Range roos are shot at

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Range roos are shot at

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2022, 4:59 pm

To get back on topic, roo’s are shot out to a limit of 200 meters with no lesser than a 222 , in the head,and a permit to do so. End of story
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 5:14 pm

bigrich wrote:
it still won't change the end result . any bad publicity for any form of hunting results in knee jerk reaction from politicians . whether it's right or wrong for the majority for hunters who do the right thing . look at what's happened to victorian duck hunting . such is the modern facebook/political correct/woke world we now live in :cry:leftists and anti gun people troll websites like this one looking for bad form . there were some strange new members on this forum asking some odd questions a few years ago :unknown:

I agree mate and part of the problem is you cant stop criminals by making yourself behave better. :) If someone keeps bad shooting, trespassing, poaching, or breaking in and ripping off gun safes ( and they will) and you say this is going to remove our rights for shooting regardless, well we are stuffed. :)

Good news is that while the average Aussie gunowner doesnt spend a lot of time lobbying for his rights there are a lot who do. Most dont realise there are anti-gun ideas or even bills always coming out and we do have some wins. :thumbsup:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 19 Jun 2022, 5:23 pm

bigrich wrote:To get back on topic, roo’s are shot out to a limit of 200 meters with no lesser than a 222 , in the head,and a permit to do so. End of story

Yes and I got an idea of the range the roo shooters shoot at usually , which was actually the main aim of the thread.

Thanks all
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 19 Jun 2022, 5:51 pm

mickb wrote:
bigrich wrote:To get back on topic, roo’s are shot out to a limit of 200 meters with no lesser than a 222 , in the head,and a permit to do so. End of story

Yes and I got an idea of the range the roo shooters shoot at usually , which was actually the main aim of the thread.

Thanks all

With a minimum of .222 and 50gr bullet. Or a .204 and 40gr.
One of the places I shoot the roos are often at 150-200 and windy across the open paddocks. That when I put the .223 away and out comes the heavy .243 or 25/06. Average ranges vary depending on the country.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 19 Jun 2022, 6:34 pm

animalpest wrote:
mickb wrote:

Thanks all

With a minimum of .222 and 50gr bullet. Or a .204 and 40gr.
One of the places I shoot the roos are often at 150-200 and windy across the open paddocks. That when I put the .223 away and out comes the heavy .243 or 25/06. Average ranges vary depending on the country.

thanks AP, another useful bit of practical information from you , . :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 19 Jun 2022, 6:38 pm

To be clear nobody should be shooting roos unless they have signed a permit to cull document. which you have to apply for and be interviewed at the property where the shooting is proposed. A shooter can not just go and shoot roos on the say so of a farmer or property owner. The shooter must sign onto the permit and know all the conditions and carry a copy of the signed permit with him at all times when shooting.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by animalpest » 19 Jun 2022, 7:48 pm

Larry wrote:To be clear nobody should be shooting roos unless they have signed a permit to cull document. which you have to apply for and be interviewed at the property where the shooting is proposed. A shooter can not just go and shoot roos on the say so of a farmer or property owner. The shooter must sign onto the permit and know all the conditions and carry a copy of the signed permit with him at all times when shooting.

Only in some States. In WA you can shoot roos without a permit.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 19 Jun 2022, 8:55 pm

Larry wrote:To be clear nobody should be shooting roos unless they have signed a permit to cull document. which you have to apply for and be interviewed at the property where the shooting is proposed. A shooter can not just go and shoot roos on the say so of a farmer or property owner. The shooter must sign onto the permit and know all the conditions and carry a copy of the signed permit with him at all times when shooting.

What is your location to provide such advice for Australia?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by geoff » 19 Jun 2022, 10:35 pm

Big fat wrong here bucko. I love it when heroes on the internet think that whatever applies to them must apply to everyone else as well
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Boundry Rider » 20 Jun 2022, 12:20 am

... and there it is as I said thIs thread just gets more and more interesting.

Larry where was it that set you on this path to clarity?
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2022, 4:33 am

geoff wrote:

Big fat wrong here bucko. I love it when heroes on the internet think that whatever applies to them must apply to everyone else as well

Good point. In Queensland where I live and hunt, you need to be on a permit. Personally, I’m not into shooting roos. It’s a necessary job that needs to be done at times. My main targets of spotlighting are cats, foxes and wabbits. Which as well as roos, is the right game for 223 imho. Which state are you in mate that you don’t need a permit for roo culling? And I don’t consider myself a “internet hero “ when I post, I naturally consider what’s relevant to me where I live :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Jun 2022, 7:43 am

bigrich wrote:
geoff wrote:

Good point. In Queensland where I live and hunt, you need to be on a permit. Personally, I’m not into shooting roos. It’s a necessary job that needs to be done at times. My main targets of spotlighting are cats, foxes and wabbits. Which as well as roos, is the right game for 223 imho. Which state are you in mate that you don’t need a permit for roo culling? And I don’t consider myself a “internet hero “ when I post, I naturally consider what’s relevant to me where I live :thumbsup:

In WA there are certain zones where you don't need a permit,but you still need to abide the code of practice and its still a legal requirement to abide by it. I've been down this rabbit hole before lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2022, 10:13 am

I think this whole damn Internet forum thing is a rabbit hole Pete..... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jun 2022, 1:55 pm

If we not careful blackened may toss a stick of dynamite down this rabbit hole
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Jun 2022, 3:38 pm

Blr243 wrote:If we not careful blackened may toss a stick of dynamite down this rabbit hole

:lol: i don't reckon things aren't out of hand, but i think the topic has run it's coarse :P

stick of dynamite to sort out wabbits would be interesting but BLR . your not related to wylie coyote are you ? crate load of TNT from ACME ..... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Jun 2022, 3:58 pm

bigrich wrote:
Blr243 wrote:If we not careful blackened may toss a stick of dynamite down this rabbit hole

:lol: i don't reckon things aren't out of hand, but i think the topic has run it's coarse :P

stick of dynamite to sort out wabbits would be interesting but BLR . your not related to wylie coyote are you ? crate load of TNT from ACME ..... :lol:

Or a big rock off a cliff lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Pendous » 20 Jun 2022, 4:11 pm

Extract from
Volunteer Non-Commercial Kangaroo Shooting Best Practice Guide for NSW
which is found here
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/826988/Volunteer-Non-Commercial-Kangaroo-Shooters-Best-Practice-Guide.pdf
Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 15-51-19 Volunteer Non-Commercial Kangaroo Shooters Best Practice Guide - Volunteer-Non-Commercial-Kangaroo-Shooters-Best-Practice-Guide.pdf.png
Screenshot 2022-06-20 at 15-51-19 Volunteer Non-Commercial Kangaroo Shooters Best Practice Guide - Volunteer-Non-Commercial-Kangaroo-Shooters-Best-Practice-Guide.pdf.png (94.63 KiB) Viewed 5879 times

Similar chart appears in the
National Code of Practice for the Humane Shooting of Kangaroos and Wallabies for Non-Commercial Purposesfound here
https://www.awe.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/code-conduct-non-commercial.pdf

Further information for NSW Non-Commercial, permits etc found here
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/volunteer-non-commercial-kangaroo-shooting
Pendous
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jun 2022, 5:58 pm

No relation to Wyllie coyote I leave rabbits and hares alone. I often see the same pairs of hares in very similar spots when thermal shooting off my quad. We sort of know each other and they are not afraid of me because they know I just cruise on past and leave them alone ... typing dynamite made me feel old. If they still blow up warrens I suspect there’s a more modern product
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 20 Jun 2022, 7:32 pm

mickb wrote:Never said shooting any animal in the butt with anything but a bullet, nice try though ;). As per earlier in the thread I meant this as the running away shot on game. Perfectly legal, at least in 2 states I hunt, and a valid one for very large game.

Never said you did, your comment was vague and therefore so was my reply

A running away shot maybe be legal or may not be legal depends on a number of factors.

mickb wrote:Some of the comments about big game archery being the lowest point of ethics are pure garbage. But again, archers dont care two hoots with rifle hunters think anyway.

Ethically bow hunting is not considered highly as most people would consider it a less humane way to kill animals compared to shooting them. But on the flip side, most people don't know how their meat is treated or killed, to them meat comes packaged from the supermarket and little thought given to what happened before this beyond an ethical trust.

Then we could start on halal meats and why its OK because its religion based.

But that leads into an ethics discussion on "ought".
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 20 Jun 2022, 9:31 pm

Im picking your the forum kid. The discussion is done but have fun semanticizing old posts.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 20 Jun 2022, 11:10 pm

Fionn wrote:
mickb wrote:Never said shooting any animal in the butt with anything but a bullet, nice try though ;). As per earlier in the thread I meant this as the running away shot on game. Perfectly legal, at least in 2 states I hunt, and a valid one for very large game.

A running away shot maybe be legal or may not be legal depends on a number of factors.

mickb wrote:Some of the comments about big game archery being the lowest point of ethics are pure garbage. But again, archers dont care two hoots with rifle hunters think anyway.

Ethically bow hunting is not considered highly as most people would consider it a less humane way to kill animals compared to shooting them. But on the flip side, most people don't know how their meat is treated or killed, to them meat comes packaged from the supermarket and little thought given to what happened before this beyond an ethical trust.

Fionn, you confuse "ethics" with "animal welfare". A common mistake.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 21 Jun 2022, 9:38 am

animalpest wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Fionn, you confuse "ethics" with "animal welfare". A common mistake.

You're the one that seems to be confused as I have not discussed animal welfare at all.

That aside, people’s perceptions about animal welfare are driven by their ethical views on the matter so I don't understand how you believe I or others could confused ethics with animal welfare, as it doesn't make logical sense to say this unless you don't understand what these terms mean.

Leaving aside that I didn't talk about animal welfare, please explain how I am confusing ethics and animal welfare.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 21 Jun 2022, 9:41 am

mickb wrote:Im picking your the forum kid. The discussion is done but have fun semanticizing old posts.

Or you could just man up and say you misread my post. :unknown:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 21 Jun 2022, 10:10 am

Apologies Fionn if I have though you commented on ethics.

While ethics is important, it is the persons view of hunting/killing. If you like, it is inclusive of their moral view. That is not animal welfare.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Billo » 21 Jun 2022, 2:21 pm

Years before this shoot em in the brain for a human kill stuff, my favorite all time roo medicine was a 180gr SP at 2800fps out of the 358 win, Energy dump at close range would absolutely flatten em. ;)
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 21 Jun 2022, 8:41 pm

animalpest wrote:Apologies Fionn if I have though you commented on ethics.

While ethics is important, it is the persons view of hunting/killing. If you like, it is inclusive of their moral view. That is not animal welfare.

Unlike Fionn himelf who mis-interpreted my comments just a page back and when I pulled him up he went on to explain he'd answered my vagueness with further vagueness of his own or some such rubbish. :crazy:

manning up, as he said, really is only for men :thumbsup:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Fionn » 28 Jun 2022, 5:35 pm

mickb wrote:Unlike Fionn himelf who mis-interpreted my comments just a page back and when I pulled him up he went on to explain he'd answered my vagueness with further vagueness of his own or some such rubbish. :crazy:

I didn't misinterpret your comments, you just thought I did.

When I pointed it out, you had a little hissy fit with a Ad hominem attack and trying to shut down the discussion.

For you reference.

mickb wrote:Im picking your the forum kid. The discussion is done but have fun semanticizing old posts.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 28 Jun 2022, 5:40 pm

animalpest wrote:Apologies Fionn if I have though you commented on ethics.

No problems mate, I have enjoyed reading you considered comments on the topic.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 30 Jun 2022, 12:16 am

Fionn wrote:
mickb wrote:Unlike Fionn himelf who mis-interpreted my comments just a page back and when I pulled him up he went on to explain he'd answered my vagueness with further vagueness of his own or some such rubbish. :crazy:

When I pointed it out, you had a little hissy fit with a Ad hominem attack and trying to shut down the discussion.

For you reference.

My opinion hasnt changed. :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Fionn » 30 Jun 2022, 11:24 am

mickb wrote:
Fionn wrote:

For you reference.

My opinion hasnt changed. :lol:

Hasn't changed about what? :unknown:

It's a nonsensical statement how you have written it!

Is English your second language? As you seem to really struggle with it.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey