9.3x62mm "the perfect deer round"

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

9.3x62mm "the perfect deer round"

Post by mikor » 28 Apr 2014, 7:29 pm

G'day guys,

I'm new to shooting at looking at getting a hunting rifle for hunting in Victoria.

Everything up to Sambar deer of course.

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand Sako in 9.3x62mm from a mate. My worry is honestly that this is a bit too much gun for me.

I've been to my local gun store too and asked about this, the guy was happy to show me .308's and that kind of stuff but did say he thought the 9.3x62mm was "the perfect deer round".

What do you guys think? I know minimum legal calibre is a lot smaller, but I want to hunt humanely too as I'm sure we all do.

What do you think of the 9.3x62mm vs some smaller more gentle recoil calibres?

Many thanks.
M
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 9.3x62mm "the perfect deer round"

Post by Michael63 » 28 Apr 2014, 8:16 pm

Sounds like your worried about recoil of this Sako already.

Go for something smaller like a .308 etc. and enjoy shooting it.

Bullet placement is more important than size.
Michael63
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by headspace » 28 Apr 2014, 9:11 pm

Mate I think the 9.3 is a bit over gunned for Deer, even Sambah.

A 308 with 168gn Sierra Game Kings or Nosler Partition bullets would do the job. You could go up to a 30-06 if you want just a little more knock down power.

I've been investigating the idea of the 9.3 but I was going to use it on Buffalo. The recoil is in the order of 36.5ft/lb.

JD.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 28 Apr 2014, 10:37 pm

Sounds like your local gun salesman has one he's not keen to shoot again.

Sounds like a bit of overkill to me too, usually when they feel the need to call something a "dangerous game round" it should serve as a warning for your shoulder, 'cause shooting more than a round or two at the range is a "dangerous game"

A 30-06 should be enough for any Sambar if you do your part and I dare say it'd be a damn sight cheaper to shoot.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 29 Apr 2014, 6:41 am

I like mine, it is a bit of over kill but it kills really emphatically. Recoil is fairly stout but not unmanageable.

I'd say it would be way too much for fallow deer and I'd only get one if you reload. I plan on taking it to NT as well.

The reason I bought mine is I was using 30-06 with 180 grainers to hunt Sambar, and 150s to hunt fallow and reds. I was sick of re-sighting my scope each time, so I bought another rifle.

I could have bought a 270 or 260 or something smaller for fallow and stuck with 30-06 for Sambar but I liked the idea of the 9.3mm. It is a great cartridge and works really well, particularly if you don't like 300WM or 338WM levels of recoil.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by mikor » 29 Apr 2014, 1:50 pm

Michael63 wrote:Sounds like your worried about recoil of this Sako already.

That's part of it, yeah.

Don't want to get something that I'll be flinching with all the time and not like shooting.
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mikor » 29 Apr 2014, 1:56 pm

Chronos wrote:A 30-06 should be enough for any Sambar if you do your part and I dare say it'd be a damn sight cheaper to shoot.

I dunno about costs just yet but that's what I was thinking too.

I know the .270 is the minimum here, and above that I could with a .308 like Michael said, or a 30-06 and still be better off than shooting the 9.3x62mm.

I'm not a big guy anyway and I'm a new shooter, cost aside I think it will just be too much for me. If there is no need for a 30-06 then a .308 would be even better I guess.
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 29 Apr 2014, 2:01 pm

I'd say the guy was over stating it a bit to call the 9.3x62mm the "perfect" round.

Like Yoshie said...

yoshie wrote:it is a bit of over kill but it kills really emphatically.

It will definitely take any deer, including big Sambar with authority. In that sense your LGS was correct.

But it can also be done with smaller .30 cals or .270 as you mentioned.

The right bullet and shot placement and a .270 or .30 will do the job humanely like you'd want.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Broom » 29 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

mikor wrote:I'm not a big guy anyway and I'm a new shooter, cost aside I think it will just be too much for me. If there is no need for a 30-06 then a .308 would be even better I guess.

It's definitely a big cartridge for a new shooter.

I'd put my vote in for a .308 for you too I think. Cheaper, more available, less recoil... Blah blah blah.

Yoshie has some reasons to have one as a dedicated Sambar rifle and for taking it up north. I can't see any advantage for you though...
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Lyam » 29 Apr 2014, 2:06 pm

headspace wrote:The recoil is in the order of 36.5ft/lb.

Compared to about 17ft/lb for your average .308 I think.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mikor » 29 Apr 2014, 2:07 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll give the 9.3 a miss.

Sounds like something like a .308 will be a smarter choice. I will look more into this level of things.
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Broom » 01 May 2014, 7:25 am

That's a wise move IMO.

Honestly a .308 will be plenty. Don't worry about it ;)
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Swarm » 01 May 2014, 8:08 pm

mikor wrote:Sounds like something like a .308 will be a smarter choice. I will look more into this level of things.

One thing to keep in mind is twist for heavier pills.

I'm not suggesting the .308 is underpowered, but if you get something with a faster twist you'll have the option to shoot the heaviest bullets. If you feel the need or want to give them a go.

There's not much a 180gr or 200gr Game King won't put down with authority.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by mikor » 01 May 2014, 8:09 pm

Thanks Swarm.

Haven't got around back to looking at this yet but will definitely be aware of that.

Heading to the LGS this weekend hopefully.
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Swarm » 02 May 2014, 1:24 pm

No worries.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 21 May 2014, 10:11 pm

Yeah as everyone has said, for a new shooter i'd give it a miss. In saying that, in Europe it is the go to calibre for a LOT of pig and deer hunters.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 22 May 2014, 9:54 am

Defiantly one to work up to tho, especially if you get into reloading. I find its recoil 'large' kind of like a 45-70, but not 'snappy' like a 300WM
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikor » 22 May 2014, 10:39 am

Thanks for the continued info guys.

Still making my mind up but definitely gone away from the 9.3x62 now.

7mm, .308, 30-06, something in that range will end up being the one.
mikor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusC » 22 May 2014, 10:40 am

Any of those comfortably do the business hunting in Victoria.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 22 May 2014, 11:50 am

AusC wrote:Any of those comfortably do the business hunting in Victoria.

Yup !
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by handofcod » 22 May 2014, 2:45 pm

yoshie wrote:Defiantly one to work up to tho, especially if you get into reloading. I find its recoil 'large' kind of like a 45-70, but not 'snappy' like a 300WM

I have to admit that my experience with different rifles is very limited but I found the difference between my 308 scout and a Tikka 300WM shooting 180gr factory ammo to be fairly close. The scout has a lot of blast (if that's the right word) because of the short barrel while the Tikka had more push. Both were comfortable shooting while standing and tbh I was expecting the 300 to be a lot more of a hard kick.

I borrowed the Tikka at Little River from a young guy trying to shoot it off the bench. He wasn't doing well from what I could tell. His friend that had just bought a 338WM even less so.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sakoh » 22 May 2014, 2:47 pm

handofcod wrote:The scout has a lot of blast (if that's the right word) because of the short barrel while the Tikka had more push.

The Scout is heavier which would take out some of the push of course.
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RDobber » 22 May 2014, 3:49 pm

handofcod wrote:I have to admit that my experience with different rifles is very limited but I found the difference between my 308 scout and a Tikka 300WM shooting 180gr factory ammo to be fairly close. The scout has a lot of blast (if that's the right word) because of the short barrel while the Tikka had more push.

That sounds odd to me.

What Tikka are we talking about exactly?

The Scout is a heavy rifle (as mentioned), in the same calibre as a Tikka the weight would make the felt recoil less.

300 Win Mag has noticeably more recoil to me in equal rifles.

Not calling you a liar :lol: just, yeah... Perspective is everything I suppose.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by handofcod » 22 May 2014, 4:38 pm

It was a Tikka Hunter which is 3.2kg according to the website. The advertised weight of the scout is 7.1lb which is more or less equivalent I think.

There's definitely more force involved and I remember thinking I'd have trouble getting back on target because of the muzzle climbing more than I'm used to but it wasn't what I was expecting, ie a super hard wallop and a bruised shoulder.

I remember shooting the scout off the bench for the first time and hating it. I had little experience with a 308 at the time and I felt like I was taking a bashing after five shots. But now when I take a step down to the 223 it feels positively under powered. I say this because the step up from 22lr to 308 was difficult with my inexperience and for a while I felt like I should just sell it but i got used to it and now love to shoot it! But taking the step from the 308 to 300WM was not nearly as steep. Definitely something that I can manage at my experience level (which isn't much truth be told).
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 22 May 2014, 5:21 pm

I've shot a 308, 30-06 and a 300 WM all in the same rifles (Tikka T3 lites). I can tell you they all recoil more than the last, kind of like a graduate step up each time. One thing I've noticed, which may be a perception thing is the WM/RM cases tend to be snappy in recoil (velocity), but when you in up in caliber, it feels bigger (volume). The 485 WM is both, and not very pleasant. I tend to notice velocity more and find it unpleasant (7mmRM in a Tikka lite ). I much prefer volume (9.3x62 or a 444 marlin) over velocity. Kinda like V8 verse turbos. Some people like speed, I like big lumps of lead.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by RDobber » 23 May 2014, 1:31 pm

yoshie wrote:I've shot a 308, 30-06 and a 300 WM all in the same rifles (Tikka T3 lites). I can tell you they all recoil more than the last, kind of like a graduate step up each time.

Same in my experience... Same rifles...

A bit different comparing with different rifles like HOC's situation so I suppose that makes the comparison a bit more difficult.

Not that it really changes the situation I guess. Whatever recoil HOC feels is the recoil he feels.
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by feedr » 23 May 2014, 1:33 pm

Like handofcod touched on, experience is a big factor in felt recoil too don't forget.

If you've never fired a rifle in your life, .308 seems like a canon.

If you've been shooting a .308 for every a 300 WM is only going to seem like a step up.

Hard to compare them objectively if you're already experienced with one of them? I think that's fair to say.
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 23 May 2014, 3:39 pm

I remember when I got my 243, I thought that was a canon, 100 grainers were unbearable, now I don't even notice my 30-06.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Lorgar » 25 May 2014, 7:56 pm

yoshie wrote:I remember when I got my 243, I thought that was a canon, 100 grainers were unbearable, now I don't even notice my 30-06.

Ha ha.

I was exactly the same. 95gr factory ammo and I thought 'Oh s**t, I've made a mistake buying this' :lol:

Like you say, now though... No worries shooting 308, 300WM etc.

The occasional proper canon too ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by johncz » 21 May 2019, 3:20 pm

I don't have a 9.3x62 however I have .243w/308w/300wm/270w and have shot a lot of big bore/magnum rifles and I think we (Aussies) overlook large calibers as they aren't common here, we reach for a yank magnum long before an efficient European big bore. As I understand it the 9.3x62, 35 Whelen and 338-06 are all wonderfull all-round cartridges when loaded appropriately for the chosen game.
IMO I reckon a 22" barrelled sporter chambered in 9.3x62 with a low powered scope would be a great bush rifle for pigs and deer, recoil aside you don't shoot that much in the bush anyway, you could always thread the barrel for a brake when practicing.
By the way a sharp shouldered magnum with 180+ grainers will kick just as much if not more considering the powder column weight when fired.
johncz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey