Meat cleaning and prep after the kill.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Meat cleaning and prep after the kill.

Post by wrenchman » 30 May 2022, 3:19 am

i live in the u.s. yes it does make a difference in taste and long term storage i live in a colder area of the country so i can take my time
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JohnV » 10 Jun 2022, 11:04 pm

I always found that it was better to hang the skinned gutted and split into 4 sections ( beef ) carcass overnight so it sets up a bit and then cut it up into freezer parcels very early in the morning . In your neck of the woods the colder climate works for you in that regard . Butchery is not that hard if you can remember all the cuts and where they start and stop etc. I did a fair bit when I was younger when I worked on cattle stations but I would be rusty now . I built a database of butchering videos on Cattle , Pigs , Deer , Sheep so I can always bone up on it if needed , excuse the pun .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Jun 2022, 10:26 am

I'm with John, so much easier the butcher properly if the meat can set in a cooler rather than trying to take it apart when it is still warm and like jelly.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 12 Jun 2022, 9:15 am

Multi Posting ?
Last edited by JohnV on 12 Jun 2022, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 12 Jun 2022, 9:25 am

Double post
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 12 Jun 2022, 9:35 am

Multi posting ?
Last edited by JohnV on 12 Jun 2022, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 12 Jun 2022, 9:39 am

Multi Posting ?
Last edited by JohnV on 12 Jun 2022, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 12 Jun 2022, 9:41 am

JohnV wrote:
JohnV wrote:
JohnV wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:I'm with John, so much easier the butcher properly if the meat can set in a cooler rather than trying to take it apart when it is still warm and like jelly.

Yeah makes it way easier . We used to cut down the center spine with an electric chainsaw that had never seen any oil . Then I would cut into 4 parts between the second and third rib so it left more on the T bone . Makes it easier to handle later in a cool room because if you have to cut a side in half in the cool room the forequarter on a big steer is heavy and easy to drop on the floor . You can cut to the spine and then hook the foreleg up on the rail and then cut the spine but it's still hard work . Then it's not hanging the best way to do the forequarter cuts so you have to hook it again in the second rib and reverse the hang .
Sheep are way easier and you can split the spine in the cool room and do all the cuts with the sheep on the block or just cut across all the right places on the whole carcass and split the sections with a hand saw . Which is the way I liked to do it because it's easy to run off center on the spine of a sheep while hanging . I eventually learnt to run a knife cut down the center first as a guide but it was hard work and easy to make a mess of it . Anything I screwed up would go into my meat share so the boss never saw it ha ha.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey