Range roos are shot at

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Range roos are shot at

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2022, 6:51 pm

You fellas culling , shooting on permit or pro shooting roos, what are the most common ranges you hit them. Also is 200m a max for every state shooting them?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Range roos are shot at

Post by bigpete » 16 Jun 2022, 7:14 pm

Yes its every state.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 16 Jun 2022, 8:13 pm

Under 50m for me on my farm, IMO if you need to shoot them 100-200m away, there isn't that many of them.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 16 Jun 2022, 8:46 pm

Most shooters are limited by the power of their spotlight and the light gathering ability of their scope while shooting roos at night .
A good strong light and a good quality scope with a heart shot you could hit them as far away as you can see them and hold steady . I was culling roos with a farmer one night , he was on the light and I caught a glimpse of eyes way out across a crop . I said swing that light back just there and through the scope I could see a roo on the other side only just visible . I held right on his head knowing at that range it would drop quiet a bit . Down he went , but the farmer could not see the roo at all , he reckoned I was tripping . Anyway we kept driving and eventually got right around to the other side and there the roo was , high chest shot . The farmer just said bugger me that was a good shot . We looked back across the crop and the farmer said that is about 500 meters across that section .
I was using my Sako 22-250 varmint with a Leupold Vx111 on 10 power . ( pre code of conduct ) So if you have the right gear and are a good shot you can drop them at 200 meters with a head shot
Most roos under a light are head shot at about 90 to 150 meters .
Last edited by JohnV on 17 Jun 2022, 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 16 Jun 2022, 10:14 pm

If you're shooting them anywhere other than the head or over 200m you're breaking the law....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 16 Jun 2022, 10:20 pm

Screenshot_20220616-214816_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20220616-214816_Samsung Internet.jpg (195.47 KiB) Viewed 5581 times

Look this up,read it,and understand that it covers any situation that you're legally able to shoot macropods.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2022, 12:33 am

bigpete wrote:If you're shooting them anywhere other than the head or over 200m you're breaking the law....

Depends when he was culling them in relation to the current laws.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2022, 12:54 am

JohnV wrote: meters .
. Most roos under a light are head shot at about 90 to 150 meters .

Cheers JohnV, 90-150 meters then.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 17 Jun 2022, 3:19 am

mickb wrote:
bigpete wrote:If you're shooting them anywhere other than the head or over 200m you're breaking the law....

Depends when he was culling them in relation to the current laws.

No,it doesn't matter where he was culling them as its a nation wide code of practice which becomes legally binding once you undertake the culling. A matter of WHEN he was culling them may be more relevant. Obviously that code of practice started at some point,although I'm not sure exactly when,but it was relevant when I was a teenager some 25 years ago
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2022, 8:34 am

You might want to re-read what I said AND you quoted.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Boundry Rider » 17 Jun 2022, 8:51 am

This thread will get interesting...

I shoot 50-200Y with a .223. Won’t shoot further due to ‘roo legislation.
Without legislation I would shoot further with the 7MAG chest/ high spine shot culling.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 17 Jun 2022, 9:32 am

mickb wrote:You might want to re-read what I said AND you quoted.

My apologies,I thought you said where not when
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 17 Jun 2022, 9:43 am

I did most of my roo culling before any codes of conduct were printed . For non commercial shooting now it appears that they have removed the heart shot and it's only a brain shot at no more than 200 meters which is ridiculous for pest culling as they are applying professional standards to many armature shooters .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 17 Jun 2022, 9:49 am

double post
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 17 Jun 2022, 9:52 am

That was way before any code of conduct .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by geoff » 17 Jun 2022, 12:01 pm

JohnV wrote:I did most of my roo culling before any codes of conduct were printed . For non commercial shooting now it appears that they have removed the heart shot and it's only a brain shot at no more than 200 meters which is ridiculous for pest culling as they are applying professional standards to many armature shooters .

I fully support amateur shooters having to comply with the Code. We all should. Ethical killing should be our #1 priority.

Unfortunately there's really no recourse for weekend warriors who go round gut shooting every doe they can find with a dependent joey at foot. They tarnish everyone who does the right thing.

The reality is that chest shooting roos is way too hit and miss, pardon the pun. They're not deer. They absolutely should be headshot if you want to be reliable and the fact that commercial harvesters do it all night every night is just proof that it can be done. If you can't headshoot roos, you shouldn't be doing it.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 17 Jun 2022, 12:40 pm

geoff wrote:
JohnV wrote:I did most of my roo culling before any codes of conduct were printed . For non commercial shooting now it appears that they have removed the heart shot and it's only a brain shot at no more than 200 meters which is ridiculous for pest culling as they are applying professional standards to many armature shooters .

I fully support amateur shooters having to comply with the Code. We all should. Ethical killing should be our #1 priority.

Unfortunately there's really no recourse for weekend warriors who go round gut shooting every doe they can find with a dependent joey at foot. They tarnish everyone who does the right thing.

The reality is that chest shooting roos is way too hit and miss, pardon the pun. They're not deer. They absolutely should be headshot if you want to be reliable and the fact that commercial harvesters do it all night every night is just proof that it can be done. If you can't headshoot roos, you shouldn't be doing it.

I heart shot is ethical killing . So what about it being legal to kill a wounded roo by crushing his head with a steel bar . Is that more ethical than a heart shot from a suitable rifle ? That is just not right about a chest shot being unreliable . I have seen many messed up head shots and roos running off injured . A chest shot with a 223 using a hollow point style bullet and they will go down every time . The laws for non commercial shooters are not a bout humane culling , they are about making it as hard as possible irrespective of what's humane and what's not . I can head shoot roos all night if I wanted to .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 17 Jun 2022, 3:54 pm

JohnV wrote:
geoff wrote:

I heart shot is ethical killing . So what about it being legal to kill a wounded roo by crushing his head with a steel bar . Is that more ethical than a heart shot from a suitable rifle ? That is just not right about a chest shot being unreliable . I have seen many messed up head shots and roos running off injured . A chest shot with a 223 using a hollow point style bullet and they will go down every time . The laws for non commercial shooters are not a bout humane culling , they are about making it as hard as possible irrespective of what's humane and what's not . I can head shoot roos all night if I wanted to .

I agree with what has said by Geoff.
Yes, heart shooting is ethical. But chest shooting is not as "ethical". (ethical is the wrong word - try using humane instead).
To "kill a wounded roo by crushing his head with a steel bar" is humane if there are no better more humane alternatives. I simply shoot them again.
"A chest shot with a 223 using a hollow point style bullet and they will go down every time" is correct most times, but it doesn't mean they will drop on the spot as some will take some time to expire.
" The laws for non commercial shooters are not a bout humane culling , they are about making it as hard as possible...". Nope, If its too tough or too hard to do, then stop doing it. The laws are about doing the right thing by the animal.

So, here is some data on a recent kangaroo cull with roos shot in the brain using a .223 -
animals rendered immediately insensible - 98.93%
not rendered immediately insensible and killed by blunt trauma - 0.0021%

So back to the original question - distance kangaroos are shot depends on topography, size of the property, number of roos there etc. They will be no more than 200m though. My average would be about 70-80m, with distances from 30m to 180m.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2022, 9:09 pm

Thanks fellas for the range info. So you fellas are shooting from quite close at times as welll. As to legislation Im probably with JohnV. I'm in the camp that if we can hunt most any other sort of game from any angle, range, firearm, bodypart aiming mark no reason I can see kangaroos should be any more special.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jun 2022, 9:47 pm

animalpest wrote:So, here is some data on a recent kangaroo cull with roos shot in the brain using a .223 -
not rendered immediately insensible and killed by blunt trauma - 0.0021%.

Obviously I haven't shot a fraction of the roos you would have.
Personally, I can only remember one roo that took a head shot and didn't die instantly. It was the very reason I went out and bought a .223
It was a shot that wasn't perfectly placed, it went through his forehead and gave the poor old bugger a frontal lobotomy... left him just standing there staring into space before a quick follow up shot.
Couppled with the poor placement, the .243 with the 100g heavy jacketed projectiles had no change to transfer much of their energy into the head.
I could have developed another load but though a .223 made more sense.
Iv been extremely impressed with the. 223's ability to transfer all its energy to a roos head.
Occasionally they literally pop, you couldn't design a better round for the job.

Seeing animals suffer is a massive turn off for me, it really makes for a very unpleasant shoot and it leaves me laying in bed at night thinking about it.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 17 Jun 2022, 10:24 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
animalpest wrote:So, here is some data on a recent kangaroo cull with roos shot in the brain using a .223 -
not rendered immediately insensible and killed by blunt trauma - 0.0021%.

Obviously I haven't shot a fraction of the roos you would have.
Personally, I can only remember one roo that took a head shot and didn't die instantly. It was the very reason I went out and bought a .223
It was a shot that wasn't perfectly placed, it went through his forehead and gave the poor old bugger a frontal lobotomy... left him just standing there staring into space before a quick follow up shot.
Couppled with the poor placement, the .243 with the 100g heavy jacketed projectiles had no change to transfer much of their energy into the head.
I could have developed another load but though a .223 made more sense.
Iv been extremely impressed with the. 223's ability to transfer all its energy to a roos head.
Occasionally they literally pop, you couldn't design a better round for the job.

Seeing animals suffer is a massive turn off for me, it really makes for a very unpleasant shoot and it leaves me laying in bed at night thinking about it.

I had something similar happen using a 308 one night,the bullet went behind both eyes yet didn't damage the brain enough to kill it outright,something I'd never have thought possible prior
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 18 Jun 2022, 12:37 am

Yeah, one night many years ago I shot a roo, took both eyes out and he hopped around blind. 25/06 with 90gr Sierra HP. Now using 75gr V-Max they dont have a head.

Mickb, most people overestimate the range they are shooting roos at night. Varying size roos doesn't help range estimation.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2022, 7:36 am

in my meagre experience a 55 vmax turned roo brains to porridge out of my 1-12 twist 222.exceptionally accurate projectile .a mate was range finding for me out to 200 and holding the light .helps to be able to concentrate just on shooting. i was set up on the bonnet shooting over crops , so very accurate shots .out of 19 animals only one needed a follow up . that one was spined , couldn't move but conscious .was quickly dispatched , i don't like to see them suffering either . old farmer mate was glad they were off his crops and his blue dogs got a nice feed . waste not , want not :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 18 Jun 2022, 10:29 am

animalpest wrote:
Mickb, most people overestimate the range they are shooting roos at night. Varying size roos doesn't help range estimation.

The overestimating thing is so true. Can't believe the amount of times I've been out with a so called expert who brags they shoot stuff out to 4-500m,only to show them that that fox we just shot that they reckon was 300m away was actually only 150....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 18 Jun 2022, 11:41 am

I'm too lazy to shoot any even close to those ranges, having to check everyone at 200m I'd be routed after an hour
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 18 Jun 2022, 11:42 am

Yep, most professional roo shooters use a .223. (and most are only occasional weekend shooters). When I have put up the target at 100 for competency testing, plenty have said they thought that was a lot further than 100m.

My .222 is sighted in for 180. If I miss, it's not the rifles fault!
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jun 2022, 2:22 pm

animalpest wrote:Yeah, one night many years ago I shot a roo, took both eyes out and he hopped around blind. 25/06 with 90gr Sierra HP. Now using 75gr V-Max they dont have a head.

In my experience the 75gr Vmax or BT in 25/06 is the only round that reliably takes off the head.

But I'm not a pro.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jun 2022, 2:25 pm

geoff wrote:

Them weekend warriors, shooting doe roos in the guts?

Are there any here on this forum, because plenty of the fox photos seem to have the entrails hanging out.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jun 2022, 2:39 pm

mchughcb wrote:Them weekend warriors, shooting doe roos in the guts?

Are there any here on this forum, because plenty of the fox photos seem to have the entrails hanging out.

Where the bullet comes out may be totally irrelevant to where it went in. I've seen lots and lots of deer pics where the bullet has come out down in the intestines, I don't make an assumption that that's where they were shot though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 18 Jun 2022, 3:39 pm

The ethics debate gets silly pretty quick.

I can kill game to any distance I like with any angle and calibre, fire shotshells not knowing if the ones that got away absorbed stray pellets( and a lot would), rear end shoot an animal running away, let 3 dogs chew heck out of a pigs face until I arrive with a knife to stab it a few times.

And if I'm unlucky one hooks the dog under the breastplate( or maybe just a collar on the dogs, also legal) and Fido is there with their guts spilling out and I say, Sorry Fido you knew what you were getting into when you joined up.... Oh no thats right you were drafted into the Human-pig conflict. :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey