NSW State Forest - Two Guns

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

NSW State Forest - Two Guns

Post by TheMuel » 12 Apr 2022, 3:05 pm

G'day All,

Saw a similar post here but wasn't the exact question.

I've got a 22WMR and a .308 and heading out for a 6 day hunt soon in a state forest.

I don't want to carry both rifles with me so,

A. Am I legally allowed to leave the rifle not in use locked in the car out of sight unattended whilst I'm out hunting

B. If not what other option do I have?

Cheers
TheMuel
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW State Forest - Two Guns

Post by Bugman » 12 Apr 2022, 5:03 pm

Have a look at the NSW Firearms Registry: Transportation of Firearms, then if you are still not sure, contact the registry.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Re: NSW State Forest - Two Guns

Post by Border_Bloke » 13 Apr 2022, 11:53 am

TheMuel wrote:A. Am I legally allowed to leave the rifle not in use locked in the car out of sight unattended whilst I'm out hunting

B. If not what other option do I have?

Cheers

According to the regs:
"At no time should a firearm be left stored unattended in a motor vehicle unless the firearms are stored in accordance with the requirements of category C, D & H firearms and no other alternative safe storage is available."

In other words:
A) If its left in the car then it has to be "temporarily incapable of being fired" (remove the bolt or fit a trigger lock) or must be "kept in a locked container that is properly secured to, or is within the vehicle".

B) The only other option would be to leave the other firearm at home or keep both firearms with you at all times.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey