the state of fences, troughs, the amount of ferals around. and when you get back praise the place up, say you've fixed a strand of wire or two (there is always a wire down somewhere) drop off a bottle of wine/beer/bourbon as thanks and say that you would love to go camping there again if Ok.

After the second or third time mention the rabbits/foxes ect and see if the opinion has changed, at worst you get a few weekends away at best a place to shoot.
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 20 Apr 2014, 6:25 pm

TBH I'd rather spend my time in the forest chasing something I'll each.

The camping/shooting for us is obviously nice, but I thought I was doing him a favour as well by offering. If he was open to it great, if not... I'm sure as hell not going to work for the chance to clean up some ferals on *his* property...

It's his sheep that are taken by foxes, not my problem.

If he changes his mind, he knows where to find me. Otherwise he can get his own shooters license and do it himself.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 20 Apr 2014, 6:30 pm

Venison's better than rabbit ;)
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by whert » 20 Apr 2014, 6:30 pm

Mmm.

That's sort of what I expected Lorgar, but thanks.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey